"Barefoot In The Park" tonight

Feathah Profile PhotoFeathah Profile Photo
Feathah
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"Barefoot In The Park" tonight#0
Posted: 2/8/06 at 12:00am
Home from seeing Barefoot In The Park tonight. Only a week or so into the previews but seems to be in very good shape. Patrick Wilson does an exceptional job and I'm not a particularly huge fan of his. I like him well enough but thought he really shined in this role. Great to see Tony Roberts and Jill Clayburg (spell?) too. They were hilarious! The only weak link for me was Amanda Peet. She seemed to be be shouting and screaming all of her lines instead of projecting her voice. And her delivery was a little boring. It's only a preview though. Maybe she is still finding her way.

The show reminded me why I love Neil Simon's work.

Minor spoiler here...

How do they change that set so fast between the first two scenes! It seems like they wallpaper the entire set inside of a minute. And I don't *think* they have 2 sets. Am I wrong?
"The theater is my life. I live it. I breathe it. I fondle it till it falls asleep." Jack (Will And Grace) http://feathah.blogspot.com
Feathah
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#1
Posted: 2/8/06 at 12:16am
Oh yeah - and it's always nice to see Patrick Wilson in his underwear. But as my friend who was with me remarked - doesn't he always seem to be naked or in his underwear at some point? No complaints here! :)
"The theater is my life. I live it. I breathe it. I fondle it till it falls asleep." Jack (Will And Grace) http://feathah.blogspot.com
Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#2
Posted: 2/8/06 at 6:04am
The right part of the stage is on a turntable (you can easily see the track in the stage). I'm assuming the wallpaper is magnetic.
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#3
Posted: 2/8/06 at 9:52am
Thanks for the feedback. They've into the third week of Previews (started 1/24) and it sounds like Amanda is still struggling for footing. The opening is next Thursday so I've got my fingers crossed for her.

Glad to know that Mister Wilson is doing so well. (I expect nothing less!)
Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

Updated On: 2/8/06 at 09:52 AM
tthomas76 Profile Phototthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#4
Posted: 2/8/06 at 11:34am
I really wish the best for this show... I love it and hope it stays for a while.
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#5
Posted: 2/9/06 at 9:09am
One week to Opening Night. Any thoughts? Predictions?

Give that NY Post Article about the "Curse of the Cort" do you think it will break the "cycle"???

*has fingers crossed that it will because she has tickets to see it in a few weeks*

WithoutATrace Profile PhotoWithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#6
Posted: 2/9/06 at 9:33am
Honestly, I give it 2-3 months (and that is being generous). This show will not break the curse of the Cort.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#7
Posted: 2/9/06 at 9:40am
"it's always nice to see Patrick Wilson in his underwear. But as my friend who was with me remarked - doesn't he always seem to be naked or in his underwear at some point?"

I just have to say that I personally don't have a problem with this.
angelic1 Profile Photoangelic1 Profile Photo
angelic1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#8
Posted: 2/9/06 at 9:42am
I'm seeing the Saturday matinee. I can't wait!
"Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead." -Tony Kushner's Angels in America
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#9
Posted: 2/9/06 at 9:45am
Please post all about.

I've got tickets in April and so so so so want to see this.

MissNY
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#10
Posted: 2/9/06 at 10:23am
I saw it last night and found it to be enjoyable.

What was at the Cort before this?
ShuQ Profile PhotoShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#11
Posted: 2/9/06 at 11:28am
On Golden Pond
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#12
Posted: 2/9/06 at 11:58am
Agree with everything....Amanda Peet the weak link.
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#13
Posted: 2/9/06 at 12:11pm
I'd give it till Tony time.
muscle23ftl Profile Photomuscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#14
Posted: 2/9/06 at 12:14pm
Is it that bad??? I think Amanda is an outstanding actress. I kinda want to see this show. I guess i will decide if i see it while im in NYC.
"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#15
Posted: 2/9/06 at 12:48pm
The production is good, she's just not that good a stage actress yet.
bwayondabrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#16
Posted: 2/9/06 at 9:12pm
if i asked her (amanda peet) for a headshot in the mail, do you guys think she'd sign it?
glad to hear this show is pretty good, and hope it breaks the "curse of the cort"!

:)
elphieisperky
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#17
Posted: 2/9/06 at 9:25pm
Wow, sounds good. Sad how Amanda isn't that great right now, hopefully she'll keep improving. I'm seeing Barefoot with some friends in a few weeks, and I can't wait.
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#18
Posted: 2/9/06 at 9:34pm
Looks like I may blow off Wednesday afternoon since its on TDF.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
Feathah
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#19
Posted: 2/10/06 at 11:48am
I meant to ask - did the show originally have 2 intermissions?
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#20
Posted: 2/10/06 at 12:30pm
From what I understand, yes. It is written for three acts with two intermissions. And, I know folks have not been comfortable with the placement of the one long intermission feeling it cut into the flow of things.

Is that what YOU thought, too?

Feathah
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#21
Posted: 2/10/06 at 12:39pm
*spoiler*

Yes definitely! Plus between Act I and II (which I guess are now just Act I) when they wallpaper and furnish the entire apartment there is a break, but not an intermission. The curtain comes down but the lights do not come up. There are some 60's-ish flowers swirling around on the curtain and half a song is played.

The audience was clearly confused. People left and went to the bathroom and chatted endlessly. Then when the curtain came up people were diving back to their seats and shushing everyone to be quiet.

When the actual intermission came the entire row behind me thought the show was over! An usher told them it wasn't.

I don't know what could be done to fix that though. Maybe they could show the furniture being delivered. Like the delievry guy carrying boxes or furniture, walking back and forth in front of the curtain. Just to give the audience an idea that the show is continuing.
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#22
Posted: 2/10/06 at 12:46pm
Given so many folks being confused and disliking the breaks in action and intermission placement...do you think the director is paying ANY attention to the audience's reacations and comments???

Opening night is in less than one week!

everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#23
Posted: 2/11/06 at 11:06pm
Patrick is a delight, not just in the tighty whities, but a pleasant comic actor. Jill Clayburgh is a real delight, really a total suprise after Appian Way, where she played such a passive character. And Tony Roberts does a really nice job as well.

As for Amanda...she is a strong actor, but she just can't play to a Broadway house. Her portrayal is still too small, too internalized, that it can't be read. I'm sure if they did a film version, she would be perfect (as she has been in other film roles), but she needs a lot more work to stand next to her co-stars.

As for the breaks...as far as I can tell, the house lights didn't go all the way up, and at least the night I was there, most people stayed in their seats. And music blaring so loud?Maybe the people just wanted to leave?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
pennylane2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: 'Barefoot In The Park' tonight#24
Posted: 2/12/06 at 8:13am
I saw this last week. I LOVEDDDDDDDD Jill and Tony. I thought they were great. I actually really enjoyed it, much more than I thought I would. Patrick was really good.. and Amanda-- well it was cool to see her on stage. haha