Page: 1

Your Daddy's Son

My Fair Lady Profile PhotoMy Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Your Daddy's Son#0
Posted: 1/23/06 at 8:52pm
I love this song. How old do you have to be to be to be able to sing this convincingly?
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your Daddy's Son#1
Posted: 1/23/06 at 8:57pm
Sarah is a young, impressionable woman. Maybe that's too vague. She needs to be...

1) Old enough to have a baby.

2) Old enough to understand and grasp the VERY complex emotions of what she is going through in this song.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
My Fair Lady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your Daddy's Son#2
Posted: 1/23/06 at 8:59pm
Ok. So is 16-18ish the youngest Sarah can be?
neomystyk29 Profile Photoneomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Your Daddy's Son#3
Posted: 1/23/06 at 9:03pm
I think more 18ish than 16ish.

I'm not really posting to add anything informative.

I just love Audra on this song. If this song was a person I would dry hump it like there was no tomorrow. Was that inappropriate?
My Fair Lady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your Daddy's Son#4
Posted: 1/23/06 at 9:04pm
Not at all! This song is amazing. And only 4 years!
GirlforTartaglia Profile PhotoGirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your Daddy's Son#5
Posted: 1/23/06 at 9:08pm
Sorry to break the thread.
MY FAIR LADY! please PM me w/ how the part of Miss Jones was! i just got cast as that too! and would like to know what your experience was like as that. What did you sing / how many lines? things of that nature :). Thanks!!

COntinue w/ your thread :)
And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.
Updated On: 1/23/06 at 09:08 PM
jewelchk
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Your Daddy's Son#6
Posted: 1/23/06 at 9:53pm
I think 16 could be okay if it's done well. I think she was around that age in the book... in the musical they sing she was "only a girl", and in my opinion, the song is in part about how she really can't handle her emotions (hence the desperation). Of course, you would have to be old enough to grasp that in order to do it well.

Yes, neomystyk29, that was inappropriate but oh so true :)
"I thought that that was just going to be a like one shot deal for me, you know, but they kept talking about it like, 'when we do the production, when we do the production', and I was like, 'yes, yes, when you do the production, cool, I will come and see it'". - John Gallagher Jr. on SA
theatrebabe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your Daddy's Son#7
Posted: 1/23/06 at 9:56pm
One of the creepiest somgs I've ever heard. But so, so good. I love it. :) Yeah, I'm not really adding anything informative either...
"While some feel it is a film related question, I seem to think it may be a 'I am thinking of losing my winkie' sort of question."
-cheezedoodle
My Strongest Suit Profile PhotoMy Strongest Suit Profile Photo
My Strongest Suit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Your Daddy's Son#8
Posted: 1/23/06 at 10:31pm
I don't think it's creepy. It's just so incredibly moving. Oh, it gives me chills. Nothing very informative either. :)
LET OTHERS RISE TO TAKE OUR PLACE UNTIL THE EARTH IS FREE!
Songsstresss Profile PhotoSongsstresss Profile Photo
Songsstresss
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Your Daddy's Son#9
Posted: 1/23/06 at 10:33pm
PLEASE remember that this song is VERY well known and should really only be sung by a black woman. I, a little white girl from southern California, did this song for quite a few things between the ages of 17 and 18 and realized soon after how silly and innapropriate it was. Musical theater is all about your type. If you are not black and an extremely gifted singer, you should not sing this piece. (Unless it's in your bedroom or shower which I still do!)
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Your Daddy's Son#10
Posted: 1/23/06 at 11:35pm
A friend of mines who is very white and British used this song for auditions back in the late 90s before it was well known and she got a lot of recalls with it.

Unless you have really worked the text and gone to town on it I would not bother. Its such a big sing combined with complex emotions. Age isnt the factor- good interpretation is.

Mind you i can just hear my friend chiming in and saying NO too young re: Your Daddy's Son
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Your Daddy's Son#11
Posted: 1/24/06 at 9:53am
As far as exact (factual) age, if you want to get "technical," Sarah does finally agree to become Coalhouse's wife in the plot (even if they never actually make it down the aisle). So, I would think she would at least have to be the legal age to get married... whatever that might have been in the state of NY in the early 1900s.

Not sure, exactly.

But that would be the "youngest" she could possibly be.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22