Page: 1

HAIRSPRAY's Current Condition...anyone?

tourboi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
HAIRSPRAY's Current Condition...anyone?#0
Posted: 1/22/06 at 6:31pm
My mother's coming to town and wants to see some shows, and I thought she might like HAIRSPRAY but I have hesitation.

I loved the Toronto production, so zesty, energetic, and funny. But both times I've seen it on Broadway (with the Original Cast and Bruce Villanch) I've been dissapointed. Not funny, no energy, and just flat.

Has it gotten better or should I look for other shows she might like? I was also toying with DRS, and I'm dying to see Pryce.
Here_I_Go_Again
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i went a few weeks ago and it was good, not great but good. id try mamma mia or maybe spelling bee
bwayondabrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
id say go see it! shannon durig is an amazing tracy, so much better than marissa in my opinion, and the whole cast is excellent (kudos to becky gulsvig!) and if she goes in like 3 weeks she could see diana degarmo
im sure DRS would be very enjoyable too, but Id say go see Hairspray!
thank you. :)
Katurian2 Profile PhotoKaturian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hairspray is good for a mindless and enjoyable evening. My personal opinion is that you should head for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels instead. But, as of 1 month ago, I thought the cast was great and the show was in as good as shape as ever.
"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck
wickedrentq Profile Photowickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hairspray is certainly fun, but I too agree you should go w/ DRS instead. A top-notch cast, including Pryce, and I personally find it much funnier than Hairspray.
"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli
MissNY
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the current Hairspray cast is the best its ever been. I've seen pretty much every cast and in my opinion the current cast is even better than the original. Especially Shannon Durig, Tracey Miller, Andrew Ranells, John Pinette and Stephen DeRossa
zepka102 Profile Photozepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
it's amazing right now. Shannon is the best Tracy i've seen. i could go on FOREVER about Tracy Miller (i'll spare you this time)... and andrew is not only a really good Link, but also a total sweetheart if you get the chance to talk to him. i'm hoping i can get down there to see it again since i haven't seen John's Edna. but if you want to see the BEST Penny, get there before Tracy leaves! i wish i could!
::bust a move::
HBG Profile PhotoHBG Profile Photo
HBG
Stand-by
Stand-by
I agree that the current cast is the best there has ever been in that show (except I'd get rid of Tevin and bring back Chester). Shannon is phenomenal...the energy she puts into that role night after night amazes me. I've seen the show 15 times with her as Tracy and she's never been anything but fantastic. I also had the pleasure of seeing the Tracy standby, Michelle Dowdy, tonight. Now I will say I had low expectations because I love Shannon so much and I had heard not great things about Michelle, but she really was great! Not as good as Shannon but a close second definitely. She's in again tomorrow so if you have the chance go see her!

And Tracy Miller...god I love her. She really steals that show every night. NO ONE will ever replace her. I can't say enough nice things about her, both as an actor and a person. You MUST go see her before February 5th if you haven't already. You won't regret it.
"Free from what, Tracy? Free from what?"
BroadwayChica Profile PhotoBroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to add some more love to Shannon and Tracy. These 2 are so incredibly talented!! Shannon is an absolutely AMAZING Tracy. She's funny, sexy, cute, she can sing and dance...She just brings an amazing energy to the show.

And Tracy Miller is phenomenal. She steals every single scene she's in. I will be very sad to see her go, as I can't possibly imagine anyone better for that role!
jimmirae Profile Photojimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this cast is "Better than the Original"??? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor
YankeeGal#24 Profile PhotoYankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"I agree that the current cast is the best there has ever been in that show (except I'd get rid of Tevin and bring back Chester)."

Couldn't agree more! Chester was PHENOMENAL as Seaweed in every way. No one else even comes close, INCLUDING Corey Reynolds, the original Seaweed,who was nominated for a Tony. (Can't wait to see Chester in "Tarzan".)

As far as comparing the rest of the class to the original, I'd have to say that Tracey Miller as Penny and Shannon Durig as Tracy are the best in those roles--just great!

Andrew Rannels is very good as Link, but certainly not better than Matthew Morrison, or even Richard Blake! John Pinnette better than Harvey--come on now,not even close. Stephen DeRosa certainly does a good job as Wilbur, but I can't say he is better than any of the others.
"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys
Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Andrew Rannels is very good as Link, but certainly not better than Matthew Morrison, or even Richard Blake!"

I totally disagree. Blake was so bland and boring I almost lapsed into a coma everytime he spoke. He had no charm or charisma.
YankeeGal#24 Profile PhotoYankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: HAIRSPRAY's Current Condition...anyone?#12
Posted: 1/25/06 at 10:07am
I hear ya, but Andrew Rannels' Link is more Ricky Nelson and less "budding Elvis". I guess it's just a matter of how you see the role.
"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys
Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I kind of agree...he's not the heartthrob he should be.
RYANWOODS Profile PhotoRYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Darlene as Mabel brings down the house - i saw it twice when i was over and she got standing ovations from people after she had done the song "I know where i been" The cast at the moment are great - Edna/Penny/Tracey/Link (cute!) So id say go for it! Your so lucky you can see it!! BRING IT TO LONDON!