Page: 1

Sacramento Music Circus announces 2006 summer season

cheezedoodle
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
“Fiddler on the Roof” - July 7 - 16
Playful yet reverent Tevye teeters (like the iconic roof-top musician) between his respect for tradition and his love for his daughters - each anxious to follow her heart after a suitor her father finds unsuitable. Perhaps the most beloved musical ever, “Fiddler on the Roof” is a heart-warming and at times humorous look at a family living through tumultuous times.

Elton John and Tim Rice’s “Aida” - July 18 - 23
A Music Circus Premiere. On the banks of the Nile, unfolds the legendary love story of Aida, an enslaved Nubian princess, and Radames, an Egyptian soldier. The triumphant tale of passion that transcends warring nations plays out to a stirring Tony and Grammy Award-winning pop score by Elton John and Tim Rice.

“South Pacific” - July 25 - 30
The enchanting Rodgers and Hammerstein classic. When America goes to war, a naïve nurse joins the Navy to discover the world. She finds wily island traders, fun-loving sailors and a suave but mysterious Frenchman who sweeps her off her feet. A cargo of musical theatre’s most loved songs!

“A Little Night Music” - August 1 - 6
A Music Circus Premiere. Flirtations and outrageous mishaps result when an eccentric actress, a vainglorious count and a lovesick lawyer (and their various entourages) rendezvous at a Swedish country estate for a weekend of intrigue and romance. Stephen Sondheim’s elegant score features his best-known ballad “Send in the Clowns.”

“The Music Man” - August 8 - 13 - $15 off for children under 12
Theatre’s musical tribute to the optimism, warmth and stubbornness of small town America. There is trouble in River City when traveling salesman Harold Hill comes to town promising to form a children’s marching band to chase away the idyllic hamlet’s imagined ills. His plan hits home, but his motives are called into question by the town’s spunky librarian.

“A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” - August 15 - 20
Hijinks galore as a crafty servant schemes, cajoles and manipulates all of ancient Rome to win his freedom. This uproarious farce by Stephen Sondheim combines a swaggering general, a dippy maiden, a doddering old man and a stable of sexy courtesans in a frantically paced comic anachronism.

“Smokey Joe’s Cafe” - August 22 - 31
The smash-hit Broadway revue is back by popular demand for an extended Music Circus run. Songwriting team Lieber and Stoller wrote an endless list of R&B and rock hits in the ’50s and ’60s including “Stand by Me,” “Hound Dog,” “Yakety Yak” and “On Broadway.” A hip-swiveling, do wopping, hand-clapping evening of memories, music and fun.

Ticket and show information
"Oh Link...your pork is ready..." - Edna Turnblad
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hey, I remember an earlier post all about this...I think I wrote it!

Anyway, boring boring boring. Too bad I didn't rally enough troops to vote for The Secret Garden. But gollydarn it, I tried.
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
cheezedoodle
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well Lizzie - I saw nothing about it on the first three pages of threads here - and considering it was just announced this morning I don't see how you could have. Anyway - moving on. I am looking forward to A Little Night Music and Smokey Joe. Local auditions for these shows are also listed on the site for anyone interested.
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The audition notices have been up on the Equity site for a few days -- the list of shows is in the breakdown.
cheezedoodle
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah - well we will consider this post for all the little people who do not have access to the Equity site or are just interested in the show information.
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
cheezedoodle
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lizzie - this post was basically just informational as I know there are a lot of us here who are theater fans and are interested in regional productions in our area.

I also understand that some here always seem to need to be "in the know" or "The first with the information" and although you may have commented on the season elsewhere, I fail to see where the quality of information such as dates and ticket availability that people look for are actually something you have or had posted.

I apologize if you find my posting of actual information for the season something that you find blase - but I know others will find it useful. So it is for those friends of mine that I chose to post it here.

Also - please note that although the Equity website is indeed available to all - not everyone accesses it on a regular basis. It is for that reason also that I posted it here in a seperate informational thread.

Just so you now have a reason and basis for the exsistance of this thread - something I feel you have a problem with. You may be short and "not" one of the little people - but I also find you to be a "Mental Midget".
lite2shine Profile Photolite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Chill, dude. Lizzie was just saying that she reported earlier about this, that's all. No reason to be worked up like that.

I also am bummed about this season's line up (although I'm going to see both Sondheim show). They have been repeating the same shows (so called 'classic') over and over again. Also ditch the director Arima! Did you see his JCS? A high school production?!

What I'm so irritated about is that this year for "family show," instead of offering kids tix for half price, they only discount lousy $15. I thought they were trying to cultivate young theatre goers, but I guess not.
broadwaybelter Profile Photobroadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yea lizzie did post this in the regional message board