Page: 1

What are you talkin' about Whitty? Taking Gary Colman out of Avenue Q for West End!

GYPSY1527 Profile PhotoGYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Okay so does anyone else have a problem with taking Gary Coleman out of Avenue Q and replacing the character with a blackman who has the same problem? I don't see how Whitty thinks that Gary Coleman won't translate overseas. Different Stokes was pretty much a hit everywhere and I think London audiences will know what the basic idea of the whole Gary Coleman situation is. This idea is a bad move in my opinion! thoughts?
Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson
JACXR71 Profile PhotoJACXR71 Profile Photo
JACXR71
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Even if Different Strokes isn't well known in the UK, Gary's first line explains his whole story...
I'm Gary Coleman, from TV's Different Strokes
I made a lot of money that got stolen by my folks
Now I'm broke, and I'm the butt of everyone's jokes...

I mean, after that, anything else he does should be self-explanatory, no?
If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?
Unmasked05 Profile PhotoUnmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thats the same thing I was thinking....thats really stupid to take the character out...leave it ne.
Facebook...ME !!!
BobbyBubby Profile PhotoBobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They're witty fella's. I'm sure they'll come up with something as equally funny. I doubt Gary Coleman jokes would play very well in London.
Therese
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Mixed emotions - On the one hand, I trust the Q creative team to come up with something good. But I can't quite imagine a male voice singing the "Gary" songs. I take it they're talking about creating an original character, but it seems to me that would involve building up a lot more backstory (whereas the US audience knows all they need to know as soon as they hear the words "Gary Coleman"). Of course, I don't know if there is an appropriate "has-been" that the British audience would relate to.

If nothing else, maybe this will get us a London Q cast album.
"In my own little corner..."
broadwaystar2b Profile Photobroadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who IS replacing the Gary Coleman character?

I'm glad to hear there still in talks for the TV show, but why bother hiding the puppeteers for television now that the show is known for seeing them?
Mandi Moo Profile PhotoMandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't know if I'll like having a man sing Schadenfreude...but like Therese, this could help with a London Cast Recording.
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to admit my stupidity for not knowing who Gary Coleman was before going to see Avenue Q for the first time.

However, when I left the show, even though I didn't really know *him*, I felt I knew exactly who he was by the way that Natalie played/portrayed him.

On the other hand:

Lopez, Marx and Whitty are great, talented guys and I know whatever they change, it will be good. I couldn't see Avenue Q without being Gary Coleman since he(she) is quite a big part of it. However, I have confidence that it will be fantastic in whatever they choose to do!
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Look, the idea of having a celebrity "in" your show is that your audiences will bring their pre-existing knowledge of that person into the performance. It doesn't work as intended otherwise. Avenue Q can survive without a fully-realized Gary Coleman, but kudos to the creators for trying to make this work as well as possible.
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think its funny that Wicked and Q will be going head to head again for the Oliver over there.