Page: 1

Opening Night Tickets

Wudz Profile PhotoWudz Profile Photo
Wudz
Swing
Swing
Opening Night Tickets#0
Posted: 1/16/06 at 10:24am
OK - let's start with the fact I enjoy on and off B/way shows enough to see 15 - 20 per year, and I still don't know the ropes. I've always wondered how to get to see an Opening Night of a top show, and miracle of all miracles I just got opening night tickets to Three Days of Rain. 5th row mezz, but what the heck. Anyhow, here's my question. Was this an odd happening? I've never had the opportunity before, and I'd sure like to again. And, come to think of it, can I go in street clothes? Any suggestions to add to the experience before the curtain goes up?
Broadway_Boy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Opening Night Tickets#1
Posted: 1/16/06 at 11:04am
IT is sort of rare but it does happen that opening night tickets come up. You just have to keep cheakcing ticketmaster or telecharge. Also no you cannot go in street clothes, you have to dress up.
Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR
wickedrentq Profile Photowickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Opening Night Tickets#2
Posted: 1/16/06 at 11:06am
Yeah, I wouldn't advise street clothes, but my dress-up it's not like you have to wear a gown like some of the goers will be, but definitely nice shirt and pants outfit, or suit, maybe some jewelry to go w/ it. With people there in gowns, you really don't want to stick out like a sore thumb in jeans. Monday night at Phantom there were two people in jeans that well...stuck out like sore thumbs. I'll be there too, hope to see you!
"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli
bwayondabrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Opening Night Tickets#3
Posted: 1/16/06 at 11:06am
do they sell opening night tickets just like any other tickets, or are there a lot fewer tickets to sell with all the celebrity guests and stuff?

id like to go to an opening night someday... anything opening in july? re: Opening Night Tickets
wickedrentq Profile Photowickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Opening Night Tickets#4
Posted: 1/16/06 at 11:11am
I can't say for sure, but I imagine they'd sell less.
"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli
Thesbijean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Opening Night Tickets#5
Posted: 1/16/06 at 11:34am
Most shows do NOT sell opening night tickets. Every once in awhile, if a show's opening night is not filled, a few days before a limited amount of tickets will be put on sale for the general public. For some reason, most Ticketmaster shows sell opening nights, and telecharge rarely does. Millie, La Cage, All Shook Up, Woman in White all had opening night tickets on sale online.
Updated On: 1/16/06 at 11:34 AM
bwayondabrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Opening Night Tickets#6
Posted: 1/16/06 at 1:17pm
oh, are you allowed to wait outside the theater to try and get autographs and pics, or no?
ill just try to go to a closing perf or a last performance for a performer...
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Opening Night Tickets#7
Posted: 1/16/06 at 1:22pm
Typically, opening nights are invited only. Though sometimes, a block of tickets will be released to the general public.....

If you want to attend an opening night, you can always try going to the box office (you'll get better results than telecharge or ticketmaster) a day or two before to see if they have anything available.

Other than that, unless you're in the business, or friends with someone associated with the show, an opening night is rarely something you can plan ahead for.
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Wudz
Swing
Swing
re: Opening Night Tickets#8
Posted: 1/16/06 at 1:24pm
I often buy tix when a show first goes on sale. Guess I'll just have to be more aware from now on. Thanks.
Wudz
Swing
Swing
re: Opening Night Tickets#9
Posted: 1/16/06 at 1:26pm
My wife will be thrilled to dress up, especially in April. For me, it's dig out the suit and get back on the diet. Thanks.
Wudz
Swing
Swing
re: Opening Night Tickets#10
Posted: 1/16/06 at 1:29pm
Thanks. This happens to be a Telecharge show. Just glad to have the chance. Bet a bunch of big names will come out for Julia Roberts.
Wudz
Swing
Swing
re: Opening Night Tickets#11
Posted: 1/16/06 at 1:31pm
Thanks for the info. At first I thought it was a mistake, so I bought tickets for the weekend too, just to be sure.
Wudz
Swing
Swing
re: Opening Night Tickets#12
Posted: 1/16/06 at 1:32pm
And that's all I have to say about that . . .

(F. Gump)
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Opening Night Tickets#13
Posted: 1/16/06 at 1:35pm
(you could have just put that all in one post. lol)

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

myManCape Profile PhotomyManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Opening Night Tickets#14
Posted: 1/16/06 at 1:37pm
I managed to get tickets to a few opening nights. I would advise dressing up. Also keep in mind that almost everyone in the audiance is a friend/family of someone in the show. So watch what you say if you end up not liking the show.
bwayondabrain> I tried stagedooring after Light In the Piazza's opening night and John Lithgow was more than happy to sign for everyone. Kelli OHara also signed but everyone else ran out to the party or left with friends and family members so no one bothered them to sign.
"Have they come yet?"
bwayondabrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Opening Night Tickets#15
Posted: 1/16/06 at 6:06pm
thanks, mancape! :)

i want to either try and go see the closing performance of LITP, the last perf. of norbert, or something or someone else...
yeah! i wont bother with the opening nights till im a broadway star :) haha
Wudz
Swing
Swing
re: Opening Night Tickets#16
Posted: 1/16/06 at 6:26pm
Thanks all for both laughs and kindness. As to closing perfs, been to a few, Caroline or Change and Proof notable among them. Very emotional. Have tix to 3/26 "closing" perf of LITP, but happily it was extended again. Be glad to finally get to see it in a few weeks, regardless.
PS: I LOVE Sara Ramirez, too. Just ask my wife! ; )
bwayondabrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Opening Night Tickets#17
Posted: 1/16/06 at 8:25pm
:) sara rocks... her last performance must have been incredible...
how was the proof closing? i love that play!
but now i need to make a new icon of sara!!!! :P

*works away on icon*