Page: 1

CHORUS LINE Revival?

bwayondabrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CHORUS LINE Revival?#0
Posted: 1/4/06 at 7:33pm
I hate to bring this up again, but it was just mentioning the Chorus Line revival coming out this year in the "Looking Ahead in 2006"
to quote:

"I am also looking forward to another revival, A Chorus Line. Due to my young age (wink, wink), I am forced to wait until these classic shows make their way back to the Great White Way to experience them. "
and
"As for experiencing both those theatrical sensations, can't wait for the revival of A Chorus Line."

Anyone heard anything else on this? It must be expected this year, cuz Broadway.com wouldnt put it on their website for nothing! This could be exciting if it actually happens this year....
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#1
Posted: 1/4/06 at 7:37pm
According to ibdb.com the show is supposed to open September 2006, that's the date I've been hearing since the revival was originally announced. No theatre or cast have been announced so I guess nothing's sure.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
QMAN03 Profile PhotoQMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#2
Posted: 1/4/06 at 7:38pm
This is definently coming to Broadway in the near future. But as to the theatre and the actual date it is opening, nothing has been announced.
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#3
Posted: 1/4/06 at 7:42pm
The show will play San Francisco's Curran Theatre in late summer 2006 and then move on to Broadway. Dates are July 9 through Aug. 6.

Opening on Broadway will be Sept. 21, 2006. The theatre hasn't been named.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Benzy92 Profile PhotoBenzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#4
Posted: 1/4/06 at 7:45pm
here's to hoping Nicolette Hart can be in it, since she was so fabulous at SOIV!
bwayondabrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#5
Posted: 1/4/06 at 7:48pm
wow, thanks for the info guys, especially margo- how do you find all that stuff out? :)

but anyway, sorry if i started a pointless thread, i just thought that maybe this had turned into a "the wiz" revival sorta thing- doesnt seem to be happening.

but im glad it is, and heres hopes for a good revival! too bad i wont be in nyc next fall (im going there for 1 1/2 months during the summer though!)
bwayfan3 Profile Photobwayfan3 Profile Photo
bwayfan3
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#6
Posted: 1/4/06 at 8:20pm
I cannot wait for this.
I saw the final matinee of the original show. It was the best theatre experience I have ever had.
Lamc16 Profile PhotoLamc16 Profile Photo
Lamc16
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#7
Posted: 1/4/06 at 8:29pm
i cannot wait for this!
"You've gotta have a swine to show you where the truffles are."
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#8
Posted: 1/4/06 at 8:31pm
I didn't have the chance to see the show on Broadway because it closed in 1990 when I was about 4, but I love A Chorus Line, and I've read the book On The Line which is an amazing book about the making of the show from the point of view of the actors/dancers, there was quite a lot of drama involved in the creation of this show.
Does anyone know if Baayork Lee will be creating her own choreography, doing something similar to what Ann Reinking did with the Chicago revival, or will she re-create Bennett's original choreography? I also was wondering if they're going to remain completely faithful to the original production.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
neocomposer Profile Photoneocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#9
Posted: 1/4/06 at 8:32pm
I think that this one is a little closer to reality than all of the hopes and speculations for the Wiz revival. It has had stronger speculation and following by websites, as you have said. But it is also a bigger (imo) crowd pleaser. Although I dearly love the Wiz!
"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane
iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photoiheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#10
Posted: 1/4/06 at 8:33pm
YAYY! can't wait for this show!
--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB
defying_gravity2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#11
Posted: 1/4/06 at 8:42pm
I'm also really excited about this. I thought it was pretty well known. The show has been listed on the website for the Curran Theatre for some time now. I can't wait to see it.
Pillowpants. 'Nuff said.
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#12
Posted: 1/4/06 at 8:45pm
Bob Avian will be directing and precisely recreating the original staging he co-created with Michael Bennett in 1975. Baayork Lee will be EXACTLY recreating Bennett and Avian's original choreography as she has done for nearly every ACL company on the planet for the past 20 years.

Other than some very subtle changes in the lighting design, due to improvements in technology, the show will be re-created exactly as it was during the original run. It will be set in 1975 and every step, word and costume will be the same. There's been speculation that the original orchestrations may be tweaked a bit -- not sure if that will happen but if it does, composer Marvin Hamlisch and the original orchestrators (including Jonathan Tunick) will be on hand to do it.

The show is being produced by Bennett friend, lawyer and executor, attorney John Breglio as a sort of tribute and monument to Bennett's memory and legacy. NOTHING of any significance will be changed from the original production.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#13
Posted: 1/4/06 at 8:57pm
Thanks, Margo. I guess if the show is being done as a tribute to Bennett it makes sense to re-create the show as it was originally conceived. I always thought that for commercial purposes it'd make more sense to bring something new to the show just because I think audiences have changed. I've never seen this show with the technology or the energy that a Broadway house could provide so I'm sure it will work very well. I wonder if the role of Cassie will be considered a feature role or a principal role for Tony purposes in the 2006-2007 season...I don't know why I care, but I just wonder since it created so much controversy back in the 70s among the cast and supposedly Chita Rivera and Gwen Verdon were a little upset as well.
Jwei123 Profile PhotoJwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#14
Posted: 1/4/06 at 8:59pm
While in a masterclass with Donna Drake, she told me that even during her time with the show, some little details of the original choreography had changed for one reason or another. I remember one example was a strenuous move in the opener that tweaked a little so it was easier for the dancers to do so frequently...I wonder if these changes will be included or if EVERYTHING Bennet originally intended will be included.

...Sorry that was a random and probably difficult-to-understand ramble from an ACL-head.
awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#15
Posted: 1/4/06 at 9:06pm
Baayork Lee recreates the choreography as it stood at the end of the original run. The small changes that came about earlier in the run (and the opening number is SUPPOSED to be too difficult to do 8 times a week so that it looks like a real audition -- I saw the show over a half dozen times during the original run and generally only Cassie does every single step flawlessly) were supervised by Bennett himself have ALWAYS been incorporated into Lee's master version of the show.
Updated On: 1/4/06 at 09:06 PM
broadwaybelter Profile Photobroadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#16
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:04pm
San Francisco: 7/17/06 9/2/06
NY: Previews begin Mid-September 2006

those are the dates for the shows according to a recent casting call
Jwei123 Profile PhotoJwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#17
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:10pm
Margo--Thanks for clearing that up. You always know best.

I really can't wait for this revival!
awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

xrent_headx Profile Photoxrent_headx Profile Photo
xrent_headx
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#18
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:29pm
I would definatly try and get myself back to New York just to see this. only what? 4 months till i can get my G1 and learn to drive :)
- I might be smart - No day but today
justme2 Profile Photojustme2 Profile Photo
justme2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#19
Posted: 1/4/06 at 10:56pm
Yeah, another great show for me to see in SF. Never seen a production of it, and looking forward to this show!
"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."
EugLoven Profile PhotoEugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#20
Posted: 1/5/06 at 12:31am
ME TOO, JUSTME2!!!!

And, I don't think I'm jinxing anything when I say there's little chance of this being a BAD Pre-Broadway premiere in SF! (After "Lennon" and "Mambo Kings")

Hahaha "A Chorus Line" rocks too hard! I can't wait!
There are countless nights when I wish I was in New York at this very moment, then lo-and-behold, fun theatrical events like these happen that remind me why I like being in SF
justme2 Profile Photojustme2 Profile Photo
justme2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#21
Posted: 1/5/06 at 12:39am
SF has been lucky the past couple of years...Wicked, White Christmas, Lennon, Mambo Kings, Lestat and now A Chorus Line.

Whether or not they were hits, we are lucky to see a Broadway show in the works. I'll be there for a Chorus Line, just as I was for the others.

Let's hope you don't jinx it!
"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."
bwayondabrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: CHORUS LINE Revival?#22
Posted: 1/5/06 at 6:40pm
does anyone think the revival is a bit early? i dont think so, but a lot of older audiences may have already seen it, you know? just a thought
and what theatre might be good for it? i wonder if lestat does badly it might move to the palace, but that might be too big, so maybe like...no clue.