Page: 1

I just had a terrifying broadway/disney related thought

jonartdesigns Profile Photojonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
once phantom replaces cats as the longest running show on broadway... theres a distinct chance that if disney keeps open beauty and the beast for a while longer it could take the title. of the current shows the long runner list is
phantom
b&tb
rent
chicago
the lion king
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
riv
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
If you want to talk about terrifying, what about when Grease was number one.
ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Out of the long running hits I think CHICAGO is the only deserving of the title.

Though I doubt it will happen. Atleast it's in the top 10.
Luckydave14
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The only one that probably has a chance of beating Phantom is Lion King.
WhatAWay
Swing
Swing
Wasn't Les Miserables one of the longest running too? You forgot about that one.
ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He is listed the longest running shows that are STILL on Broadway..

Updated On: 1/2/06 at 07:13 PM
jasonf Profile Photojasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The list is depressing enough since Cats is on it...
Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.
mrsjamiewellerstein
Swing
Swing
agreed, jasonf. A thread that mentions both Disney and Cats is scary in itself.
Without cable, hot water, vietnamese food, or you...
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
rent deserves it but won't get it.
xM3L24x Profile PhotoxM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
iliketheater Profile Photoiliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i don't.

Don't get me wronge, i LOVE rent... but to me it just dosen't have that timeless quality that many of the other shows have. It's great now, but in 10years we might be done with it.

JMHO
BroadwayGirl107 Profile PhotoBroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hope to see Rent take that title. But...I don't know...
"This country, this experiment, America, this hubris: what a lament if no one saw it go. Here today, gone tomorrow. Dissipation is actually much worse than cataclysm."--August: Osage County
justagirl2 Profile Photojustagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I vote Chicago. This is scary, though.
stylinbohemian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah! scary!!!! As much as I love Disney...their shows dont deserve that title!
"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"
Sumofallthings Profile PhotoSumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The felines certainly have their fair share.
BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"
stylinbohemian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rent does totally deserve it, phantom will be a classic forever...but cats..eh not the biggest fan, i adore the music - but it does get rather boring at times
"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"
ILUVRENT721
Understudy
Understudy
I luv Rent (clearly) i'm not sure it deserves the title...
We'll have 2 c
Copeman63 Profile PhotoCopeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
This isn't a big surprise... Think of it this way, all of these are huge crowd pleasers and with a couple exceptions, aren't really chocked full o' drama. While it's a shame that lots of shows that are more worthy of the title have closed, it's more likely that they'll be revived sooner, with a fresh take! What if Hal Prince's Cabaret was still running? Then we'd have never seen the awesome Sam Mendes production... Just my two cents.
If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?
BWAYboi_yes Profile PhotoBWAYboi_yes Profile Photo
BWAYboi_yes
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Maybe they'll rename the Shubert the "Walt Disney" Theatre. And then after that goes for 50-60 years, maybe they'll start to name all of the Broadway houses after our Disney friends, "Pooh Bear Playhouse," etc.
MyNameInLights Profile PhotoMyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love Beauty and the Beast... re: I just had a terrifying broadway/disney related thought
"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."
iliketheater Profile Photoiliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i agree Copeman63! The revival of CHICAGO is one of my favorite shows of all time. I can't wait to see what a revival or RENT will look like!

(& lol BWAYboi_yes)
Smaxie Profile PhotoSmaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWAYboi_yes wrote:

>Maybe they'll rename the Shubert the "Walt Disney" Theatre. And then after that goes for 50-60 years, maybe they'll start to name all of the Broadway houses after our Disney friends, "Pooh Bear Playhouse," etc.<

An ironic post, since Disney had the respect to keep the original name of the New Amsterdam Theatre intact, whereas the Shubert Organization has come up with such heinous renamings as the Cadillac Winter Garden, with the former Plymouth and Royale Theatres now named after Shubert chairmen Gerald Schoenfeld and Bernard Jacobs.
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've been upset since A Chorus Line lost the top spot (yes, I was aware of it at my young age), so I don't care anymore. Any list where Andrew Lloyd Webber and Disney shows are winning isn't company I would want my favorite shows to be in.
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 1/3/06 at 02:59 AM
ghostlight2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I understand your beef with the name Cadillac Theatre, smaxie ('cause that's just commercial and crass), but what's wrong with re-naming theatres after the money men? Without Bernie and Gerald, a whole lotta shows would not have gotten made.

Perhaps you'd prefer an artist to get the billing, but at least they didn't knock anyone out (as Hirschfeld did Beck). Or maybe you just don't like change...but I am curious why it's so "heinous" to rename the theatres for them. Thanks.

Topic? Disney is a part of Broadway for good or bad, and they bring in money and lots of work - what of it? We still have our Pillowman, Doubt, Spelling Bee, and so on....as someone else said, longest running does not equate with best. Broadway's big - there's room for everyone...