Page: 1

Les Mes Movie Musical Will it Ever Happen?

nlauar3
Swing
Swing
Les Mes Movie Musical Will it Ever Happen?#0
Posted: 12/29/05 at 2:30pm
Who would be the best actors and directors to put this wonderful musical up on the silver screen?
timote316
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I believe its in the works now. Cameron Mackintosh is in search of a director who will be completely faithful to the musical aspect of it. Done correctly, it could be VERY good... I don't know about how financially successful it would be if a straight movie adaptation of the stage show were made, but it could be very good.
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There have been literally dozens of non-musical films of Les Miz. The most recent starred Liam Neeson and Claire Danes.
The8re phan Profile PhotoThe8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I would actually prefer a live taping of a stage performance with a "Dream Cast" direct to video than a cinematic re-telling of the musical.

Not only would that be true to the stage version, it would also certainly be less costly to produce
Disclaimer - my screen name here does not imply any fondness to ALW's "The Phantom of the Opera", and in no way endorses or supports any production of said musical
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How long do you think the movie would be? The musical is already 2 hours, 45 minutes long. The story would need to be fleshed out even more, possibly new songs added and scenes rearranged. I personally would delete the recitative and use dialog instead. In my vision, it would work better as a movie with arias than as a sung-through film musical. I mean, look at what happened with EVITA and RENT. Movie operas just don't work, in my opinion.
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Read this! It's educational, if nothing else.

P.S. I'm sad that I'm the first to correct the spelling in the subject header. Shame on you all!
http://www.pontauchange.com/Media/index.html
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
IWannaDance! Profile PhotoIWannaDance! Profile Photo
IWannaDance!
Stand-by
Stand-by
There was supposed to be a movie of the musical out in 1993. I remember seeing ads for it. Not sure what happened, though.
tthomas76 Profile Phototthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
It would be awesome if it would happen.. I'm also down with the the Dream Cast live taping of the show. However, I'm not going to hold my breath for it to come out... re: Les Mis Movie Musical Will it Ever Happen?

*edited because I missed a word. re: Les Mis Movie Musical Will it Ever Happen?
Updated On: 12/30/05 at 08:53 AM