Regional theater Equity questions

The Distinctive Baritone Profile PhotoThe Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Regional theater Equity questions#0
Posted: 12/29/05 at 1:36am
Hey all

I'm a non-Equity actor (in Chicago), but I plan on joining Equity eventually ("eventually" being the key word!). However, I'm confused by these different "levels" of Equity--tier this, CAT that, and LORT. What do these different levels mean, and how do they effect weekly pay for Equity actors? Someone told me that weekly pay is based only on the size of the theater and the cost of the tickets, but I'm not sure if that relates to these different tiers and such.

Any help? Thanks!
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Regional theater Equity questions#1
Posted: 12/29/05 at 1:48am
CAT=Chicago Area Theatres
LORT=League of Resident Theatres

Each type of theatre is operated under a different contract. Usually the contract is based on the size of the house, but not necessarily.
Pay wages also differ depending on the contracts. The number of number of performances can also factor into what contract is required of each theatre as well as the number of Equity actors required to be contracted.
There are a lot of differences between the contracts and Equity will often allow a theatre to "bend" the rules a bit depending on the circumstances. But there is a rule book for each type of contract that covers everything you need to know before you sign.
PEACE.
The Distinctive Baritone Profile PhotoThe Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Regional theater Equity questions#2
Posted: 12/29/05 at 1:50am
Yeah--for instance, The Porchlight Music Theatre in Chicago is technically Equity, even thought they usually use only one or two Equity members per show...confusing...
Jazzysuite82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Regional theater Equity questions#3
Posted: 12/29/05 at 1:55am
Well all regional theatres have a ratio that must be strictly followed. It's based on the size of the company and show. SO there is a certain percentage of cast members who MUST be equity. So they look to fill those contracts. Then they can look for non-eqs and if they have money more equity. So for that theatre you mentioned, they prob always higher 2 because they're required to. If the show is say a children's show at an equity theatre, a non-eq actor might get the oppertunity to join the union because this equity contract MUST be filled.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Regional theater Equity questions#4
Posted: 12/29/05 at 2:04am
And this is how one earns points toward becoming Equity, which is a great way to get your card. Every week you rehearse or perform, you earn a point.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Regional theater Equity questions#5
Posted: 12/29/05 at 2:10am
There is also LOA (Letter of Agreement) which allows a "Non" Equity theatre the permission to hire an Equity actor for a role. Equity rules usually apply only to the Equity actor, so YOU may have to stay until one or two in the morning rehearsing or painting the set and HE will be at the bar getting drunk or laid or both!
PEACE.
other321
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Regional theater Equity questions#6
Posted: 12/29/05 at 10:23am
If you haven't yet, check out the AEA website. That's the only way I'm ever able to keep it all straight...

http://www.actorsequity.org/home.html

They also have a link called "How I Got My Equity Card" which has many celebrity accounts that you may find interesting.