Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?

jimmirae Profile Photojimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#0
Posted: 12/24/05 at 12:47pm
Rosie O'Donnell has done so much for Broadway and New York, and not because she had to, and everyone dogs her for it, so I am wondering, Why is this great lady in my eyes so hated on Broadway? I LOVE this woman - for me, she can do no wrong.
"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor
Mandi Moo Profile PhotoMandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#1
Posted: 12/24/05 at 12:49pm
I love Rosie. re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?

That doesn't answer your question...but still.
Hester Prynne Profile PhotoHester Prynne Profile Photo
Hester Prynne
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#2
Posted: 12/24/05 at 12:51pm
I don't. I adore Rosie. When she had her talk show she did so much from the Broadway community.
MassOfMen on 5/17/07: "and lastly, I have no vested interest in LB. I have seen the show, I paid my money (a lot of money for that tix) I didn't watch it on a bootleg, yes I saw the flesh and bone of the people up there working their tails off. But do I really have to explain myself to you? are you the judge jury and executioner of Bwyworld.com message board? no. But I digress, I will leave this subject as I am bored of the rebuttals anyway, and go back to "wasting my time" with the job of building buildings. We have chat boards for architects as well, ya know."
jimmirae Profile Photojimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#3
Posted: 12/24/05 at 12:53pm
Aww, Thanks and Happy Hols to you both! She is a great lady who deserves more credit I truly think. Rosie Rules in my book too! In case she ever reads here, Merry Christmas Rosie & Family!
"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#4
Posted: 12/24/05 at 12:54pm
I love her, too. I doubt anyone here has a legitimate reason to hate her. She's a great thing for Broadway and a great role model.
MyNameInLights Profile PhotoMyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#5
Posted: 12/24/05 at 2:40pm
There's no way I could hate her. I grew UP on her. I love her to death. =)
"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."
TheatreDiva612 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#6
Posted: 12/24/05 at 2:46pm
I think people just assume things and have incorrect misconceptions about her... both of which, are unfortunate
wicked_mimi
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#7
Posted: 12/24/05 at 2:46pm
Some people hate her because she is waaaay too outspoken. She was horrible to Tom Selick(sp?) on her show about guns when her own body guards carry them. She always has to have an opinion about everything, even when it is not needed. One of the reasons her show got shut down was because she tried to get all political on a talk show that was suppose to just be happy and light hearted. She is a great person, no denying that, and I looove how giving she is to Broadway and kids but she sometimes needed to learn when to keep her mouth shut. Plus, have you ever seen her at a Broadway show... you'd never know she is a celebrity in her dirty T-shirt and jeans...
wickedfreak Profile Photowickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#8
Posted: 12/24/05 at 2:47pm
I love the woman so much! Just wondering......what exactly did she do for Broadway? Not saying that i dont like her but just wondering...........
Patronus Profile PhotoPatronus Profile Photo
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#9
Posted: 12/24/05 at 2:49pm
I also like Rosie a lot. I did resent the way that she attacked Tom Selleck for his stance and involvement with the NRA on her show back in the day. I totally respect her opinion and tend to agree with her on the issue, but I just thought it was inappropriate for her to blindside him with her politics on such a usually light format show, but I don't have to agree with everything single thing a person does in order for me to still like them.

I think some people may have (unfounded) hostility toward her because she is a below average singer who gets to live the dream of a lot of Broadway fans and they feel they could perform better than her. Either way, it's completely unnecessary for people to have the amount of venom towards Rosie out of nothing other than jealously.

ETA: Looks like were were typing about Selleck at the same time.

ETA2: She brought Broadway into middle America's home. It opened up a lot of people's eyes to the day to day operation of Broadway and created a lot of new fans.

Updated On: 12/24/05 at 02:49 PM
somethingwicked Profile Photosomethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#10
Posted: 12/24/05 at 2:52pm
FYI wicked mimi her show did NOT get shut down. SHE ended it herself, because she wanted more time to spend with her family. Trust me, the network would have let it run forever if she wanted to. They tried replacing her, with Caroline Rhea, but it just didn't work out....
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
wicked_mimi
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#11
Posted: 12/24/05 at 3:03pm
FYI... she shut it down because her ratings had dropped pretty bad and it was only a matter of time... and Caroline Rhea... that was just a disaster!
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#12
Posted: 12/24/05 at 3:15pm
I don't hate her. I don't even know her very well. I just don't respect her work on or off the stage. Please don't call me jealous as I have no desire to perform. I think she's proven herself inept in both arenas. As a person I have nothing against her.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#13
Posted: 12/24/05 at 3:19pm
"I think some people may have (unfounded) hostility toward her because she is a below average singer who gets to live the dream of a lot of Broadway fans and they feel they could perform better than her. Either way, it's completely unnecessary for people to have the amount of venom towards Rosie out of nothing other than jealously."

I think you're projecting. Jealousy has nothing to do with a celeb with no business in musicals being upsetting to some people. Most people on this board couldn't compete with her anyway - we couldn't sell tickets like she can, and that's why she's up there.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Patronus Profile PhotoPatronus Profile Photo
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#14
Posted: 12/24/05 at 3:19pm
Just to be clear, I was using that towards some people who don't like her - not all.

Sorry if it appeared that I was making a general blanket statement.

ETA: I happen to know a couple of people who can't stand Rosie and it does come from being jealous of her being up there and they are not. You are right though, it's a bigger issue. Their jealousy comes from the fact that she is only on that stage because she is using her celebrity.

I likely wouldn't buy a ticket to see her in a musical, but I do respect all that she has done for the community and I respect her for it.
Updated On: 12/24/05 at 03:19 PM
muscle23ftl Profile Photomuscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#15
Posted: 12/24/05 at 3:22pm
i think Rosie is amazing!!! she is a great actress to begin with...plus a great comedian!!! i was so happy after seeing her in "Fiddler" she has a great timing and she is hilarious, plus a sweetheart at the stage door...a Bway producer and a gay rights spokesperson...Rosie is a goddess!
"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Anakela Profile PhotoAnakela Profile Photo
Anakela
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#16
Posted: 12/24/05 at 3:28pm
Way back in the day I worked on her show for a month when she was doing her show from L.A. I greatly admire her charity works and other endeavors, and she had some of the most fabulous people I've ever worked with working for her, but as a person herself... well, I try not to hate people, but nope, I don't like her very much.

Sample story: when the month was over we were invited to the wrap party, then dis-invited because Rosie had decided she was going to attend the party, (she doesn't usually attend them) and she didn't want the lowly L.A. p.a.'s there "bothering her all night." Yes, we were actually told that. A friend on the staff gave me her invite because she thought that totally sucked, so I went anyway, and I made sure to not walk by the booth in the corner at all during the night so that I didn't "bother" her. That kind of stuff was usual for the course on that show.

And I won't even get into her whole telling a breast cancer survivor that she got cancer because "liars get cancer."
sfboy20
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#17
Posted: 12/24/05 at 3:32pm
i don't like correcting people when it is only a technicality within their post on a topic, but

wicked_ mimi, Rosie show wasn't cancelled because of Rosie's political views or even sexuality. period.

they offered her $30 mil to return for another season (yes, $30 for one season). she turned it down.

i imagine that you read this misperception of her cancellation from a writer with incorrect facts, and if i'm wrong then please let me know - and let me know your source. My source is rosie, as she has published the events surrounding her departure from her show.

as for the topic at hand, i believe that, unfortunately, rosie is disliked for the reason behind my above correction: rosie's outspoken political views - and now even including her blog, which isn't public unless you type in her domain name purposely read her blog - have overshadowed her other work. This is especially unfortunate since it has happened systematically to virtually every artist who has become outspoken about the president and his unjust war.

america loved her for being the soccer mom next door, but no one wanted the soccer mom to have and opinion.
Updated On: 12/24/05 at 03:32 PM
Copeman63 Profile PhotoCopeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#18
Posted: 12/24/05 at 4:58pm
I Love Rosie, hell my dog is named after her! (The other ones name is Fosse...) I can't thank her enough for bringing so much Broadway into my living room, because I grew up in Colorado and the only theatre exposure I had was the touring shows. I agree she is outspoken, but I'd much rather have 10 Rosie's that speak their minds then any of the others who just stay quiet for the ratings. I miss her!
If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?
Mimi Imfurst
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#19
Posted: 12/24/05 at 5:11pm
People don't like abrassive women. The same with Hillary Clinton.
NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#20
Posted: 12/24/05 at 5:58pm
She just always bothered me. I don't hate her, I just don't like her. What I hate is when people that try to claim I'm homophobic because I don't like her. I didn't like her long before I realized she was a lesbian.
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Harpo Profile PhotoHarpo Profile Photo
Harpo
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#21
Posted: 12/24/05 at 6:46pm
Glad there are some others who like her as much as I do. I admire her and her enthusiasm for Broadway.

It's great that she helps bring people to shows. Heck, she is the reason I saw 'Fiddler' on Broadway. I wasn't going to because I've seen it too much through the years. Glad I saw it.
Footlooser Profile PhotoFootlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#22
Posted: 12/24/05 at 6:59pm
Nothing but Love for Rosie. It hink she is an incredible lady and a great advocate for Broadway.
"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings
zelda Profile Photozelda Profile Photo
zelda
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#23
Posted: 12/24/05 at 7:19pm
although i believe her charity work is wonderful and her attempt to booster broadway. i think the reason many people like my self are not fans is we feel she is so fake its hard to know what is real and what is not.
Roninjoey Profile PhotoRoninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why does everyone hate Rosie so much?#24
Posted: 12/24/05 at 7:42pm
Don't hate on Rosie, hate on the system. And, while you're at it, the man. Keeping us all down.
yr ronin,
joey