Page: 1

Piazzaslight gives his light to THE WOMAN IN WHITE...(12/11/05)

Piazzaslight Profile PhotoPiazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So today I went into the city, got my butt over too the Marquis Theatre, and enjyed a great performance of the latest work of our favorite repetitive artist, Andrew Lloyd Webber. The s how, we all know, was entitled THE WOMAN IN WHITE.

As soon as we walk into the theatre, we see a child's nursery, with toys, blankets, yadayadayadayada. When the show starts, a spinning lamp on the floor starts to rotate and takes us into the world of Victorian England.

When adam brazier uttered his first words, "Hello," I thought it came out kind of whiny and nasal. Of course, he improved as the show proceeded, but this was that opening moment, where the audience is supposed to be exposed to something good that will hold their interest until the end of the show.

So we get through the delightfully creepy prologue with the woman herself. Angela Christian was appropiatly distresed as the tortured soul Anne Catherick.

The others were great, too. But, the real star was Maria Friedman as the self sacrificing woman, Marian Halcolmbe. Maria grabs you with her intensity and doesn't let go until the show ends.

Micheal Ball was just hilarious as the villanous and slimy Count Fosco, but of course the rat steals the show from him... (See the show, peoples!!!)

Now, projections: They were a really wise decision of design to pick. For this story, you would need a system that will take the audience from place to place in little time. The pojections mastered that, and made the show really awesome and quickly paced.

As some of you may know, I saw this show in London. The musical was MUCH tighter and better over here than over there. Some of the lyrics were cut out of the speaking parts, you have some descending set pieces, and all that stuff. They were all very wise changes to the show and it's plot.

There was an audience nightmare here, though: Someone's pager or something went off during the seduction scene, which caused everyone to look around. Also, during Lammaside, there were a lot of latesomers that distracted the show. Honestly, get to the show at the time that is printed on the tickets, people.

Overall, a recommended show that you will like of you love a good mystery, or a Victorian melodrama. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Upcoming reviews:
SWEENEY TODD (????)

P. S. I know that their was another review posted on a seperate thread. Sorry.
MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel
Updated On: 12/11/05 at 09:05 PM
AnotherDay46 Profile PhotoAnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Glad you liked the show!! ^__^
broadwaygiant19122 Profile Photobroadwaygiant19122 Profile Photo
broadwaygiant19122
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
quite a positive review... now, im not an ALW fan but i am somewhat interested in this show... i wasnt entirely sure how you felt about him..would you recommend it to a sondheim fanatic?
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think Woman in White is a different theatrical experience that should not be missed. It spins a good and gripping story, has a musical score that is lush and romantic, and is very well-acted and sung.

I also like Sondheim - and I like this one, too re: Piazzaslight gives his light to THE WOMAN IN WHITE...(12/11/05)
BroadwayRandy0711 Profile PhotoBroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I am so excited to see this show. I will be seeing WIW this coming Saturday matinee. Any news on how will be out, if anyone?
Piazzaslight Profile PhotoPiazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Randy: Maria Friedman is out of Wed. and Sat. matinees, and is out on some other performances apparently. She was there on Sunday when I saw it.

Yes, I am an ALW fan. He's my guilty pleasure.
MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel
LeaGirl Profile PhotoLeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I saw it at the Saturday Matinee this week and would have to agree.

I'm not normally an ALW fan, but I found the "mystery" story very engaging, and the music was fittingly... dissonant. I don't think I'll buy the CD or anything, but I enjoyed it within the context of the show.

And I saw Lisa Brescia go on for Maria, she was fabulous - you're in good hands if you happen to be at a performance where Maria is out. Lisa is very confident in the role and sings and acts it beautifully - the older couple behind me figured that there must be a mistake, that she couldn't be the understudy. There was some pre-show grumbling about Maria being out, but Lisa had them all eating out of her hand by intermission.

All around stellar cast - I especially enjoyed Ron Bohmer - he does a great villain.
Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight
cathywellerstein Profile Photocathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bravo! i'm glad you liked it.

leagirl, the cast is truly "stellar" right down every ensemble member.