Page: 1

Will anyone campaign for Jesse L. Martin?

KuhnKrazy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Will anyone campaign for Jesse L. Martin?#0
Posted: 12/5/05 at 1:28pm
Like many others, I didn't care for the Rent movie but like so many others, I thought Jesse L. Martin was sensational. Even the negative Rent reviews from established critics have sung praises for Jesse Martin's performance in Rent. The words "Oscar nomination worthy" and Jesse L. Martin have been linked in many articles and reviews. Now I believe the odds of him getting nominated are slim but I would love to see a campaign mounted for him. Will Jesse's agents send him on the talk show circuit? Will Sony Pictures run a FYC ad in his name? Probably not but but it'd be nice if it happened.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, the second half of your name is surly accurate. Did people really think he was all that good?
PEACE.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What good would a campaign do?
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Ebonic_Singer Profile PhotoEbonic_Singer Profile Photo
Ebonic_Singer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What good wouldn't it do?
joliz Profile Photojoliz Profile Photo
joliz
Stand-by
Stand-by
The latest articles I've seen have actually attached Anthony and Wilson as names for possible nominees for awards from the National Board Review.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177650,00.html#2

I've, unfortunately, yet to see Jesse attached to any awards as of yet.
"I love America more than any other country in the world, and exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." - James Baldwin
KuhnKrazy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Pick up a Variety magazine sometime. Some of the FYC ads are crapshoots at best. Campaigning isn't always a serious quest for an Oscar nomination. Often studios/pr firms/agents will run a FYC as a pat on the back for an actor who did a good job. It's a nice way to get your clients name out there for future projects.
On the other hand, Sally Kirkland is but one example of what strong campaigning can do for an unheralded actor giving a good performance in a poorly received film.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Often studios/pr firms/agents will run a FYC as a pat on the back for an actor who did a good job.

And are we any of those?
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile PhotoInfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought the two best performances in the movie were by Jesse L. Martin and Anthony Rapp...
[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.
BroadwayGirl107 Profile PhotoBroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Martin was pretty darn weak. So...no.
"This country, this experiment, America, this hubris: what a lament if no one saw it go. Here today, gone tomorrow. Dissipation is actually much worse than cataclysm."--August: Osage County
Marquise Profile PhotoMarquise Profile Photo
Marquise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'd campaign for him to be my next husband.
i'm just sayin'...
scooter38432 Profile Photoscooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
If any of the nominating committee saw his DREADFUL performance on the Tony's last year, I can guarantee he won't be an Oscar nominee this year...
Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I have not seen Rent yet but I personally, me, just me and me alone, think he is one of the weakest actors to be on the "law" side of Law and Order.

Marquise....take him you don't have to pay for him , take him it's free.
Updated On: 12/5/05 at 02:23 PM
KuhnKrazy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Often studios/pr firms/agents will run a FYC as a pat on the back for an actor who did a good job.

And are we any of those?

Give me a break. I truly hope you're only playing dumb.
jonartdesigns Profile Photojonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the last fyc ad i saw from rent was the shot from the end of another day, with anthony, jesse, rosario, and wilson. it just said for all categories, not for a specific award though
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel