From the increasing grosses, it looks like it has the makings of a hit

Good news indeed

Poster Emeritus
PJ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#1
Posted: 11/21/05 at 7:15pm
The show has a very strong advance and there's almost always a cancellation line at the theatre.
new_philosophy_girl Profile Photonew_philosophy_girl Profile Photo
new_philosophy_girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#2
Posted: 11/21/05 at 9:05pm
I went and saw this show on Thursday and the theatre was about full capacity. I was one of only like 10 people under the age of 40....but the show is so good, I wish younger people would go and see it. John Lloyd Young is so amazing as Frankie Valli, everyone around me couldn't believe the vocal resemblence, and he is an absolute sweetheart....this show is one of my new favorites!!!
Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643
new_philosophy_girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#3
Posted: 11/21/05 at 9:50pm
I know...I read them too and I couldn't believe it, but he deserves everyone that he received. I know it's early but...I'm thinking he may be a favorite for a Leading Actor Tony :)
Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643
VinnieTheIceman Profile PhotoVinnieTheIceman Profile Photo
VinnieTheIceman
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#4
Posted: 11/21/05 at 9:59pm
ddtruitt, I think you're getting a little carried away with the reviews for Young. While positive, they were hardly earth shattering and he is by no means the favotite to win a Tony, let alone a lock to even get a nom. That being said, namfug is in the internet version of prison. Locked away for his own safety as Jersey Boy is setting house records at the Virginia and will continue to do so through the end of the year while Woman In White is a non-event in this theater season. While Jersey Boys has been a pleasant surprise in this season, it is by no means a major hit. That will potentially be left for Tarzan. When namfug is let out for good behavior or whether he has been banned for life remains to be seen. I kind of miss the teenage fool myself....there are few out there with the unique of combination of arrogance, immaturity, and cluelessness. I hope he is enjoying his padded cell.
new_philosophy_girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#5
Posted: 11/21/05 at 10:10pm
Yeah, I should have put nomination as the last word in my last post. But yeah, he's definitely a shoo-in.
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#6
Posted: 11/21/05 at 10:35pm
Does anyoen know for sure if the porducers petitioned for John Lloyd Young to be put in the leading category?
Harpo Profile PhotoHarpo Profile Photo
Harpo
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#7
Posted: 11/21/05 at 10:51pm
I saw this show in previews and it put me on a high for the rest of the afternoon. I'm a fairly reserved person, but after the show I started yammering to anyone near me while I made my way to the box office to get more tickets for a January show. The entire cast is insanely talented, but my fav was Daniel Reichard.

I don't remember another show where the applause was so sustained after so many songs. And the standing ovation was immediate and en masse. Most shows have standing O's but it usually started by a few people, a few more join them, and then when the stars come out, almost everyone stands. This one was different. It WAS primarily an over-40 crowd (me included) but I did see some youngsters there who seemed just as thrilled.
I hope they have a long run.
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#8
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:07am
YAY!!!!!!!! Daniel was my favorite as well.
He has some voice and those baby blue/green eyes made me swoon.
That man is a star. Move over Cheyenne, make room for Reichard.
I loved Jersey Boys. It blew me away and all of them are very talented.
Jersey Boys will be on Broadway for at least 3 years.
I think it is the next big hit. It is the best in its category.
I thought I would hate it and I had the best time.
I took my webmaster and he still talks about it.
Updated On: 11/22/05 at 12:07 AM
VinnieTheIceman
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#9
Posted: 11/22/05 at 6:07am
Let's go back one season...Hugh Jackman.
VinnieTheIceman
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#10
Posted: 11/22/05 at 10:03am
I understand what you are saying, however although the show is doing well it is hardly a major hit. In addition, Young's noticeses, although kind, hardly are in the "must see" category. Nice show, unexpected enjoyable night of theater, surprising sales, but an afterthought in the scheme of major Broadway. It would take numerous shows to badly stumble for JB to win best musical. A nom for sure, but a long shot to win.
TimeSuckage
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#11
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:49pm
If JL Young is not nominated for a Tony, that's the voters essentially telling Ben Brantley to f**k off, and that would be pretty funny. Brantley wrote him a damn love letter, and the voters are not going to turn around and metaphorically say "Well, we know you liked him, but we don't agree". Tony voters are not going to completely dismiss the opinion of Broadway's most powerful critic.

And, as dd pointed out, who really is his competition in Leading? I'm only talking about a nomination, here.
VinnieTheIceman
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#12
Posted: 11/22/05 at 9:27pm
Of course I saw the show. Loved it. It's far from a masterpiece of theater, but an enjoyable 2 1/2 hours. The show is doing great, but it's hardly a smash hit.
LuvBroadwayHugs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys Have Arrived#13
Posted: 11/22/05 at 10:11pm
I love Jersey Boys, I've heard great things about John Lloyd Young (I saw Dom Nolfi, his understudy and am completely and utterly in love with him!). I'm thrilled to see JB's is doing so well.
"Mrrraaaawwww!" ♥
Updated On: 11/22/05 at 10:11 PM