Page: 1

Need a show for my theater company...

elphieisperky
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Need a show for my theater company...#0
Posted: 11/19/05 at 6:30pm
Hey guys! Haven't actually made my own thread in a while, so this is cool. Anyhoo, I'm in your average, small theater company that just made a huge move from an arts center to a temporary space, so we've been though a lot. Right now we're putting on Company (I'm Jenny), which will open in January. But for our spring musical, we're caught between three shows:
1. The Full Monty (which our director doesn't want to do, but the rest of us want to)
2. Kiss Me Kate (majority wants this)
3. Pippin (most don't want this)
I'd go with Kiss Me Kate, but if our director is more open about The Full Monty, would that be a good choice? We have a cast of about 20, a little more than half are girls. If you could pick one for us, what would it be? I'll be sure to tell my cast what was picked. Thanks guys!
-Elphie
Updated On: 11/19/05 at 06:30 PM
gavrochegirl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need a show for my theater company...#1
Posted: 11/19/05 at 6:33pm
I think Kiss Me, Kate would be the best idea.
What the puck?!
Sumofallthings Profile PhotoSumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need a show for my theater company...#2
Posted: 11/19/05 at 6:39pm
Dreamgirls and it's free.
BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"
BobbyBubby Profile PhotoBobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need a show for my theater company...#3
Posted: 11/19/05 at 6:42pm
YOu need lot's of strong men to pull off Fully Monty. If you do, I'd go with that. The female members of your company may be pissed though, as it has women in it but the roles aren't very juicy. Everyone does Kiss Me Kate. It needs a break. Pippin is one of my least favorite musicals.
Updated On: 11/19/05 at 06:42 PM
shermanslave Profile Photoshermanslave Profile Photo
shermanslave
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need a show for my theater company...#4
Posted: 11/19/05 at 7:03pm
My fave show of all those is Monty, but it is a really heavy male show and the women do very little in it. Perhaps Kiss ME KAte is your best bet.
Please visit Bitchy Waiter
Updated On: 11/19/05 at 07:03 PM
gypsy71
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Need a show for my theater company...#5
Posted: 11/19/05 at 7:17pm
I think any of these is a great choice. I am partial to Monty. But you should keep in mind production costs. I dont know what your budget is but Kiss Me Kate is very expensive, pretty much two period shows in one. And even though Monty can be done present day, it also is more expensive than people think. Another thing to consider is your target audience and what will bring in money and patrons. I feel all three shows will draw a different crowd. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Its not where you start its where you finish..
GClef2 Profile PhotoGClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need a show for my theater company...#6
Posted: 11/19/05 at 7:26pm
Kiss Me Kate All the way. Just for the sake of the show, you already have a built-in audience---GOOD LUCK!
"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish
Jazzysuite82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need a show for my theater company...#7
Posted: 11/19/05 at 7:32pm
um yeah hi how old are you? Cause if there are people under 18 in the show, people might object to the nudity in The Full Monty. I would steer clear from that one. Kiss Me Kate is always a great choice. Is budget really an issue? BEcause if it is there are smaller shows that one could do. DON'T do Dreamgirls...
elphieisperky
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Need a show for my theater company...#8
Posted: 11/19/05 at 8:20pm
Yeah, I'm under 18, but we're hardly doing the bed scene in Company, so I'm sure we won't do anything crazy. But thanks guys for all your help, I'm pretty sure we'll do Kiss Me Kate.
jv92 Profile Photojv92 Profile Photo
jv92
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Need a show for my theater company...#9
Posted: 11/20/05 at 11:23am
Pippin is a good show, but if your looking for a solid, funny, touching show, I'd go with Kiss Me Kate. Good luck with your show!
bigrab1018 Profile Photobigrab1018 Profile Photo
bigrab1018
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Need a show for my theater company...#10
Posted: 11/20/05 at 3:32pm
NOT PIPPIN
"Billy, put down that phylactery...we're Episcopalian." - Spelling Bee