Page: 1

Oprah and the color purple

soulman83
Stand-by
Stand-by
Oprah and the color purple#0
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:23am
I just watched the color purple performances on oprahs show and i was soooooooooooo moved. i would just like to say thank god for oprah because with her backing this show will get the run it deserves, a lot of black actors are getting work because of this show, and i dont think thats happened since Dreamgirls. I really find the musical to be refreshing. finally, something i can go to and say: wow! this is why i am studying musical theatre. performances like that are just incredible. i truly thank you oprah for giving this show the boost it needed and acknowledging the people who came up with the idea. its a true blessing.

P.S. the Amen at the end of "THe Color purple" is significant. Everything in black culture comes back around to god. its just a fact of life.
Patronus Profile PhotoPatronus Profile Photo
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
soulman83
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Oprah and the color purple#2
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:29am
i am completely aware.
Patronus Profile PhotoPatronus Profile Photo
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oprah and the color purple#3
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:32am
Ah, so you purposely created a new thread and knocked a different person's topic off the front page rather than posting in the existing thread with essentially the same title. My mistake.

Updated On: 11/12/05 at 01:32 AM
soulman83
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Oprah and the color purple#4
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:40am
i really am not trying to have an argument with you about this. i just like what i saw. i am not trying to take away from anyone else's thread. i dont have that kind of energy. just wanted to share some thoughts. sorry for doing that.
ticenewyorkcity Profile Phototicenewyorkcity Profile Photo
ticenewyorkcity
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Oprah and the color purple#5
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:50am
oh so 'dreamgirls' was THE last show, as you clearly seem to think. that 'black actors' as you put it, got work....honey they are all around... the are out there and working.

i'm sorry....i could never get seen for aida...and will never get seen for lion king.

i am glad that this show has made it to the boards...and i think it is wonderful oprah has come in to help. she is an amazing woman....who i look up to...

and that is my h/o just responding to 'what i saw'
soulman83
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Oprah and the color purple#6
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:56am
I didnt say that dreamgirls WAS the last show with black actor. i said "alot of black actors are getting work because of this show, and i dont think thats happened since Dreamgirls." i am not saying at all that black actors arent getting work, because i mean there are several that are. you cant say that there are soooooooooooooooo many of them getting work. i mean thats just not true. but we are out there working other places and some of us on broadway. what i meant was that i dont recall there being this many talented black actors on the broadway stage in a show ABOUT black people since dreamgirls. i really wish people wouldnt get snappy. i am not TRYING to be rude. lol i mean seriously.
soulman83
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Oprah and the color purple#7
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:57am
good point about lion king. alot of black actors are getting work because of that show as well. but lions aside, nice to see black actors playing people dealing with issues people deal with
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Oprah and the color purple#8
Posted: 11/12/05 at 2:07am
I just don't see why its a racial issue. Its just good that a new musical is opening and its good. 'nuff said.
soulman83
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Oprah and the color purple#9
Posted: 11/12/05 at 2:18am
...i dont really want to break that down on the board. but this is a great show! i love it! i hope i love it as much as i love Piazza.