Posted: 11/9/05 at 5:39pm
I am!
Ebonic_Singer Profile PhotoEbonic_Singer Profile Photo
Ebonic_Singer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Going to Linda Eder Tonight?#2
Posted: 11/10/05 at 1:15am
I'll post a review tomorrow. She was AMAZING.
Caleb
Understudy
Understudy
re: Who's Going to Linda Eder Tonight?#3
Posted: 11/10/05 at 1:45am
Here's a copy of a review I posted on Linda's message board.

In my opinion, this was one of the finest if not the best live performance I have ever seen.

I thought it was just going to be Linda and her band up on stage. Imagine my surprise and utter delight when I realized that there was a whole string section in addition to the fantastic big band. I was really glad to have lush, full arrangements to support Linda's tremendous performance.

Linda came out in the first half in a stunning purple dress. She's seriously never looked better. She started off with "Almost Like Being In Love/This Can't Be Love". She was more animated and sassier than I've ever seen her before. She was really connecting with the material and really "performing" it in a way that I haven't really seen from her before. She was really selling it.

Her voice was impeccable. I was really astonished. I can't count the number of times throughout the evening that I heard her approach a big money note and think, "Is she really gonna sing that?" Then, not only did she do it, she did it flawlessly and apparently effortlessly. She seemed to get comfortable very fast, and sounded very warmed up. No rough spots anywhere tonight.

I wish I could list all the songs in order and comment on them, but there was no song list printed. She did all the songs from the CD, plus a medley of The Best Is Yet To Come/The Man I Love/Just In Time, a medley of Stormy Weather/The Man That Got Away (heartstopping, by the way!), You Go To My Head (which Judy sang at her Carnegie concert and flubbed the lyrics, which Linda intentionally did in honor of Judy), All For You, San Francisco, and Swanee. They were all fantastic, but I feel like Storymy Weather and The Man That Got Away deserve special mention. Like so many of the performances tonight, time literally seemed to stand still while I was watching. Anyone who thinks Linda is a good singer but a poor interpreter really should have attended tonight to see that they are wrong. Not only were her vocals mindblowing, but there were several times I was bowled over but just a mere inflection she would place on a word or a simple gesture. She has grown in this area tremendously, and I think she's actually one of the best interpreters around. She can get to the core of a song with just her voice, and leave the histrionic interpretive choices to people who can't achieve such effects with their voices alone.

Another highlight, at least for me, was "By Myself". Linda's performance of this was, in a word, ferocious! SHE TORE IT UP! You could hear the anger and determination and bitterness in her voice, and you could see it pouring from her body. It was a real tour de force. And she pulled the ending out really long, flooring the entire audience before they rose up to their feet in one of many countless standing ovations.

As expected, "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows/Over the Rainbow" was really more of an experience than a song. It was really something to see Linda talk about what this moment meant to her, to sing that song on that stage. She was in tears well before the song began, and I was actually concerned that she wouldn't be able to make it through the song. She did, flawlessly. Another standing ovation.

For her first encore, Linda did Vienna like I've never heard. There are no words. When the regular concert was over, I realized she hadn't done Vienna, and was actually kind of relieved. "It doesn't belong on this concert" I thought. Then she started it and I thought, "Oh, man, I thought you weren't gonna sing it." But once she started singing, I realized there's never anytime when you don't want to hear Vienna. It fits everywhere. Linda owns it, and it's always appropriate.

Now that I think about it, I think this was the point in the concert when Linda did San Fransisco and Swanee. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think this was it, because I remember her whole encore was basically her belting up a freaking storm!

Next came perhaps the whole highlight of the entire show: Don't Rain On My Parade. Seriously, this performance was INSANE! I've never been so thrilled while just sitting still. As far as I'm concerned, Linda has acquired ownership of this song until Barbra starts singing it again. It will always be Barbra's first, but Linda has taken it and made it into something that can't be done better by anyone else on the planet. An incredible, incredible performance.

As an encore to the whole evening, Linda closed with "Look For the Silver Lining". It was subdued and touching and poignant. At the very end, Linda looked up and blew a kiss to Judy, and then bid us goodnight.

Ahhhh. Such an amazing night. Linda really should be proud of herself. I really feel like I've witnessed history.

Just a few tidbits left over. There was a funny bit where Linda said she was going to sit down on the stool, which she said was the hardest part of the entire show. As she hilariously sized up the stool and started to sit on it, she realized that the cut of her dress might not leave much to the imagination, at least not to those in the first few rows. "Oh, I actually don't know if I can sit in this dress," she said. One guy shouted from the back, "Nice legs!" She laughed and said, "For anyone who really knows me, you know that I just want to sit like this!" Then she slouched down and spread her knees apart like a cowgirl in a bar. Then she bunched up the dress and stuffed it between her legs and apologized to whoever made the dress, but that was the way it was going to have to be.

She took a moment to thank the two most important men in her life, Jake and Craig. She spoke of them both, especially Jake, with such tenderness and love. She also confessed that Jake was missing schoole tomorrow, but it was okay because his teacher was there too!

When singing "I'd Like To Hate Myself in the Morning", she said she tried to find deeper meaning in the lyrics, but as far as she could tell, it was really just about alcohol. Then, towards the end of the song, she got ahead of the band. Once she realized it, she turned to John Oddo and said, "Am I ahead?!?" Then, out of nowhere, she belted out the freakishly high ending of the song. When the applause was over, she said, "Well, that's what happens when you're drunk. You get a beat ahead!"

That's all that I can think of for now. It was a really incredible evening, and a really touching and fitting tribute to Judy. I think Linda did a great job of keeping everything focused on Judy and on making her proud and honoring her. Wherever she is, I hope Judy enjoyed the performance, because I sure did.
WildhornFanatic
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Who's Going to Linda Eder Tonight?#4
Posted: 11/10/05 at 9:45am
Thank you! Did anyone else attend?!
augustine73 Profile Photoaugustine73 Profile Photo
augustine73
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Who's Going to Linda Eder Tonight?#5
Posted: 11/10/05 at 2:28pm
can someone make a review please.. thanks!
interestedbystander2
Swing
Swing
re: Who's Going to Linda Eder Tonight?#6
Posted: 11/10/05 at 10:38pm
It was a wonderful, wonderful show. The audience was greatly appreciative and Linda did a superb job.

Page: 1