Page: 1

What do you get signed??

kasim Profile Photokasim Profile Photo
kasim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What do you get signed??#0
Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:32pm

I am curious, cause i ended up getting my program signed when i went last time to ny.

But then i thought later and i was like, no one really puts programs on their wall, or dislays them.

so do you guys get programs, playbills, or posters??

i was thinking of doing posters, but even that unless you are displaying is a waist.
Patronus Profile PhotoPatronus Profile Photo
Patronus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#1
Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:34pm
I tend to either have the playbill signed and then hang that on the wall or if it's BCEFA time, I'll buy the signed window card.
little_sally Profile Photolittle_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#2
Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:36pm
Most of the time playbills. Sometimes I'll be holding the playbill and program in one hand so performers end up signing both.
A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
popular_elphie Profile Photopopular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#3
Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:39pm
I usually get the playbill signed always, but if I want it for my wall, I buy a window card.
And then what if you are?
What a Prince would envision?
Although how can you know who you are till you know
What you want, which you don't?
So then which do you pick:
Where you're safe, out of sight, And yourself, but where everything's wrong?
Or where everything's right And you know that you'll never belong?
StephanietheStar Profile PhotoStephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#4
Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:43pm
I get the front of my playbills signed...and then I frame them and rejoice in the memories of meeting wonderful musical theatre performers....

:)

-Steph
and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...
WithoutATrace Profile PhotoWithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#5
Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:46pm
I stage door nearly every show I see and always get the playbills signed. If the show is a musical and has a cast recording, I bring that along to get it signed. I also bring CD covers from previous shows...for example, when I stage doored The Odd Couple, I also brought my Producers CD cover and got that signed in addition to the playbill. (Nathan and Matthew were both very nice) For shows I *really* love, I buy the poster and the souvenir program and get those signed as well. The only show so far that I got a signed playbill, CD cover, poster and souvenir program is Light in the Piazza. re: What do you get signed??
Blue J
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: What do you get signed??#6
Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:50pm
I get Playbills signed and I have a box where I keep them all in my room.
Gingersnap Profile PhotoGingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: What do you get signed??#7
Posted: 10/31/05 at 10:09pm
Usually a program (one of which I did frame)or Playbill.

But I've also had the following signed...

A ticket

One of those cheap framed prints of show posters you buy from street vendors (it was a sort of retro-active autograph)

A paperback cover

The sleeve of my beloved leather jacket

And friends have had performers sign shirts.
http://www.hugh-panaro.net
chinkie azn jai Profile Photochinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#8
Posted: 10/31/05 at 11:13pm
If there is a souvenier program, I'll get that signed on the front cover. If not, then I'll get the playbill signed.

If I'm a big fan of the performer that's in the show I'm seeing, then I'll bring ONE other thing from another show to get signed if it isnt signed already. For example, I had Denis O'Hare sign my sweet charity playbill (because there wasnt a program at the time) and he was delighted to see that I had my assassins cd booklet with me for him to sign.
"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
jimmirae Profile Photojimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#9
Posted: 11/1/05 at 12:50am
I have a really great denim jacket that is like a who's who hall of fame so if I can that gets signed first. I also like to get the coffe mugs from the show signed and sometimes the caps or the show jacket if I must. I have 2 CD's of each show, one gets signed & framed & the other is for use. There is one performer that I am thinking about having sign my arm and having it tatoo'd on.
"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor
Defy_Gravity2 Profile PhotoDefy_Gravity2 Profile Photo
Defy_Gravity2
Understudy
Understudy
re: What do you get signed??#10
Posted: 11/1/05 at 1:04am
I always go on the official website of the show and print out a (legal) picture. I just got this signed at See What I Wanna See last weekend:

re: What do you get signed??

I usually check with staff first to see if it's ok. It has been everytime accept for once and then I got a Playbill. The actors usually really like them too!

Mer
I had just finished shooting a coffee commercial. And ain't it ironic? I don't drink coffee. Coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee.
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#11
Posted: 11/1/05 at 1:10am
I just get playbills signed. I already feel weird asking for just one signiture, so I don't think I could bust out with multiple things for them to sign.

And then I stack them up on my desk collecting dust, because I have no place to put them.

I was at Karmine Aler's last show as Mimi and one (really freaky fan) girl got her to sign the stash. I thought it was cute, but the girl herself weirded me out.
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
cookie2 Profile Photocookie2 Profile Photo
cookie2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: What do you get signed??#12
Posted: 11/1/05 at 8:41am
I generally get a playbill signed if I am doing stagedoor, but when I saw Michael McKeon as Edna in Hairspray, I had him sign an 8x10 b&w glossy of Spinal Tap (it was a publicity photo of the band, not a promo of the movie) and when he walked by me as he was signing tons of Hairspray merch, I said "excuse me, Mr. St. Hubbins" and he stopped turned and smiled, and he even signed the pic "David St. Hubbins" (his Spinal Tap character). That was a great moment. He was like "wow" when he saw the photo. To top it off, my friend who I was with had an 8x10 b&w glossy of the cast of Clue and he was happy to sign that as well. It was a great night.
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#13
Posted: 11/1/05 at 9:03am
My forehead.

It depends on the person. Usually a playbill from the show they were in, but if it's someone really important to me, I'll find something more exciting, like a CD or a poster. I try to get creative, but it doesn't always work. I've got everything from Playbills to random pieces of paper from my mom's purse, posters to old stage door photos.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 11/1/05 at 09:03 AM
alli2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: What do you get signed??#14
Posted: 11/1/05 at 9:21am
people have been getting Mimi's to sign their stashes for years, I don't think it would phase any actress who was asked.

I usually get a playbill signed, unless I've been to the show before, then probably nothing, or a poster if I'm willing to drop the cash. Once I asked Marcy to sign a copy of 'Sorrows and Rejoicings' (that she's on the cover of, heh) after Lennon, that's it though, I think.
ProducersFan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: What do you get signed??#15
Posted: 11/1/05 at 9:24am
I once stumbled upon the Boy from Oz stage door when Hugh was going in and had him sign a post-it note. re: What do you get signed?? Other than that, I always get the Playbill signed and then hang it on the wall going down to my basement. Although I'm starting to run out of room so I guess I'll need to find a new place (or cut back on shows - yeah right).
"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#16
Posted: 11/1/05 at 9:36am
Getting Karmine to sign the stash wasn't what freaked me out, it was the rest of her behavior. It was...a bit much, with the crying and ranting. Like if Karmine weren't so nice, she probably would have wanted to run away.
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#17
Posted: 11/1/05 at 10:16am
I don't normally stage door, but when I send mail, I normally send pictures of the actor in performance, or if they are an understudy, a headshot.
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What do you get signed??#18
Posted: 11/1/05 at 10:19am
I have 4 posters that are signed; but I don't normally prefer posters because they're too big. They take up too much wall space.
I prefer to get Playbills signed. They look nice when they are framed and hanging on the wall.
I also have a couple of signed CD jackets, but I like to keep them with the CDs, so I don't hang those.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~