Page: 1

Sophisticated Ladies

silent
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Sophisticated Ladies#0
Posted: 10/31/05 at 4:36am
Can anyone tell me more about this Broadway show? And was it ever revived?

From the little that I know, Phyllis Hyman was in the show and nominated for a Tony Award.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sophisticated Ladies#1
Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:56am
It is a large-scale, big budget revue of the songs either written by, or made famous by, Duke Ellington.

The show is extremely well-crafted, with some of the best and most energetic dance numbers you will ever see. It was a hit and ran for 767 performances in the early '80s.

The original Broadway cast featured Gregory Hines, Judith Jamison, Phyllis Hyman, Hinton Battle, Gregg Burge, Mercedes Ellington and Terri Klausner (the original matinee "Evita").

Gregory, Phyllis and Hinton were all Tony-nominated, and Hinton won for Featured Actor in a Musical. The show also won for its incredible costumes (by Willa Kim).

There is a DVD of the show available to buy that was taped later in the run on Broadway. It stars Hinton Battle, Paula Kelly, Gregg Burge, Phyllis Hyman and Terri Klausner. I highly recommend buying it. And just try to keep your feet still while you're watching it!

And Phyllis Hyman is breath-taking every time she walks out on stage and begins to sing.

EDIT: No, it has never been revived. It would take a lot of bucks to do it full justice, like the original production.
Deep Discount DVD link
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 10/31/05 at 09:56 AM
silent
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Sophisticated Ladies#2
Posted: 10/31/05 at 11:25am
Thanks for the information. I may just go ahead and buy that DVD.
Marquise Profile PhotoMarquise Profile Photo
Marquise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sophisticated Ladies#3
Posted: 10/31/05 at 11:30am
Phyllis Hyman OWNS me.
She's one of my favorite vocalists.

best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sophisticated Ladies#4
Posted: 10/31/05 at 11:36am
Her life was ended to soon (by her own hands).

I don't think she knew just how special and unique she was. The first time I saw her, I kept thinking "this is something new to Broadway." She's not like any other stage performer I can think of. A one-of-a-kind.

I'm glad we have this performance, as well as other ways (recordings, etc.) to enjoy her talent. She made an impact on me... and many others.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sophisticated Ladies#5
Posted: 10/31/05 at 11:38am
Yes Phyllis Hyman had already done so much at her age and had such a great voice. I was sad to here when she took her own life ten years ago. A great loss.
Sophisticated Ladies
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
roquat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sophisticated Ladies#6
Posted: 10/31/05 at 12:21pm
Mercedes Ellington (Duke's daughter, I believe) made a sort of cottage industry of this show for a while, acting in and/or staging it at regional and touring venues. I think it is one of the best revues EVER, right up there with AIN'T MISBEHAVIN' and SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE.
I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."