Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

× New: Upvote messages you find helpful. Messages with multiple votes will be highlighted. Also posts reported by several users will now be hidden by default (but can be toggled on) while awaiting moderation.
pixeltracker

BOYCOTT Kristin Chenoweth--she appears on The 700 Club?

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 6/15/04
To promote her new CD, she recently sang on this hate filled show. A Christian Music website (cmcdistribution.com) states--"Confirmed television appearances on The Today Show, Tony Danza Show, 700 Club." (update--it's been deleted...)
She can't have it both ways--appearing at AIDS fundraisers and then this. She can pray to whomever she wants, but Pat Robertson thinks i'm a sinner and going to hell. As a gay man, i'm beyond saddened and horrified. She's no friend of mine and won't get a dollar out of me from now on. Not that i would buy her CD--i'm gay and jewish (two strikes!) But when she opens her cabaret show (at Joe's Pub or Don't Tell Mamas), i won't be there and will ask friends to stay away.

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston
Updated On: 4/7/05 at 04:05 PM
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/20/03
I'll post the same question I posted on the other thread about this topic.

Did you stop supporting Barbra Streisand when she recorded an evangelical Christian song?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
musicallover2008 Profile Photo
musicallover2008
Featured Actor
Featured Actor | Joined: 2/4/05
I don't know where to begin. Don't get me wrong on this, but her CD is geared toward her church background and has many Christian songs on it. Please tell me why she can not do an AIDS fundraiser. I think as a Christian she should be out doing fundraisers for different organizations such as BCEFA. Please tell me why she shouldn't. Just because she goes on a Christian talk show to get to her target audience, doesn't mean that she still can't help people with AIDS.
DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/23/03
Can't say that I've ever purchased a Barbra Streisand album. Does that mean I'm out of the club?
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/18/05
It has nothing to do with the type of music she is singing, but the place where she chooses to sell it. Streisand didn't go on the 700 Club to halk her cd. Kristin is sleeping with the hatemongers to sell hers. Big difference.
The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.
bunchamuncha Profile Photo
bunchamuncha
Leading Actor
Leading Actor | Joined: 3/7/05
Why is it there seems to be no mercy given on this board? The "it's either my way or the highway" attitude taken by some people is ridiculous.

Is it far fetched to think Chenoweth doesn't believe in most of the rhetoric that the 700 Club spews? But it's a smart place to market a Christian album??!!
She has supported numerous AIDS/Gay & Lesbian organizations and I don't think she would be if she were so "against" it.
Maybe, just maybe, it is possible to still have Christian values without being prejudiced.
I think she has a good heart and a tough message that's she's trying to get out there, that's it hard and you're not always going to please everyone, but she's trying.

If you don't want to buy her CD or go to her concerts or watch her in film/tv or on stage, fine, but don't condemn her for allegedly supporting hate while it's flying out of your mouth.
If you really want to help the American theater, don't be an actress, dahling. Be an audience..... Don't be taken in by the guff that critics are killing the theater. Commonly they sin on the side of enthusiasm. Too often they give their blessing to trash... Tallulah Bankhead
MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/12/03
It's not the material, it's the venue.

Robertson is the evangelical equivalent of Father Caughlin. It's certainly very possible to be a good Christian without spewing hatred and doing G-ds work. To me Jimmy Carter is a truer embodiment of Christian values than the hate-filled Pat Robertson could ever be.

She's a talented young woman, and I've supported her before here and elsewhere. I have no doubt that her appearance there has guaranteed her a whole new crop of fans - but she's certainly lost me as one.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 4/4/05 at 04:18 PM
AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
Stand-by
Stand-by | Joined: 2/8/05
"Maybe, just maybe, it is possible to still have Christian values without being prejudiced. "

"...but don't condemn her for allegedly supporting hate while it's flying out of your mouth."

AMEN, Bunch!
So long status quo/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be/ BRAVE
musicallover2008 Profile Photo
musicallover2008
Featured Actor
Featured Actor | Joined: 2/4/05
If that is what it takes for you to no longer care for Kristin Chenoweth then you probably weren't that big of a fan in the first place. She goes on a show that says something is wrong that you don't agree with is to me, not a reason to quit liking a musician. Kristin Chenoweth is also speaking at Christian confrences this year. So if that makes her a horrible artist to you then that is your own problem and I can't change that.
whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/4/05
I'm not mad at her. She's obviously an avid Christian, and a good person still, so if it's her choice to promote an album on a Christian TV show, it's her choice. You guys have to remember that not everybody is going to agree with your views, and I can't see why you wouldn't be a fan of her music and talent just because she's appearing on a Christian TV show.
baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
Broadway Legend
What hate is flying out of our mouths in this thread? The original poster indicates that he will no longer patronize Kristen's products because of her apparent willingness to participate on a show that is less than enlightened. No hate being spilled here.
The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.
hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/24/05
Pardon me for my naiveness, but what is the 700 club? I'm just curious.
~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/1/70
Wait she slept with Pat Robertson? I thought she just sang on the show.

If I had a gospel record to sell I'd go on Christian TV to sell it. If Pat Robertson asked me what I thought about his politics, I'd tell him I thought he was full of poop. If Jesus knew what was being said in his name he'd never stop throwing up.

Meanwhile, I want to hear Taylor the Latte Boy. I guess I'll join the boycott when she records "You Are All Going to Burn in Hell, you Sodomites make me Puke!"
midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 6/15/04
As i stated-- she can worship a doorknob, but she's hypocritical if she appears on a show that says homosexuality is a sin while she appears at an AIDS fundraiser. Streisand never did that. I don't hate her. Am i angry? I think i am. And unlike Chenowith, i'm honest. I don't support gays and then appear on a show that condemns them.
'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston
Updated On: 4/4/05 at 04:26 PM
VIETgrlTerifa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/18/04
I wonder if NRA members wanted boycott member Tom Selleck when it was annouunced that he was appearing on the ultra-liberal and control-advocate Rosie O'Donnell show to promote his movie. OT, but we all know the aftermath of the show wasn't pretty.
"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/18/03
If you don't want an album of "Christian" songs, don't buy it. I won't. It is no big deal.

Pat Robertson is odious, and I have never felt he is particularly "Christian". It is a big deal when one preaches intolerance.

Do not tell me that your particular way of getting to God is the only true path. I might tell you about my way of getting to God. You might not like that a whit.

Its all quite grey.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 3/16/05
This post is completely absurd.

Unless Chenoweth herself said something specifically denouncing homosexuals or appeared in a segment called "Why All Jews are Going to Hell," I'm not buying it.

She appeared on a talk show and promoted her CD. That's all she's done.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/20/03
"Streisand never did that."

Streisand paid money to a born again Christian to record one of his songs.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
FosseBoi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/30/04
I'm pretty bi on this situation. I'm a Chistian gay guy, so I dont think it's "bad" that shes going on this program. What I wish someone would do is go on a show and help ppl understand that it is FINE to be gay, and still be a Christian!
On the other hand, I do see how it is "bad" that shes going on this. As someone said previusly on a thread about her singing at the Bush ignogeration, in a way she's back stabbing most of the ppl that made her what she is!

Nuff said on my part.
"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line
MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 9/26/04
Can't we all just get along?
There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.
baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
Broadway Legend
Gotta run - have a KKK meeting at 6.
keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 1/7/05
Are you kidding me? Kristen has been a supporter of AIDS charities as well as a strong supporter of the gay and lesbian community. I think that is far from the hate monger you are painting her to be. She is a Christian and is firm in her beliefs, but she is also open minded enough to support AIDS and gay/lesbian issues. I think perhaps you are the one that is being prejudiced and close minded.
"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman
VIETgrlTerifa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/18/04
Kristin is sleeping with the hatemongers to sell hers.

I thought she was sleeping with Aaron Sorkin? BTW, Chenoweth also went to a Jewish event, is she being hypocritical there also?
"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."
bunchamuncha Profile Photo
bunchamuncha
Leading Actor
Leading Actor | Joined: 3/7/05
my bad...not hate, just intense dislike? I suppose I'm bracing for it.
I think she's beyond talent and I think she'd be hurt to know that people actually could think she would agree with anything hateful.
I guess just don't think people should boycott her simply because of other people's thoughts, not necessarily hers either.
And her response to the loaded question of how does she feel about religion being portrayed on The West Wing was quite reflective of her as a person. Paraphrasing, but she basically said she didn't see it as controversial, but rather as an opportunity to get people talking about their differences.

On the flip side, I'm sure there are Christians out there thinking "well she performs with a bunch of gay people" and I just think that mentality is as ridiculous and maybe she can bridge some of these folks.
Stepping off soap box now
If you really want to help the American theater, don't be an actress, dahling. Be an audience..... Don't be taken in by the guff that critics are killing the theater. Commonly they sin on the side of enthusiasm. Too often they give their blessing to trash... Tallulah Bankhead
Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 3/16/05
I don't think Chenoweth sang at the Bush inauguration....