Page: 1

Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum "Phantom" Movie Picture

Juliette Capulet
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
From USATODAY.com. It looks like the mirror scene.

Tendres Baisers,
Juliette Capulet
The Phantom and Christine
mcphan19 Profile Photomcphan19 Profile Photo
mcphan19
Stand-by
Stand-by
Ok, I'll admit it looks pretty good... so far.

As a die hard Crawford fan, the real test for Mr. Butler will be how he sings Music of the Night, and how he performs Point of No Return and the finale, compared to Crawford's portrayal. For me, these are the pivotal songs/scenes that will ultimately convince me if he is "worthy" of portraying the Phantom.

I'm still opposed to the casting, but who knows, Mr. Butler might be able to pull off a good performance and this movie might even be good, but it won't be the same without Crawford (who btw is 61, not 65, with a voice like an angel - say what you will about his age, or his physical appearance, he's still got that golden voice).

Jen
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
crawford should go back to his retirement home and STAY there
Sally Profile PhotoSally Profile Photo
Sally
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Surprise! BroadwayGuy2 has a snotty comment about Michael Crawford.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't stand the man.. his voice grates my nerves, he is ancient, and he is COMPLETELY over rated.
WindyCityActor Profile PhotoWindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, I'll confess that I have never really seen the appeal of Michael Crawford, and I will also admit that I have never seen him perform Phantom.

Could/Should he have done the movie....probably...about 20 years ago. At 61, he's much too mature to play opposite such as young Christine. Granted the relationship does have a paternal/child - mentor/student aspect to it. However, the idea of a man in his 60's, being sexually obessed with a girl young enough to be his grand-daughter would have been the rather unflattering to Mr. Crawford.

Obviously, he made quite an impression in what will probably be know as his most famous role. But is it really fair to him as a performer to forever link him with a role in which is has out-grown? I sometimes wonder if he feels trapped in this younger "image" of what the believes the general public expects. Being under such scrutiny would make it nearly impossible to anyone to age gracefully.

Michael
PB ENT. Profile PhotoPB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm hoping that this creative team will stick to the fundamentals that worked for the stage so successfully for so long. However, I do hope they allow this young, fresh cast to make the parts their own. No one should emulate or completely copy ANYONE we've seen onstage, including yours or my favorites. Learn from it and make it fly with a modest measure of self- created style.

BG2, my dear~ Regardless of your view, MC is still quite popular. FYI, Maybe ( or maybe not) you might be interested in knowing that every Phantom that I am acquainted with holds a high opinion of him as a performer and respects him for what he's done with the role of Phantom. As do many others in or out of the theater industry.
www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 12/15/03 at 02:04 PM
ChristineDaae Profile PhotoChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love Michael Crawford! He is THE Phantom.

This new pic looks pretty cool! I can't wait for this movie!!!
"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC
Updated On: 12/15/03 at 03:26 PM
BillyLawlor Profile PhotoBillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Emmy Rossum is, indeed, stunning. I'm awaiting the movie's arrival, as everything about it looks great so far- this picture, the cast headshots the picture of the Opera Exterior.
As for Michael Crawford, I admire him as a performer, as many people do, and rightfully so. The man does have a beautiful voice, and has done great things in his career. I agree he should not have done this movie, because of his age, but that doesn't mean its time to start bashing him about it, and telling him to go back to his "retirement home. "
Phantess Profile PhotoPhantess Profile Photo
Phantess
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Ohh this is the first pic i've seen of them in costume!!! THey both look possessed. I think that's good. YAy I'm excited
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Billy, I have to comment on how well you are writing these days! It's a pleasure to read your posts!
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
eponine88
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Alright, to begin with, I have been a major (and I do mean major) fan of Mr. Crawford since I was 3 years old. For me, he will always be THE Phantom (and you have to admit how beautiful it is when he sings Music of the Night)though I do understand why he was not chosen to play the part in the movie. However, I feel that it was completely unnecessary to tell him to "go back to his retirement home". Michael is a wonderful man, who in addition to having an amazing talent, is one of the kindest and most generous people I've ever known.
BudFrump23 Profile PhotoBudFrump23 Profile Photo
BudFrump23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I recognized Emmy Rossum from Mystic River, however...not from anything from Phantom. I couldn't tell where, but I know I've seen her in something before. Any ideas?
I'm as jumpy as a virgin at a prison rodeo!
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I noticed it says Webber wrote a new song for the Phantom (for Oscar eligibility, obviously). I hope it replaces Past the Point of No Return. That song just brings the show to a dead halt for me. It's too repetative and long to be at the end of the show. For me, it's the least interesting song in the show (quickly followed by Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again).
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Phantom05 Profile PhotoPhantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hey everyone....My computer is acting really wierd lately, would it be possible for someone to post the picture?!?!?

Thanks,

Phantom05
------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"
ChristineDaae
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My friend told me she saw a Chandilier picture from the movie??? Anyone know where I can see this??
Sally Profile PhotoSally Profile Photo
Sally
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
For the chandelier pic, try

re: re: re: re: : Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum 'Phantom' Movie Picture

Phantom05 Profile PhotoPhantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
OMG....My mouth is currently hitting the floor!!! That really looks amazing. I am just so excited about this movie, I just think it will be great....In terms of the set, I am thoroughly impressed!!!

See Ya!

Phantom05
------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"
PB ENT. Profile PhotoPB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matt~ Really? You really dislike "Point of No Return?!" I have to admit it's one of my favorite segments of the story. I think it tells alot about where Christine & Phantom have come to this point of the story. The lyrics speak volumes about the characters the Phantom has created for Christine and himself as the real actors slowly reveal themselves. For the first time they both get to show a wide variety of emotions. Longing, anxiety,lust, dispair, anger, disappointment. I love the seduction of it all when it's done nice and slow. I always perk up for this song.

It's such a great the segway into the next song and removing the hood to reveal the real horror to the audience....well, I just think it's a scene and song that absolutely should remain. And Schumacher would be nuts not to include it for his new sexy young cast. I love that scene and have looked and asked everywhere for a video clip of it in its entirtity. Anyone?

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
BillyLawlor Profile PhotoBillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why, Thank You, Uncle Dollypop. I've been working on my writing lately. I wish I had you instead of my current Humantities teacher. She makes me bawl. So Thank You.

Otherwise, the chandelier picture looks quite enticing. I really can't wait for this movie to come out!
ChristineDaae
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
very cool pic of the chandilier!!!!!!!
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aactually, I think 'Point of No Return' is one of the better moments in the show and one of Webber's better tunes. True, the 'you have come here ...' parts are tiring but I think its important to show that Christine recognizes the Phantom is onstage with her. The lyrics aren't haunting but they work. I don't think the song is nearly as long and vacuous as 'Music of the Night' which is just six minutes of imagery that I think stops the show cold.

I think 'Point' suffers from following the completely unnecessary 'Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again' and then a scene or two of meaningless blather from the house managers and what not. But whereas you think it stops things, I think it sweeps in and gets things going again.
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Emmy Rossum was in two episodes of The Practice last season. She also played a young Audrey Hepburn in the Audrey Hepburn story. A list of her film credits can be found at the IMDB.