Now this is early.
Newsday
Cake or death?
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm appalled by their behavior. I just wrote them this email

'Please know that it is terrible form to post a review of a show before the show even opens. Over the past few weeks, I've noticed the dismaying trend of the Newsday site to post either Linda Winer or Gordon Cox's reviews for Broadway/Off-Broadway shows the day of the opening...often hours before the actors even arrive at the theatre.

In our technological age, perhaps it is easy to forget that there are still forms of entertainment that are performed live by feeling human beings. Please afford them the courtesy and respect to open their show without any sort of judgement from your critics. Those actors and technicians will have enough to deal with tomorrow (either positively or negatively).

Thank you for your consideration.'
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
Updated On: 12/4/03 at 01:11 PM
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No, Robbiej, you rock. Could not have said it better.
PEACE.
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mwah to ya, Sueleen!!
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
sparky310 Profile Photosparky310 Profile Photo
sparky310
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
isnt that disappointing..and seriously unprofessional..like they coulndt have given the actors the courtesy to have a wonderful opening night..just crass and in poor taste. whether the review is good or bad
BroadwayPhil Profile PhotoBroadwayPhil Profile Photo
BroadwayPhil
Understudy
Understudy
You go Robbie, couldn't agree more........
Don't be the Bunny ....
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Very well said.
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
bestofbroadway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ken M. says it has "two left feet." Well that's not very good for a dance musical is it? And he says the peak of the show is the opening number "I Won't Dance." If the version that they do on stage is anything like the one they did on the Thanksgiving Day Parade, then my suspicions are correct...Jerry Mitchell only knows how to choreograph strippers.
Hank
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I also agree with robbiej, all the way.
I have a lot of interest in this show, but I'd really rather get it all at once after tonights performance.
And broadway.com, is also guilty of jumping the gun.
Al Dente Profile PhotoAl Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the general rule of thumb is that as long as the curtain is up on the opening night performance (6:30pm), it's not "jumping the gun." But that's just what I've always heard.
bestofbroadway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"Mr. Mitchell's choreography doesn't build from one emotional state to another, despite Lucky's initial pretended awkwardness. The same paradoxical sense of kinetic stasis pervades the show. A couple of numbers break the monotony, but overall, the individual dances aren't shaped to go anywhere or tell a story. They're mostly happy tap routines that could be inserted pretty much anywhere." NY Times

Being as Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodger's dances advanced the plot I don't see how this show works out if Jerry Mitchell can't tell a simple story through dance. Hmm...overrated.
bestofbroadway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
"Mr. Mitchell's choreography doesn't build from one emotional state to another, despite Lucky's initial pretended awkwardness. The same paradoxical sense of kinetic stasis pervades the show. A couple of numbers break the monotony, but overall, the individual dances aren't shaped to go anywhere or tell a story. They're mostly happy tap routines that could be inserted pretty much anywhere." NY Times

Being as Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodger's dances advanced the plot I don't see how this show works out if Jerry Mitchell can't tell a simple story through dance. Hmm...cough-overrated-cough.
Updated On: 12/4/03 at 09:30 PM