Page: 1

READ THIS BOOK IF YOU LOVE MUSICALS!

SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
READ THIS BOOK IF YOU LOVE MUSICALS!#0
Posted: 11/29/03 at 3:56am
I just finished reading EVERYTHING WAS POSSIBLE by Ted Chapin and had to tell you all what a memorable book this is.

Chapin was a young college student who received permission from his faculty advisors to observe a Broadway musical being created from beginning to end. It just so happens that the musical he was a part of was the original production of FOLLIES. And may I just say that this young man knew how to take notes.

This book is an insider’s view of the day in and day out of mounting a monumental project. The egos, the fragile personalities, the artists at their most vulnerable and nastiest moments are all on display.

Hal Prince “Producer” vs Hal Prince “Director”. Hal Prince and Michael Bennett as co-directors, Steve Sondheim helping to solve one of the biggest problems with the out of town show by replacing “Can that Boy Foxtrot” with “I’m Still Here”. The excitement of Chapin as he recounts the day when Sondheim handed him the lyrics to this classic song so he could type them out and carbon copy them to all the production team is a goose pimply inducing bit of American Musical history, vicariously shared with the reader.

Even if you are not a fan of FOLLIES, and I know many are not, you will still enjoy this book, for Chapin does not shy away from the criticisms a good many people heaped upon this show.

Even if you have never heard of FOLLIES, this book is a great record of Broadway in the seventies and how a show is born.

I could go on, but let me just say that I loved this book so much that I bought the friend who loaned it to me a Border’s gift certificate (I felt guilty because I kept it way to long…did not want it to end) and then bought the book for myself, because it should be on all theatre lover’s bookshelves.

Happy Reading!

Sueleen Gay

PS. I know there was a thread about this book a while ago and I tried to find the original to add my review but I could not find it. My apologies to …MasterLcZ…Bulldog? I do not remember who it was.

PEACE.
tpdc
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: READ THIS BOOK IF YOU LOVE MUSICALS!#1
Posted: 11/29/03 at 12:34pm
I agree Sueleen. This is one of my favorite theater books. And I think it is the best book about the creation of a musical that I've ever read. I'm giving it to a few friends as a holiday present this year.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks Sueleen for you review. It is now officially on my Christmas list!
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is one of my "surprise" Christmas gifts from my wife. I can not imagine "I'm Still Here" replacing "Can That Boy Foxtrot" as they are 2 totally different songs with different subject matter. Maybe the book will explain.

I was one of those who saw the original & still have ( as I keep them all ) my old Playbill. Which I had gotten it autographed as it would be worth a mint now. It is fun looking inside & seeing the prices for other shows & for local restaurant at the time
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/30/03 at 08:36 AM