Page: 1

Martini's In Times Square R.I.P

Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Martini's In Times Square R.I.P#0
Posted: 11/22/03 at 10:25pm
Passed by it today & although it has a sign in the window saying closed for renovation & back in a few weeks, it looks like it is closed for good. Anybody have any info on it ?

Speaking of restaurants, steer clear of KFC on the site of my beloved Roxy theater (50 th & 7 Ave) . Sat down to eat & a roach was crawling across the table
Poster Emeritus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Martini's In Times Square R.I.P#1
Posted: 11/22/03 at 10:37pm
Roxy.

The "Roxy" Theatre was on 6th Ave at 49th Street. I believe you're off by one street and one avenue.

Bulldog.

Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Martini's In Times Square R.I.P#2
Posted: 11/22/03 at 10:40pm
Mr Bulldog, it is right down the block from Radio City which I believe is on 50 th St & 6 Ave ( as of today). As a matter of fact, believe Radio City is theater you are referring to. On 6 th Ave & 43 & 44 was the old Hippodrome - now a garage & office building
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/22/03 at 10:40 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Martini's In Times Square R.I.P#3
Posted: 11/22/03 at 10:46pm
The Roxy was down the block from Radio City and it was at 49th Street.

Your post says,"...steer clear of KFC on the site of my beloved Roxy theater (50 th & 7 Ave)." You're off one block and on avenue.

Bulldog.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I will check but I have a reprint of the opening program showing 50 th & 7 th as the address

Just checked a massive book I have - New York 1930 & the Roxy was on 7 the between 50 th & 51 st street - I knew I was not going that crazy
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/22/03 at 10:49 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Several sources I have state and diagram it on 6th Avenue at 49th Street. This includes a prospectus for investors in the venture which I possess.

It was on the same side of the street as Radio City but 1 block south. After it was torn down they built the new structure to fit the architectural scheme of the Rockerfeller complex.

Bulldog.

Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Believe me, I passed it today & it was on 50 th & 7 th. Many times, architechs put in erroneous info by mistake, Check out the book I mentioned. It really is not important. By the way, the theater was right behind the old Taft Hotel - The Taft is no more & the building is condos & the Michaelangelo Luxury Hotel on 51 st . The Taft was on 7 th between 50 th & 51 st

Will continue this discussion tomorrow as going to bed now . Ta Ta
Poster Emeritus
Horsey Profile PhotoHorsey Profile Photo
Horsey
Stand-by
Stand-by
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah, that famous picture. Without it, we'd never have "I'm Still Here" or "Losing My Mind." Maybe Miss Swanson can weigh in on this heated debate.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks Horsey. Maybe this will put finally put the issue to rest

Still stay away from that KFC & still any info on Martini's ?

P.S. Nice icon, Horsey. By the way, Gloria Swanson opened & closed the theater. One of her pictures was the first attraction & her standing in the rubble officilly closed it. Another sad chapter in New York City history.
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/23/03 at 09:57 AM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My confusion is solved.

I know recall hearing that there were two "Roxy" theatres for a short time.

The original Roxy on 7th at 50th St. and the one on 6th & 49th St. Rockerfeller Center opened with two theaters in 1932, Radio City and the RKO Roxy, smaller (3700 seats) than Radio City. Both run by S. L. Rothafel (aka "Roxy"). Two factors closed the smaller one--movie goers were going to the larger with the stage show & movie; and a lawsuit from the owners of the Roxy (on 6th) which was built 5 years earlier in 1927. The owners built that one for Roxy too, but challenged his right to used his own nickname on a theatre marquee. There was litigation and a forced removal in 1933 and so the RKO Roxy became the RKO Center Theatre. In 1934 this became a legit house and premiered THE GREAT WALTZ, and after that show closed it reverted back to movies for the most part. There were two more legit productions including one with sets inspired by
Walt Disney and featuring Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman and Butterfly McQueen. In 1954, it was demolished, this only 22 years after it was built. The site of the RKO Roxy is the SE corner of 6th & 49th Street, acrosss from Citarella (formerly Hurley's).

So, Roxy, we each had a Roxy and were both right on this one.

Broadway Bulldog.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Right, Mr Bulldog

I should have thought of the RKO Roxy . To me, there was only one Roxy & that tends to cloud ones mind. Great way to solve a little dispute. Both right & everyone happy . The RKO Roxy was very plain, severe , austere & lifeless. My Roxy was elaborate, ornate & positively eye popping - the very reason it was torn down.

Have a great day

P.S. To Auggie 27, Ms Swanson passed on sometime ago so we may have to wait sometime before we get an answer
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/23/03 at 10:07 AM
Horsey
Stand-by
Stand-by
Yes. That famous photo of Ms. Swanson standing in the rubble of the demolished ROXY Theatre was the inspiration for Sondheim's "FOLLIES." The photo is of particular note (and inspiration) as Swanson's silent film "The Love Of Sunya" christened the magnificent ROXY on opening day in 1927. So terribly sick and warped that this work of "architectural artistry" was ripped down to the ground.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Horsey, I never knew you had such good taste

I intend, hopefully before I die, to write a book about the Roxy. I am still doing research & need to really get back on the project after the holidays

The NYC Paramount & Capitol theaters were also gems
Poster Emeritus
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, I was straining to be cute (but clearly failed). I well remember the passing of Miss Gloria. Too bad she wasn't around to weigh on Glenn vs. Patti, however. She would've probably tried to replace 'em both.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I kind of thought you knew & we were both trying to be cute. No harm done
Poster Emeritus
Horsey
Stand-by
Stand-by
Yes, Mr. ROXY, and let us not forget the TRAVESTY of the demolition of the four magnificent Broadway theatres (and Picadilly Hotel, where, as a high-school student, I spent my VERY FIRST night in New York City, which had a wonderful, street level coffee shop/diner which was always filled with Broadway actors and people from "behind the Broadway scenes"...buzzing about the goings-on) standing right next door to the MUSIC BOX theatre, ) that were torn down in the 1980's to make way for the horrible eyesore that is The Mariott Marquis. I remember Colleen Dewhurst weeping, leading the protest of the demolition as the wrecking ball smashed into the front of the (original) Helen Hayes Theatre.
Horrible.
Updated On: 11/23/03 at 12:50 PM
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Horsey, I remember the fight to save the theaters. I knew it was a lost cause. I was part of a group trying to get a 3100 seat movie palace in Queens designated as a city landmark. Landmarks said yes but the politicans said no. Probably some $$ changed hands & it went down despite 8,000 signatures of locals on petitions.The man who doomed the theater was Queens Borough President who later killed himself over his involvement in a scandal. He was being groomed to be the next mayor. It meant nothing. $$ & greed are what make the city government go so I knew the theaters would go down. The Astor & Victoria theaters also went along with Gaety Music (records), Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum & the famous block long billboard
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/24/03 at 01:21 PM
Horsey
Stand-by
Stand-by
It's so sick and disrespectful.
This doesn't happen in Europe.
bongoboy Profile Photobongoboy Profile Photo
bongoboy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Martini's In Times#19
Posted: 11/24/03 at 11:53am
Re: Martini's

I work at 51st and 7th and last week (maybe the week before) there was a fire in that building...it looked like it may have started in Martini's...not sure though.

I hope that helps!
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Martini's In Times#20
Posted: 11/24/03 at 6:02pm
Thanks, bongoboy
Poster Emeritus