Congratulations to TABOO !!!

Horsey Profile PhotoHorsey Profile Photo
Horsey
Stand-by
Stand-by
Congratulations to TABOO !!!#0
Posted: 11/14/03 at 1:09am
While the reviews are not "raves." TABOO has received the best reviews of the new musicals to open so far this season. As I had earlier surmised; the Score, and Cast have received praise pretty much across the board.
magruder Profile Photomagruder Profile Photo
magruder
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Congratulations to TABOO !!!#1
Posted: 11/14/03 at 1:19am
No ill will meant to Taboo, but I would just have to say, Avenue Q so far has received the best reviews of the new musicals to open this season.
"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Horsey
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: re: Congratulations to TABOO !!!#2
Posted: 11/14/03 at 1:22am
Yes. You're right. I forgot about AVENUE Q. re: re: Congratulations to TABOO !!!
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Congratulations to TABOO !!!#3
Posted: 11/14/03 at 1:26am
Avenue Q is the Tony Award winner for sure.
Well I hope so. It is my favorite musical this year. I have to see Wicked and Taboo and Wonderful Town before i cast my choice but how can anything out do Q?
Updated On: 11/14/03 at 01:26 AM
Horsey
Stand-by
Stand-by
Yes. AVENUE Q seems to be the real winner so far this season. I hated this show however and left just before intermission.
localonecrew
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i dont know what reviews you guys are reading but the best of the lot seemed to be pretty tepid. saying that cats had more bite and similar comments in other reviews is not something i would be happy about if i were rosie. plus thier advance is miserable. i cant imagine these reviews will help.
BoxOfficeJon Profile PhotoBoxOfficeJon Profile Photo
BoxOfficeJon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the musical this year (if they can pull it off) will be BOMBAY DREAMS.
It has been very successful in London. And there is a huge Bollywood following. Myself included.
...this is wrong on so many levels... Diane Lane in "Must Love Dogs" "If you have poo, now is the time to fling it" -- The Monkey's from Madagascar
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Corine, WONDERFUL TOWN no matter how great will not be competing with WICKED, TABOO, or Q for the Tony since it is a revival.
PEACE.
Horsey
Stand-by
Stand-by
I also hope BOMBAY DREAMS is a huge hit, although it has been nearly impossible to cast here in NYC.
BoxOfficeJon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bring over the London Cast or will Equity fight the big one with that too?
I just love Bollywood very much and find it vrey fascinating and exotic and creative and fun and the way musicals should be.
It is a wonderful score and most likely another of my guilty pleasures.
...this is wrong on so many levels... Diane Lane in "Must Love Dogs" "If you have poo, now is the time to fling it" -- The Monkey's from Madagascar
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would guess that Bombay Dreams' situation is similar to Miss Saigon's--and wasn't the problem that Equity raised the fact that caucasians were being used instead of Asian actors? (In addition to Lea's not being a celebrity at the time).
Updated On: 11/14/03 at 02:13 AM
BoxOfficeJon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But there are hundreds of brilliant Indian actors and actresses in this world.
I could name a few but I would murder the spelling.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thus, these actors need to be cast. I think it's good that Equity wants to support American actors and actors of color--hopefully BD will have no troubles making everything work out.
BoxOfficeJon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well I still want to see it.
And I wish it the best.
It is really the only show I heard that is opening in the spring so far right?
localonecrew
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
england has a huge history of indian culture. new york does not. another spectacle show with no marrow.
BoxOfficeJon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually the Indian cutlture is HUGE in the United States. They sell more Bollywoods videos in the US then many if not most of the other countries. The Bollywood awards this past year where held in New York in a stadium due to the obsession and popularity of the films.
You may be suprised how well it is received.
It must be popular as TIME Magazine did a huge ariticle on Bollywood the influence of Hindu/Indian films when Bombay Dreams opened.
JakeB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The London opening of Bombay Dreams was perfectly timed - everyone was absolutely Bollywood obsessed. I don't know what your fashion senses were like but here everyone was buying Indian themed clothes and bags plus some radio/club songs had Bollywood beats. The song Shakalaka Baby was released as a single, only went to 38 (that's considered a flop here) but it was performed on literally every TV show, which I think generated a lot of audiences. When I went I was in an ethnic minority being white, I hope it brings a new audience in America too.
leeinlondon
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Well the Taboo reviews are mixed but they are a DAMN site better than reviews for Boy from Oz and Wicked !!!
Cadriel
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Bombay Dreams...#18
Posted: 11/14/03 at 7:16am
...definitely one to see in previews. I've heard great things about the score, and I probably will see it (as part of my decision that I should just start seeing all new musicals now that I've got a well-paying job), but surely no one expects it to be a major hit? Hits are ephemeral and hard to guess, but I simply cannot conceive of a Bollywood show making it in New York City...

-Wayne
sheekala
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Bombay Dreams...#19
Posted: 11/14/03 at 7:50am
Well the overall take on the reviews are a bit less than "medium" and with Brantley's pan it's not going to be easy, I think what would help is an aggressive television ad campaign. Maybe they could have Horsey set up camp outside the theater?
You've got to spread joy up to the maximum Bring gloom down to the minimum Have faith or pandemonium's Liable to walk upon the scene
LouW95
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: re: Bombay Dreams...#20
Posted: 11/14/03 at 8:33am
Saw Bombay in London and walked out at intermission. A load of color, repetitive dancing and a soap opera level book. The singing was recorded and not even in synch. It was a terrible let down for us. Theater was half to 3/4 filled as well. It has been running awhile thanks to a large advance and big money from Andrew, the producer. Hope it improves as it travels from London.
sheekala
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: Bombay Dreams...#21
Posted: 11/14/03 at 8:40am
From what I hear Tom Meehan has done his usual superb job of creating a wonderful book, I think it just might work, but it won't be easy..I swear my bet is that Never Gonna Dance ends up the sleeper hit, the group sales presentation was amazing. No other show in the last couple of seasons had such an effect on the groups who attended the performance.
You've got to spread joy up to the maximum Bring gloom down to the minimum Have faith or pandemonium's Liable to walk upon the scene
Princess MimiChica Profile PhotoPrincess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: re: Bombay Dreams...#22
Posted: 11/14/03 at 9:32am
call me crazy, but the Taboo reviews didnt seem any better than the ones for Wicked..maybe i havent read enoug hreviews but were Wicked reviews THAT bad?!
For the record, I would like to say that I hope Wicked wins the Tony over Avenue Q =D
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Bombay Dreams...#23
Posted: 11/14/03 at 11:01am
I'm with you, sheek!

NEVER GONNA DANCE is gonna surprise everyone (haven't seen it yet...anyone got connections for me??)

Very excited for it.
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: Bombay Dreams...#24
Posted: 11/14/03 at 11:04am
What is Bollywood?????