Page: 1

What Broadway "Party" Do You Belong To

bestofbroadway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What Broadway "Party" Do You Belong To#0
Posted: 11/12/03 at 7:18pm
I've noticed while reading this board the variety of tastes and opinions. We could each create our own little factions. Which Broadway "Party" do you belong to? You may not fall perfectly into one of these but who falls perfectly into any "party." Or you can creat your own party.

A) The Conservative Classics- The American Musical has gone bad and is on the verge of disappearing for good! We need to reexamine the direction musical theater is headed in by studying the work of past composers, directors, playwrights (ie Rodgers and Hammerstein, Leonard Bernstein, Cole Porter, Bob Fosse, Comden and Green, Jerome Robbins, etc.) The majority of musicals post 1970's simply don't work.

B) The Liberal Rocking Broadway- Screw the old stuff. Who needs farmers singing about cows and plows or gangsters singing about dice in a sewer. Give me a woman belting her heart out on stage and I'm more than happy. Nothing can compare to the brilliant vocal talents of Heather Headley, Idina M., Adam Pascal...music is changing. Why should we be stuck in the past?

C) The Sondheim(ian)Party- The lyrics, the spine tingling music that will haunt you for the rest of your life is incomparable. Sure there are other great musicals, but none can come anywhere close to the sheer brilliance of Stephen Sondheim's musicals. He is the only great composer left. Sondheim or bust!

D) The Commercial Broadway Party- Who needs serious messages or the unmelodic scores of Sondheim? I just want to have fun and be entertained. Give me tickets to Mamma Mia, 42nd Street or Hairspray any day. The theater is meant to make us forget our troubles, not dwell on them.

This doesn't really cover all the opinons, so create your own. Who would be the president of this faction (ie Sondheimian- Sondheim)? What would be your major platforms? This might be fun.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Broadway 'Party' Do You Belong To#1
Posted: 11/12/03 at 7:21pm
I am all of them...I enjoy mostly everything! re: What Broadway 'Party' Do You Belong To
CCM '10!
PennyLou Profile PhotoPennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yea I can't fit into just one "party" either I love the old show just as much as the new ones and I like going to see happy upbeat shows sometimes and shows that are the opposite.
Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!
Princess MimiChica Profile PhotoPrincess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i'm totally into the B party!! its all about the Rock Musicals people! =D i appreciuate the old stuff, but thats not why I love musicals. oh, and also, (whispers) I *don't* like Heathers voice! ::ducks flames:::
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am split between A & D
Poster Emeritus
WhatDoINeedWithLove?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Combo of A (need to examine some old stuff), B (Passion and talent is key), and D (NEED TO ENJOY YOURSELF)!!!!

Not C, Sondheim is great, but hardly the only great one today!
RobbO Profile PhotoRobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'm a liberal rocking commercial broadway kinda guy...
XING
PED
BillFinn Profile PhotoBillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I am adding a new party from which I am apart of, though I do love Into the Woods and Aida at the same time.

E) The "We Don't Care, We Just Write What We Lived" Party - This includes great composers like Adam Guettel, Georgia Stitt, William Finn, and Jason Robert Brown who are best known for their details and simplicity in their songs. The performers who are now well known in the other parties got their starts here or ended up here once in their lives. (Sherie Rene Scott, Carolee Carmello, Chip Zien, Faith Prince, Lauren Kennedy, Christian Borle, Keith Byron Kirk) These type of musicals you can honestly connect with because each song is so universal and realistic. A mixture of romanticism and realism.
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
Updated On: 11/12/03 at 09:15 PM
BoxOfficeJon Profile PhotoBoxOfficeJon Profile Photo
BoxOfficeJon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
About F

All of the above.
It is a show I love it.
...this is wrong on so many levels... Diane Lane in "Must Love Dogs" "If you have poo, now is the time to fling it" -- The Monkey's from Madagascar
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm a strong C with a touch of B and some occasional A. I shove D's into their lockers or trip them when they're walking down the hall. And it's so funny because their 3-ring binders go sprawling! (Also, I don't think Hairspray is a D. And what would you call Urinetown? Where would A Chorus Line go? Surely it's not a conservative classic, but it's post-1970). I think you need a category for post-modern homage.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Updated On: 11/13/03 at 11:58 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

im a B/D. Love the rock musicals. love the happy shtuff too.

-Christina
Cadriel
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: What Broadway 'Party' Do You Belong To#11
Posted: 11/13/03 at 7:21am
I used to be a hardcore B. I mean, a woman belting her heart out on stage has identified some of my favorite theatrical moments - whether it's Dana Meller as Eponine in Les Miz, Idina Menzel as Elphaba in Wicked, or various women as Florence in Chess. And I sort of identify with the B group.

Then I became a sort of E, where I fell in love with the new crop of composers (like Jason Robert Brown and Andrew Lippa), then by degrees fell in love with Kander & Ebb and Sondheim's scores and the concept musical era, and that drew me further and further back to the point where I now like some old-school musicals, though not unreservedly. I often prefer them through the filter of Goddard Lieberson's magnificent cast recordings to actual live performances, because when today's actors perform yesterday's musicals, something always seems lacking that I'm convinced was there in the first place.

Nowadays, I have a belief that synthesizes some of the above. I believe that theatre exists at three fundamental levels - pandering, populist, and elitist. Pandering I associate with many of the hits of the last 20 years, where a show aims itself at pleasing the lowest common denominator of the audience and becomes (or tries to become) a sellout hit. I would include the less derogatory title of "entertainment piece" for the shows in this category that I like. I won't name names, because I'd probably tick a lot of people off by what I consider pandering, but I think I will mention Cats.

Then there's populist theatre, which I love. Populist theatre aims itself not at the low but at the average - and we are not speaking of pedestrian mediocrity here, but truly glorious, gripping theatre that embraces its audience as worthies while never stooping to pandering or haughtily flying over most peoples' heads. Populist theatre used to be really big - it's what musicals were during their golden era before they started to fetishize the "musical sound." It's also what the better of the mega-musicals are, and the best of the hits are generally from this crop. However, critics recently have taken to dismissing populist theatre out of hand.

Then there are the elitists - if the pandering shows have gone low and the populists for the heart, then elitist theatre tends to be cerebral and go for the mind. This is less good than you'd think. The true elite theatre started around the time of Ibsen; it moved into the musical stage by degrees during the late '60s and was in full bloom by the '70s. Then it died during the '80s, and the current attempts to revive it have met with mixed success. The king of the elitist musical, as I see it, is Sondheim; his shows have, by degrees, reached too far. Sunday in the Park with George is his only full-fledged success as a complete non-populist piece; while the score is glorious the story and characters are almost entirely too cerebral to relate to. The problem with the modern elitist crowd - the most elevated of them probably being Michael John LaChiusa - is that they don't have the sheer knowledge and understanding of what makes theatre tick that Sondheim does, because Sondheim so effectively deconstructed it in the '70s and '80s that reconstruction was made difficult.

I admire many elitist pieces, and I enjoy some entertainment pieces, but in the end I have to say the only hope is for a functioning populist theatre to be restored to the mainstream, and I'm not sure that it's happening.

-Wayne
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hmmm...more of a choice than our political system...

I'm an independent.
amneris4ever Profile Photoamneris4ever Profile Photo
amneris4ever
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm a liberal commercial classist. re: re: re: What Broadway 'Party' Do You Belong To
Blah...
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't figure out what I am. I guess I'm a combo of A,B&C with maybe evena bit of D slipping in for mindless fun once in a while
http://www.danperezgallery.com
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm more a 'B' without having any affection whatsoever for any of those performers mentioned. I guess I lean toward 'D' more than 'A' or 'C.' I'd rather have dumb fun than be brilliantly bored.
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I belong to the Green Party. And, no I don't mean Ellen!
Cadriel
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
So is the Green party fans of Elphaba in Wicked? re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Broadway 'Party' Do You Belong To

-Wayne
cabarethed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I echo JohnPopa.

Liberal with moderate touches, but not much of a fan of the typical mainstream. Conservative kind of puts me to sleep.

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All I know is that "it's not easy being green."
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Broadway 'Party' Do You Belong To#20
Posted: 11/13/03 at 11:50am
I am very proud to reveal that I am a member of the Tupperware Party!
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)