Page: 1

The Recent Oklahoma Revival

BillyLawlor Profile PhotoBillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Recent Oklahoma Revival#0
Posted: 11/3/03 at 9:54pm
I didn't get a chance to see it, but for those who saw it- what did you think? I saw Josephina and Shuler on tape, and they were both good. Shuler was absolutely PERFECT. And although Josephina is incredibly talented she was directed the wrong way, and I hated that take on the role.
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Recent Oklahoma Revival#1
Posted: 11/3/03 at 10:19pm
I only saw the video too, but I agree with you about Shuler Hensley. He was truly excellent as Jud -- he really gave me the creeps during that scene after the box lunch auction. His voice also was wonderful. I thought Josifina was ok, but I was troubled by the way she sang part of People Will Say We're in Love -- the transition from chest voice to head voice was a bit too obvious.

I can't make any comments about the rest of the Broadway cast, but I have to say I very much enjoyed the performance by the young actor playing Curly in the video -- some guy named Hugh -- I think the last name was Jackman? re: The Recent Oklahoma Revival
BillyLawlor Profile PhotoBillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: The Recent Oklahoma Revival#2
Posted: 11/3/03 at 11:15pm
Yes- I was very impressed with him- more-so, hoever with Maureen Lipman who was totally ideal for Aunt Eller. She was so real, it was unbelievable. I'm thrilled that performance is preserved on video. Vicki Simon as Ado Annie was another standout- why don't these people come to Broadway? And for anyone who saw the show- how was Amy Bodnar?
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: The Recent Oklahoma Revival#3
Posted: 11/3/03 at 11:24pm
I'm one of the few people who enjoyed the OKLAHOMA! revival. Yes, the show really creaks in the second act, but the NYC revival had a marvelous cast. TSMrW was excellent as Curley, Andrea Martin was a fine Aunt Eller, Justin Bohon was a delightful Will Parker and Schuler was a great Jud Frye. I thought Josefina was miscast and misdirected. Her acting and singing didn't come across well on stage, and the concept of a "butch" Laurey didn't work for me. There was absolutely no chemistry between Laurey and Curley. Still the Strohman choreography was clever and I happen to love the Rodgers and Hammerstein score.

Then, too, there was that moment in the second act when TSMrW took off his shirt....oh, heart be still!!!!!!! What a six pack!
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: The Recent Oklahoma Revival#4
Posted: 11/3/03 at 11:31pm
I only saw the Broadway production, not the video. Shuler was very good as was Josefina. Many people didn't seem to like her because she wasn't as strong a singer but she didn't sound that bad to me and her acting and dancing really made up for it. I liked their take on the role with making Laurey almost more of a tomboy. It worked pretty well. Overall the show was just okay. It was really long (a little over 3 hours with intermission) and some scenes were paced so slow they got boring (especially the scene leading up to "Pore Jud is Daid"). I thought the dances ranged from great ("Farmer and the Cowman") to so-so ("Many A New Day") with "Kansas City" being the biggest showstopper. The design was a good idea but it just didn't work in the Gershwin Theatre. Even with the entire cast onstage it still looked kinda empty. As for the cast, in addition to the two already mentioned, Patrick Wilson, Andrea Martin, Aasif Mandvi and Justin Bohon all gave great performances (as Curly, Aunt Eller, Ali Hakim and Will Parker, respectively). I don't know what they were thinking when they cast Jessica Boevers as Ado Annie though. Listening to her attempt to belt "I Cain't Say No" was painful and she hardly got any laughs at all. She's very talented, no doubt about that, just completely wrong for the role. Wow, that was a really long post. Anyways, overall I enjoyed the show because I enjoy "Oklahoma!" in general. It wasn't horrible but it definately could've been better.
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The OKLAHOMA! DVD ( Region 1) of the ROYAL NATIONAL THEATRE will be released soon - but no video version, it seems.

I saw the stage version in London ( including the performance of that tall guy with a very good singing voice, Kec re: re: re: re: The Recent Oklahoma Revival) and the filmed version is an inspired move by the creative team. I remember reading an interview with Hugh and Shuler when they were still with the show where they scoffed about the chances of the filmed version being released somewhere else than Wagga Wagga ( sounds like a town in Australia re: re: re: re: The Recent Oklahoma Revival). Little did they know - lol!

But I enjoyed this revival, much more than the film version with Gordon McCrae and Shirley Jones - which was the only version I had seen of the musical then.

Jo