Page: 1

Anyone like ballet? I don't...but...

Lorelai Profile PhotoLorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Anyone like ballet? I don't...but...#0
Posted: 10/20/03 at 1:37pm
Susan Stroman has created a new ballet for The New York City Ballet called....The New Stroman Ballet (very creative, huh?)

I'm not usually one for the ballet but being the Stroman fan that I am (again, see icon), I just got my ticket and it's almost sold out. From what I've heard from industry people, including people from NYCB, is that it's going to be amazing.
(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone like ballet? I don't...but...#1
Posted: 10/20/03 at 4:15pm
I adore ballet (it's my 1st love) and would love to see this! In her interview in Toronto she said it was based around silent film scenarios. When I think of this I automatically think of Keystone Cops lots of near misses as well as the over the top tragedies and spunky heroines. I think it could lend itself very well to a ballet interpretation . Who are the dancers?
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
onceadancer2 Profile Photoonceadancer2 Profile Photo
onceadancer2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The Stroman ballet uses songs from Irving Berlin and Walter Donaldson. However, I find the Stroman ballet somewhat out of place. In my opinion, they are doing this ballet to honor Balanchine's Broadway work. Having danced in Balanchine's shows I can say that his shows were of the time. They were not retrospective musings on a dance form. And they used contemporary Broadway music. If they were going to choreograph a Ballet that paid homage to the spirit of Balanchine's Broadway, I would choose Jerry Herman to compose the score. Because his music signifies and represents the great Broadway musicals and what they stand for. Using Berlin and Donaldson is nice, but I somehow think the Balanchine Centennial should get something different.

Miriam
Every movement has a meaning--but what the hell does it mean!
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In a recent interview talking about this new ballet, Ms. Stroman didn't mention Balanchine's Broadway work at all. Granted, this is only one interview, but in it she said the following (some of which has been posted already):

"I've written a full-length scenario that combines silent film, classical ballet and musical comedy. The music is by Irving Berlin and Walter Donaldson and I'm calling it 'Double Feature'."

That was pretty much what she said on the ballet. I don't know anything about ballet, so I can't comment....except to say I'm glad she came up with a title to replace "The New Stroman Ballet".
(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol didn't stroman do the dance ballet in Center Stage the Movie?

I'd rather learn ballet than watch it, so so damn hard to do. I studied for two years and two intensive summers for 5 hours a day. the end results were worth it.
Updated On: 10/22/03 at 06:18 PM
TxTwoStep Profile PhotoTxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Stroman did do that film choreography. The Balanchine Broadway stuff that leaps to mind is "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" and "Princess Zenobia" from ON YOUR TOES as well as WHERE'S CHARLEY, LOUISIANA PURCHASE, BABES IN ARMS, and BOYS FROM SYRACUSE. For such a prolific ballet person, he did a lot of musical theatre stuff. i can see Stroman (and to some extent, Reinking) doing just the opposite (mostly B'way with several ballets). Tharp seems to set more modern pieces and not in the tradition of classical ballet---and i guess Reinking is more jazz. Those are generalizations, but it leaves Stroman as the ballet champ of the modern era. It certainly ain't Jerry Mitchell. *wink*
Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ballet is theater choreography with a snooty college education
Poster Emeritus
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
FOO on YOU Mr Roxy! The classical ballet has only a limited acquaintance with the jazz style of dance that is more prevelant on B'Way. It's like claiming opera is a musical with big britches!( no NOT bitches! they're in both) There are obviously points of similarity but while a classically trained dancer could do jazz/Bway dance a dancer with only jazz training could NOT do ballet. There is a style in ballet that is not present in B'way Dance. Frankly I think anyone planning a B'way dance career could only benefit from Ballet training. Heck anyone who wants better posture could benefit frm ballet!
Miriam. I agree with u if this is to be a tribute To Balanchine a more appropriate musical score would have been better. But I'm not sure the Stroman work really IS a tribute ( even if it is under the aegis (sp?) of the tribute. She really isn't a Balanchine style choreographer.
And as I've said before, the story ballet @ the end of Centre Stage would NEVER work in a live production. Close ups never do!!
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
Updated On: 10/25/03 at 04:28 PM
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know everyone seems to love Tharp but her choreography never really did it for me. Reinking, on the other hand, I think is amazing. If she just finds the right show for her choreography (I didn't see Look of Love but I heard about it), then she could do even more amazing things than she has already done (Chicago etc).
What I have always liked about Stroman's approach to choreography is her inventivness....she has come up with things that just blow my mind. If anyone has read the book on the making of The Producers, maybe you have an idea of what I am talking about because (only my opinion) Ms. Stroman had a great deal more to do with the development of the show than she's given credit for.
Of course this is all my opinion, I have never seriously studied dance, but I do a fair amount from what I have observed and from what friends (dancers) have told me. I admire when choreographers make a point to have experience with different types of dance. I was probably one of the only people who liked Stroman's new version of the dream ballet for Oklahoma and am looking forward to seeing this new ballet..
emmamia Profile Photoemmamia Profile Photo
emmamia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
i would love to see Stromans new work! I think she is one of the best choreographers in the business. she really knows how to move people around a stage to maximize the effects she goes for. (did that make sense?) I would love to dance any piece she does!
~*~ Little Boys Who Play With Fire Get Their Fingers Burned ~*~ Tanya (Mamma Mia)
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To SabreLady, my comment was made in jest. I respect ballet as I do all other art forms
Poster Emeritus
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
(Hugs & kisses as she makes up with Mr Roxy)
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
emmammia -
does that mean you're going to try to catch the ballet?
to anyone who is thinking about it, better act soon, i think they are only doing 7 performances of it....
TxTwoStep Profile PhotoTxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Stroman is also very inventive with props and scenery impacting on the dancing. Wonder if her ballet will have more than the minimal we associate with "serious" dance?!?!
Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."