Page: 1

Anna and the Tropics

JO125
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Anna in the Tropics#0
Posted: 10/14/03 at 9:47pm
Saw "Anna In The Tropics" this weekend at the McCarter in Princeton. I will preface by saying that I attended the reading of this play at the Public Theatre last April, and really loved what I heard. I, therefore, had high expectations going in this weekend.

Fortunately, it did not disappoint. I really enjoyed this production. I found the play to be intense and riveting. The story completely engaged me, even though I was already familiar with it from the reading. The performances were terrific, and I am happy to hear it announced that the cast will be moving to Broadway intact. In my opinion, a fine addition to this Broadway season. I do wonder if and how the writer and director might change things for Broadway, however. Guess it remains to be seen.

It was really interesting to me, comparing the reading to the production, how some scenes played out just how I had imagined from the text, and others were done slightly differently. It's funny where your imagination can take you when all you have is the text and the actor's expressions and body language to rely on.

(Sorry for my error in title--thanks Princess for catching that and correcting).
Updated On: 10/15/03 at 09:47 PM
Princess MimiChica Profile PhotoPrincess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Anna and the Tropics#1
Posted: 10/14/03 at 10:56pm
I can't WAIT to see Daphne in this!!
I have to nit-pick here: isn't it called Anna IN the Tropics?! or am I crazy?
DavidMegg Profile PhotoDavidMegg Profile Photo
DavidMegg
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: re: Anna and the Tropics#2
Posted: 10/15/03 at 12:07am
Ooh... this is the first show I have an inside scoop on!
I know the cast is rehearsing 2-3 days a week at the McCarter for the Broadway run.
I'm unsure about script/direction changes (although I would presume the script would stay in tact since it's published and that version DID win the Pulitzer.)
The set is basically the same, with the addition of a scrim/backdrop and the wood tones to the set are going to be darkened for the Royale theatre.
I know that one cast member was holding out, which is why the delay in announcing the full cast until yesterday. But they all are going, which will be great for NY audiences. This is a very tight group of actors (I mean that in terms of their performances, not their social circle!!)
Hope everyone will enjoy this production!
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Anna and the Tropics#3
Posted: 10/15/03 at 12:08am
yay David! re: re: re: Anna and the Tropics
JO125
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: re: re: Anna IN the Tropics#4
Posted: 10/15/03 at 2:33am
Yes Princess, you are correct about the title. I was not thinking as I typed, and now the darn title error will remain for all perpetuity--sorry all!!! (Do we have an embarrassed icon to add here?) Still a great play whatever you call it (although the author deserves his title printed correctly--sorry to Mr. Cruz). And yes, Daphne was great!
Updated On: 10/15/03 at 02:33 AM
JO125
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: re: re: re: Anna IN the Tropics#5
Posted: 10/15/03 at 3:04am
David, did you or will you be seeing the show at the McCarter?

In an interview with Nilo Cruz on Theatermania.com, he is quoted as saying "I am still making a few little changes", and "When you have a world premiere, I don't think the play is finished. Usually it takes a second or a third production to really refine the script". He continues in the interview that during various productions "I've been revising the script as I go along".

That is why I expressed thoughts about potential changes for the Broadway version, even though it won the Pulitzer and has bben published (They had it for sale at the McCarter, along with lots of interesting things such as cigar boxes and jewelry).
DavidMegg Profile PhotoDavidMegg Profile Photo
DavidMegg
Stand-by
Stand-by
Anna IN the Tropics#6
Posted: 10/15/03 at 8:08pm
Hey Jo!
I just found out that there ARE some things (minor) in the script being changed.
My friend is working on the show at the McCarter and while they won't be going to Broadway with it, said friend will be helping with the transfer!
-david.
JO125
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Anna In the Tropics#7
Posted: 10/16/03 at 10:00pm
David,
I think it's cool that you have some inside info on the production. It's been so long since I saw the reading that I can't be certain about script changes that might have ocurred between that reading and the McCarter production. I did, however, notice what appeared to be some changes in stage direction from what I had remembered. I was hoping to get to speak to someone after the show and ask about specifics, but no one came out after the matinee. I had also assumed some plot twists from the reading that I am not sure played out the same at the production. Maybe when it comes to Broadway, I will get some questions answered. re: Anna In the Tropics
StateOfJade Profile PhotoStateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anna in the Tropics#8
Posted: 10/16/03 at 10:52pm
I saw this as well last Sunday. It was a really interesting piece, different from anything I've ever seen before,and it was a really beautiful story. Jimmy and Daphne were the highlights of the show. There's a really weird twist to the end, but I won't spoil it for those going to see it ^_^.

Being the dork I am, I approached Daphne after the show and gave her a letter and some pictures from an old gig at Joe's Pub, and I had a semi-intelligent conversation with her, and she gave me a hug re: Anna in the Tropics.Made me very, very, happy. And apparently, she didn't have to learn how to smoke a cigar like that, lol.

But anyway, it's definitley something worth seeing. I know it's moving to Broadway in a few weeks, does anyone know the exact date?
"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1
Updated On: 10/16/03 at 10:52 PM
JO125
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: Anna in the Tropics#9
Posted: 10/17/03 at 3:10am
It starts previews at the Royale on November 1st. Yeah, I also didn't want to give away spoilers. I think the surprises are one of the story's biggest assets. re: re: Anna in the Tropics