Vibrato... who do you think has the best and the worst??

FFARLS
Understudy
Understudy
My vote- Alice Ripley and Lea Salonga- they both have very consistent and beautiful vibrato's. I think they define vibrato.

Also, I haaaate when someone does not vibrato or has an annoying one (i.e. Mandy Gonzalez, it's out of control!!!!! It's as if she has no control over it whatsoever!!)
WhatDoINeedWithLove?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its not bway (and I am embarresed that I watched this) but Carmen on American Idol 2! Her vibrato is insane, it is way out of control and sounds like a goat!
Bwaybabie Profile PhotoBwaybabie Profile Photo
Bwaybabie
Understudy
Understudy
Agree that Alice has a splendid vibrato. Sutton Foster's amazes me...so natural and so sustained.

Liza's, much as I love her, is getting a bit wobbly. Then again, she's Liza so she can get away with it.
robyn525600
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Best: Linda Eder
Worst: Christine Andreas - UGH!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
Deena Jones2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Worst- Darius De Haas! Just listen to him kill C.C. on the Dreamgirls concert.
Seany Profile PhotoSeany Profile Photo
Seany
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think Raul Esparza DEFINES vibrato. Listen to how powerful it is on the ROCKY HORROR and TICK TICK BOOM recordings.

Tommy Korberg from CHESS fame has a great vibrato too.
Sutton Foster and Alice Ripley have amazing ones as well.
There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
amneris4ever Profile Photoamneris4ever Profile Photo
amneris4ever
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Any over kill on vibrato doesn't sit well with me. I love Julia Murney, but can't STAND the way she sings "Maybe I Like it This Way" from Lippa's "The Wild Party" because of her vibrato. It makes me feel like she has no control over it.
Blah...
ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree on overkilled vibratos. I think Sutton has a great vibrato, actually. She smoothes her way into it. It's not a constant vibrato... she uses it when appropriate. Alice, on the other hand, gets up into her head voice and legato is no longer a term she's familiar with. Sometimes even in her lower range... has anyone ever heard her version of "I Dreamed a Dream"? It's too shrill to me. I've heard her sing many songs where I think her voice is glorious, but the moment her vibrato goes out of control in places, it ruins the song for me. It just shows lack of power and control to me. It irritates me more than anything else... and YES, I've heard her "West End Avenue"... I don't think I like any song she's ever sung LESS. Hell, I enjoy her over annunciated "Call From the Vatican" more...and that's saying a lot!
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
Bwaybabie
Understudy
Understudy
Daisy Hilton, we're obviously never going to see eye to eye on the Alice Is-She-Or-Isn't-She-The-Greatest-Belter-Of-Her-Time? issue, but it's okay, haha. I still think you kick ass :)
Bwaybabie
Understudy
Understudy
\
Updated On: 10/1/03 at 04:02 PM
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Worst ever: Mandy Patinkin
PEACE.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Awww... *flattered* Thank you!!!!! :)

Yeah, it's A-okay if we never see eye to eye on Alice's vibrator... erm... vibrato. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Vibrato...  who do you think has the best  and the worst?? We all know she stole it from Emily anyhow (the first, not the latter... though, she did try to steal Emily's "R's" once).
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
BrdwyThtr Profile PhotoBrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bwaybabie
Understudy
Understudy
Hahaha....ohmigod, I'm never going to be able to say that word now without laughing. Vibra...*snickers uncontrollably*
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Look, I changed my avatar! NO more Emily... it's all about me, dammit! :)

(My hair was looking rather brown in this pic... it was actually dirty blonde at the time... damn lighting.)

I'm as white as a ghooooooooooooooost. :)
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, and by the by, I was considering naming the vibrator Rosey Ripley because it's pink and has pretty roses around the top! What do you think... do we approve?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i LOVE Patti LuPone but she does have crazy Vibratto, but that's because she's an older diva who's certainly sung some of the hardest scores for females.

Liza as well has a crazy vibratto, but again, liza is an older diva and we know that tends to happen.

Deena Jones2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Yes, Tommy Korberg! What an amazing voice and vibrato! Does anyone know what he's up to?
Albin Profile PhotoAlbin Profile Photo
Albin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Best female-Christiane Noll
Worst female-Christine Andreas

Best male-Steve Amerson
Worst male-tie-Mandy Patinkin and Michael Ball
BillyLawlor Profile PhotoBillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Linda Eder and Patti LuPone rank extremely high on my list. Sutton's is amazing as well. 2 of the biggest stars ever, Liza and Bernadette sometimes annoy me with their vibratto. Lea Salonga also has a gorgeous one as well.
King Stevos
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
My picks: for best: Mark Kudish, and Kristen C

Refuse to say who has the worst, peoples opinions on some subjects should stay opinions, and not have to be debated

STEVOS
"IF I TRY THERE MAY BE A CHANCE / WE COULD LOVE WITH OUR EYES CLOSED/ WITH OUR EYES CLOSED WE COULD CHANGE THE WORLD!"- Stephen Dwight
Deena Jones2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Best- Maureen McGovern! Please come back to the theatre!!!
JO125
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Hands down best vibrato--Raul Esparza
Sumofallthings Profile PhotoSumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WORST EVER is definetely David Hasselhoff that man is insane with vibrato
BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"