Page: 1

chess - VERY confused

Lorelai Profile PhotoLorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chess - VERY confused#0
Posted: 9/27/03 at 11:57pm
i bought the london version of chess a few nights ago and finally got the US version today. my first surprise is, "someone else's story" isn't even on the london version, and on the US version it's sung by florence, not svetlena, as it was the other night at the benefit concert. also some of the songs seem to be in a different order each time. i am very confused. can someone explain this?
(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: chess - VERY confused#1
Posted: 9/28/03 at 12:31am
(just listened to the US version of "you and i")

i know i have pondered this before.....but.....

WHAT THE HELL EVER HAPPENED TO MARCIA MITZMAN?!
(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."
Seany Profile PhotoSeany Profile Photo
Seany
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: chess - VERY confused#2
Posted: 9/28/03 at 12:34am
Chess has been changed SOOOOOO many times. Some changes are stupid, some changes are good. There is no official version of the show. It's perfectly normal for you to be confused. I don't get it either. It's got amazing music though!
There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: chess - VERY confused#3
Posted: 9/28/03 at 12:53am
i must agree....great music...i think i like the US version better, i adore marcia mitzman's voice and was disappointed that she didn't sing "someone else's story" on the cd.

why, oh, why didn't they tape the show the other night? it was so wonderful and they could raise so much money!!!
Seany
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: re: chess - VERY confused#4
Posted: 9/28/03 at 12:56am
I wanted to see it sooooooooooooo bad. I'm sure there will be bootlegs running around soon though...

My favorite version of the show is by far the Danish recording -a nice updated sound with AMAZING, and I mean AMAZING singers. The Florence wails on 'Nobody's Side'. Anyway, the Danish Recording is not commercially available anymore but I have it on my computer. If you're interested in taking a listen, PM me.
musicaltheatreman
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: re: re: chess - VERY confused#5
Posted: 9/28/03 at 1:08am
hey bronete if you dont have it get the tommy cast recording marcia mitzman is the lead female in the show! she has an awsome voice!!! i am like you what ever happen to her?? what is she up too??
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i have had the tommy cast recording ever since i saw ms. mitzman in the show back in....1994? i was all of 14 but her performance has always stuck out in my mind. i think she's brilliant.
and i don't know about boootlegs...they were searching people REALLY well the other night.
Updated On: 9/28/03 at 01:12 AM
Seany
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
That whole Tommy recording is excellent.
musicaltheatreman
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
hey seany did you get my private message??
BoxOfficeJon Profile PhotoBoxOfficeJon Profile Photo
BoxOfficeJon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chess - VERY confused#9
Posted: 9/28/03 at 11:04am
Actually Seany, there is a complete/difinitive cast recording out there. It was done in English. It is a double cd and has the whole show on it. In an interview from England I read, he stated that this was the best version and what he felt was the one that should be done from now on.
...this is wrong on so many levels... Diane Lane in "Must Love Dogs" "If you have poo, now is the time to fling it" -- The Monkey's from Madagascar
Seany
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: chess - VERY confused#10
Posted: 9/28/03 at 11:18am
And the Danish recording is the one he is talking about. It is in English, and has mostly every song ever written for Chess in it.
BoxOfficeJon Profile PhotoBoxOfficeJon Profile Photo
BoxOfficeJon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: chess - VERY confused#11
Posted: 9/28/03 at 11:21am
Right... that is the one to get. I listen to it all the time. It is the one that is complete and I feel explains it best and makes sense.
...this is wrong on so many levels... Diane Lane in "Must Love Dogs" "If you have poo, now is the time to fling it" -- The Monkey's from Madagascar
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: chess - VERY confused#12
Posted: 9/28/03 at 2:40pm
i just looked that one up...i think it's the concert version? it looks the most like the one that was performed the other night, but i still think the one they put together for the benefit was amazing. if they only recorded it they could make so much more money for the charity, my family alone would buy 3 or 4 copies
Updated On: 9/28/03 at 02:40 PM
Cadriel
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
A primer on Chess versions.#13
Posted: 9/28/03 at 10:30pm
The 1984 London concept album does not accurately reflect any production of Chess ever. The 2001 Danish Tour cast recording - in its original pressing - was about 95% of the actual London show, minus some small bits of dialogue and plus "Someone Else's Story."

The 1988 Original Broadway Cast Recording reflects about 75% of the score of the Broadway show; parts of the other 25% remain unrecorded.

The 2002 Swedish recording "Chess På Svenska" reflects about 90% of the 2002 Stockholm production, but it's almost unrecognizable as the same show.

The basic score changes:

London added "Commie Newspapers," "Press Conference," "Florence & Molokov," "Der Kleine Franz," "Who'd Ever Think It?," "Anatoly and the Press," "One More Opponent," "You and I" (the first one), "The Soviet Machine," "The Interview," "Talking Chess," and "Finale" to the concept album. It expanded "The Deal" and "Endgame." "Argument" was not used. Act I covered Freddie (champion) vs. Anatoly in Merano; Anatoly won. Act II covered Anatoly vs. Leonid Viigand in Bangkok; Anatoly won.

Broadway had what's on the OBC recording, plus "What a Scene" (abbreviated), "Press Conference" (abbreviated), "US vs. USSR" (abbreviated during the run), "Merchandisers" (abbreviated during the run), "Who'd Ever Think It?," "Florence Quits," "A Taste of Pity," "Reporters" (expanded "Anatoly and the Press"), "The Arbiter's Song" (cut during the run) "Freddie Goes Metal," "Let's Work Together," and "Anthem (Reprise)." "Hymn to Chess" was cut during the run. Act I covered Anatoly (champion) vs. Freddie in Bangkok. Act II covered the match's continuation in Budapest; Freddie won.

The 1990 US Tour had "The Story of Chess" (London), "What a Scene," "Anatoly & Molokov" (substantial new lyrics), "Where I Want to Be," "The Arbiter's Song," "Quartet," "1956 - Budapest is Rising," "Nobody's Side," "Terrace Duet," "Who'd Ever Think It?," "No Contest," "Florence Quits" (abbreviated), "Pity the Child," "Heaven Help My Heart," "Reporters," "Anthem," "One Night in Bangkok," "You and I," more "You and I," "Freddie Goes Metal," more "The Story of Chess," "I Know Him So Well," "Endgame," "You and I (Reprise)," and "Someone Else's Story." The entire show covered Freddie (champion) vs. Anatoly in Bangkok; Freddie won.

The 1991 Sydney production had "The Story of Chess" (Broadway), "Simple Board Game," "One Night in Bangkok" (extended), "US vs. USSR," "The Arbiter's Song," "Merchandisers," "Quartet," "Argument" ("Simple Board Game" tune plus "1956 - Budapest is Rising" with new lyrics and "How Many Women" inside the song), "Nobody's Side," "Cocktail Chorus," "Terrace Duet," "Who'd Ever Think It?," "No Contest," "Florence Quits," "Heaven Help My Heart" (extended as the Act I closer), "Embassy Lament," "You and I," "Anthem," "Someone Else's Story," "Departure" (part of "The Deal"), "Pity the Child," "The Soviet Machine" (extended), "The Deal" (extended...to about 15 minutes...), "I Know Him So Well," "Endgame," "Florence & Walter," and "You and I (Reprise)." The entire show covered Freddie (champion) vs. Anatoly in Bangkok; Anatoly won.

The 1992 Off-Broadway production had "The Story of Chess" (barely), "Merano / What a Scene," "Anatoly & Molokov" (with Svetlana), "Where I Want to Be," "How Many Women," "Where I Want to Be - Reprise," "US vs. USSR," "The Arbiter's Song," "Quartet," "Hymn to Chess," "Anatoly & Svetlana" ("How Many Women" rewritten), "Someone Else's Story," "1956 - Budapest is Rising," "Nobody's Side," "Merchandisers," "Mountain Duet," "Who'd Ever Think It?," "A Taste of Pity," "Florence Quits," "Pity the Child," "Where I Want to Be - Reprise," "Anthem," "One Night in Bangkok," "Heaven Help My Heart," "Argument," "Interview" (Anatoly & MOLOKOV), "Someone Else's Story - Reprise," "No Contest," "I Know Him So Well," "The Deal," "Endgame," "You and I - Reprise," and then a few lines of "The Story of Chess" before the curtain. The first act covered Freddie (champion) vs. Anatoly in Merano in 1972; Anatoly won. The second act covered Anatoly (champion) vs. Freddie in Bangkok in 1973; no winner is revealed.

Stockholm has a lot of new melodies, a number of rewritten songs, and is generally a different animal from any of those versions of Chess. Both acts covered Freddie (champion, I think) vs. Anatoly in Merano in 1986; Freddie won.

In London, Broadway, and Sydney, Florence was promised her father back if Anatoly left / went back to the Soviet Union. She does not, actually, get her father back. This plot point is not featured in the US Tour, Off-Broadway, or Stockholm productions.

The lyrics to almost all of the numbers - except for the character solos - have been rewritten substantially several times over. As a taste of it, the same verse goes:

They see chess as a war
Playing with pawns just like Poland
If you walk out on me
They will have won their first battle
Wouldn't your father have begged you to stay in the game?
(Concept album)

They see chess as a war
Playing with pawns just like Poland
If you walk out on me
You're really betraying your father
Were he alive now, he'd surely be dying of shame!
(London, Broadway)

You should never forget
Don't be deceived by this glasnost
If you walk out on me
You're really betraying your father
(US Tour)

They see chess as a war
Playing with pawns like your father
If you walk out on me
You're really betraying his honor
(Sydney)

They see chess as a war
And I'm quite prepared to do likewise
If you walk out on me
You're really betraying your country
Both of your countries, adopted and birthplace, ashamed!
(Off-Broadway)

-Wayne
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: A primer on Chess versions.#14
Posted: 9/29/03 at 4:33pm
you can buy chess danish cast here!
CHESS DANISH CAST
Duane Reade
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: A primer on Chess versions.#15
Posted: 9/29/03 at 5:32pm
Bravo Cadriel! that is shockingly complete.
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: A primer on Chess versions.#16
Posted: 9/29/03 at 5:38pm
yes cadriel that was amazingly informative!
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: A primer on Chess versions.#17
Posted: 9/29/03 at 10:31pm
i've been listening to the US version today..on the way to work..on the way to visit a friend...on the way home...and i think i like it more and more every time i listen to it. i think my favorites are "nobody's side", "somebody else's story", "a model of decorum and tranquility" and "i know him so well"....i just wish i listened to the cd before the benefit so i could have appreciated it more when i saw it.....
Deena Jones2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: re: A primer on Chess versions.#18
Posted: 9/30/03 at 11:32am
I just bought the Danish cast at Colony records on 49th and Bway and it was only $42.98!!! they are completely rude there and the place smells like B.O. but you can save a few bucks!