Todays Birthdays 9/18 - Harold Clurman, Agnes De Mille, James Gandolfini, Greta Garbo

do_re_milla Profile Photodo_re_milla Profile Photo
do_re_milla
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Harold Clurman 09/18/1901 - Sep 9, 1980 Producer, Director, Performer, Husband of Stella Adler (1943 - 1960) divorced, founding member of the Group Theatre - THE GOAT SONG; PARADISE LOST; CASEY JONES (Charles Bickford, Van Heflin, Peggy Conklin, Charles J. Dingle, Joseph Sawyer, Eunice Stoddard); ROCKET TO THE MOON; ALL MY SONS; THE YOUNG & THE FAIR; THE TIME OF THE CUCKOO; THE EMPEROR'S CLOTHES; PIPE DREAM; A TOUCH OF THE POET; A SHOT IN THE DARK

Greta Garbo 9/18/1905 - 4/15/1990 performer - film's Camille, Grand Hotel, Ninotchka, Mata Hari, The Painted Veil, Anna Christie

Agnes De Mille 09/18/1905 - Oct 6, 1993 director choreographer, niece of Cecil B. De Mille - 1936 HAMLET (Leslie Howard); OKLAHOMA; CAROUSEL; GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES; GOLDILOCKS; JUNO; KWAMINA; COME SUMMER (Ray Bolger)

Rossano Brazzi 9/18/1916 - 12/24/1994 performer - South Pacific, Three Coins in the Fountain, The Barefoot Contessa, A Certain Smile

Jack Warden 09/18/1920 Emmy Award-winning performer - LULLABY (Mary Boland, Kay Medford); A VIEW FR THE BRIDGE; A VERY SPECIAL BABY (Sylvia Sidney, Jack Klugman, Luther Adler, Carl Low); THE BODY BEAUTIFUL; STAGES (Caroline Kava, Max Wright, Howland Chamberlin, Tom Aldredge); tv's & film's Brian’s Song N.Y.P.D., Bad News Bears, Shampoo, From Here to Eternity, All the President’s Men

Robert Blake 9/18/1933 Emmy Award-winning performer: Baretta [1974-75]; film's In Cold Blood, Pork Chop Hill, PT 109, Our Gang, Little Beaver & Red Ryder series

Fred Burrell 09/18/1936 performer - ILYA DARLING (Merlina Mercouri, Orson Bean, Hal Linden, Johnny La Motta); JUDGMENT AT NUREMBURG (Maximillian Schell, Geo. Grizzard, Robt Foxworth, Marthe Keller, Michael Hayden)

Anna Deavere Smith 09/18/1950 writer, performer, Other plays include "Fires in the Mirror" and "House Arrest." She teaches at both NYU's Law School and its Tisch School of the Arts - TWILIGHT: LOS ANGELES 1992; tv's WEST WING

William Ryall 09/18/1954 performer - ME & MY GIRL; GRAND HOTEL; BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC; 1995 HOW TO SUCCEED; HIGH SOCIETY; 1999 AMADEUS; SEUSSICAL

James Gandolfini 09/18/1961 performer - 1992 A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE; ON THE WATERFRONT (Ron Eldard, Kevin Conway, Jerry Grayson [suffered a heart attack on stage during a press preview]; tv's & film's Emmy Award-winning actor: The Sopranos [2000, 2001]; A Stranger Among Us, Terminal Velocity, Crimson Tide, Get Shorty

SHOWS THAT OPENED ON THIS DATE:

1911 Disraeli, a new drama, opens tonight on Broadway at the Wallack's Theatre. It stars George Arliss as the British prime minister in this play by Louis N. Parker. Arliss' memorable performance gains him so much credit, he is asked to reprise his role in the film version. This stage production ran 280 performances on Broadway.

1925 The first musical comedy hit of Rodgers and Hart opens tonight at the Knickerbocker Theatre. It is Dearest Enemy, which contained Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart's music and lyrics and Herbert Fields' words. "Here in My Arms" and "By and Bye" are two popular songs that come from this musical. They were sung by the stars of the show, who were three superstars of the era: Helen Ford, Flavia Arcaro and Charles Purcell. The show will run 286 performances.

Johnny Belinda 09/18/1940 - oh how I loved Jane Wyman's movie of this.

Lovers & Other Strangers 09/18/1968 - Dick Van Patten, Renee Taylor, Mary Louise Wilson

Song and Dance 09/18/1985 - an interpretation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's music, opens tonight at the Royale Theatre. Bernadette Peters, Christopher D'Amboise, Gregg Burge (wonderful dance, & school friend), Scott Wise. The show included the music of Lloyd Webber's album "Variations" and the songs from a cycle by Webber and Don Black called Tell Me on a Sunday. It ran 474 performances.

2001 Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren star in a Broadway revival of Dance of Death. Also on this date, Reefer Madness, a musical based on the campy anti-drug film, opens Off-Broadway.

ON THIS DAY IN :

1927 The Columbia Broadcasting System was born on this day. The Tiffany Network, as CBS was called, broadcast an opera, The King’s Henchman, as its first program.

1948 - The Original Amateur Hour returned to radio on ABC, two years after the passing of the program’s originator and host, Major Bowes. Bowes brought new star talent into living rooms for 13 years. Ted Mack, the new host, had also started a TV run with The Original Amateur Hour on the DuMont network in January of 1948.

1955 - What had been The Toast of the Town on CBS Television (since 194Todays Birthdays 9/18 - Harold Clurman, Agnes De Mille, James Gandolfini, Greta Garbo became The Ed Sullivan Show. This “rilly big shew” remained a mainstay of Sunday night television until June 6, 1971.

1965 - Larry Hagman (Captain Tony Nelson) and Barbara Eden (Jeannie) starred in the first episode of I Dream of Jeannie on NBC-TV making weekly magic that lasted until September 1, 1970.

(sources: IBDB, NYT's ON THIS DAY, 440.com’s Those Were The Days, Playbill.com)

Milla
Updated On: 9/18/03 at 02:53 PM