Page: 1

Anyone been to a premiere?

superperson
Stand-by
Stand-by
Anyone been to a premiere?#0
Posted: 9/14/03 at 8:16pm
Has anybody here attended a Broadway premiere? What are they like? What usually happens that's different from regular performances?
ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone been to a premiere?#1
Posted: 9/14/03 at 8:19pm
Um, there are just usually more celebrities at an opening night performance. LOL. And then, of course, the post-party that follows. :)
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
Amneris Profile PhotoAmneris Profile Photo
Amneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Anyone been to a premiere?#2
Posted: 9/14/03 at 8:43pm
free drinks and no carding woo!!! Great food, famous people will smile at you because they think you are someone for being there HA! and um what else? Ya see Al Gore on a dance floor with some hot moves?
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Anyone been to a premiere?#3
Posted: 9/14/03 at 8:47pm
This is a stupid ? but can anyone that attended the show attend the after party?
CCM '10!
Updated On: 9/14/03 at 08:47 PM
singnyc
Understudy
Understudy
No. You have to get an invite.
singnyc
Understudy
Understudy
Updated On: 9/14/03 at 08:53 PM
singnyc
Understudy
Understudy
Updated On: 9/14/03 at 08:53 PM
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've been to every Opening Night for TWHM since January 16, 1964.
I've also been to the closing performances, which tend to be very emotional.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
emmamia Profile Photoemmamia Profile Photo
emmamia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
i went to the closing of grease back in 95 for the 6 week layoff and then a few months later it closed for good .... it was a sad moment cuz i loved that musical
~*~ Little Boys Who Play With Fire Get Their Fingers Burned ~*~ Tanya (Mamma Mia)
PB ENT. Profile PhotoPB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree, closings are more fun. One of the best opennings I attened was not in NYC but the Gala Opening of the Kimmel Center in Philly. It was so cool to see all those stuffed penquins and jewled covered Mr./Mrs. Astors GET DOWN ...or try to.. with Elton John!!!!

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/regional/phil/phil7.html
( in case you want details)
www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
ShbrtAlley44 Profile PhotoShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry, I feel like I should know Dollypop, but I'm blanking on TWHM. Help, please?
chinkie azn jai Profile Photochinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
hey!! this might be a stupid question tho but, when regular people like u or me go to a broadway premiere do you get to go down the "red carpet?" Ive always wondered this. thanx!! ~pc~
"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
PB ENT. Profile PhotoPB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well I think they should! Hey, if you are fortunate to attend an opening and lay out the fee, why should you be denied?

Actually, for those openings that use a red carpet, they 'sometimes'leave it down until everyone is inside. Just minus the applause and flasbulbs.
www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
tristarr32
Stand-by
Stand-by
Well, I've been to a premiere in L.A. :c) I saw Art on opening night and we didn't realize we were surrounded by famous people until we heard Sean Connery's voice :cD It was pretty amazing! We got to walk down the same carpet as they did, but none of the reporters paid any attention to us. I stood next to Ed Harris while he waited for his wife/girlfriend? to come out of the bathroom. :cD
"I know my voice was just a whisper, but someone must have heard..." -Gold
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Anyone been to a premiere?#14
Posted: 9/16/03 at 1:33pm
I went to opening night of the current revival of Gypsy. Mayor Bloomberg made a speech, there were wall to wall celebrities, lots of cameras from the press, I'm pretty sure regular people can walk down the red carpet...you just have to walk like you're important re: re: Anyone been to a premiere?
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
BroadwayGirl107 Profile PhotoBroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Anyone been to a premiere?#15
Posted: 9/16/03 at 10:29pm
Here's the dumbest question yet: How did you guys get in? Who did you know?
"This country, this experiment, America, this hubris: what a lament if no one saw it go. Here today, gone tomorrow. Dissipation is actually much worse than cataclysm."--August: Osage County
CaTheatreGirl Profile PhotoCaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: re: Anyone been to a premiere?#16
Posted: 9/17/03 at 1:21am
For the current revival of Gypsy, there were tickets available for Opening Night, but of course, that was just to see the show and not the party afterwards. Everybody can walk down the red carpet, but as mentioned, no one pays attention unless you're a celebrity.
Belter
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Anyone been to a premiere?#17
Posted: 9/17/03 at 3:53am
I was at the opening performance of "Stones in His Pocket" and also of "Aida" -- I got the tickets from a friend who is a dresser. I saw Barbara Walters at the Aida premiere, and she did do that look that someone mentioned, the "are you someone I should know?" look. Unfortunately, as of yet, I am not.

Stones had all sorts of famous Irish people. So no one anyone here would know. (yuck, yuck, yuck)

The after party after Stones, though, I met Jim Dale, he shook my hand and asked "have we met?" (I did look pretty great that night!) and I had to tell him what a nerd I was (i.e. i've loved him since Pete's Dragon.) and that I was happy he was doing the Harry Potter series for books-o'-tape. (Irish tribute)

Mostly those parties seem to be people looking at each other all trying to figure out if anyone is famous. Also, they never have enough seats or food.

Oh, one more: I was at the opening night of the last Christmas Carol (with F. Murray Abraham) at Madison Square Garden and at the party after. We left the party almost as soon as we got there and went to a diner for dinner.

And Heather Headley was FLAT on her high notes!