Page: 1

AMDA

BudFrump23 Profile PhotoBudFrump23 Profile Photo
BudFrump23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
AMDA#0
Posted: 9/3/03 at 7:25pm
So anybody know of anyone who has done the American Musical and Dramatic Academy? I know Marissa Jaret Winokur and Christopher Sieber did, but does anyone know of anyone personally? Is it an academy worthy of praise, or one to be passed by?
I'm as jumpy as a virgin at a prison rodeo!
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: AMDA#1
Posted: 9/3/03 at 7:26pm
my ex-boyfriend went there...he liked it..
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: AMDA#2
Posted: 9/3/03 at 10:10pm
And he's obviously smart, too.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: AMDA#3
Posted: 9/3/03 at 10:42pm

One might seriously consider other less costly options on learning how to legitimately perform in front of live audience.

Bulldog

ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: AMDA#4
Posted: 9/4/03 at 1:26am
Be wary of the SCAMda.

It sucks. End of story.

Well, maybe not the end of the story...

It has a really bad reputation in the industry, with good reasoning... I strongly advise you to stay clear of it. They are money hungry fiends. If you're breathing and have the money to spare, they'll basically accept you. I'm not kidding when I say EVERYONE who auditions gets in.

Due to the variety in talent, the curriculum is geared towards the lowest level, so those even in the "higher classes" aren't being challenged. The teachers are credible, though if they're told to teach a certain way, there's not much else they can do.

Basically, with a name like AMDA on your resume, you're asking to be judged unfairly before you open your mouth to read or sing. This isn't to say talented people don't graduate from AMDA, but they had to be talented and experienced going in, because they certainly wouldn't have gotten it from the school. It's a great way to waste two years of your life and burn a hole in your pocket and you're not even getting a degree in the long run.

Take it from someone who spent some time at AMDA (miserably): You'd be much better off trying a program like Circle in the Square if you're looking for an intense two year conservatory program. If you're looking for a degree, try CMU, Northwestern, or Michigan. :)

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin