A TRUE class act.

ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A TRUE class act.#0
Posted: 9/29/04 at 1:53pm
With all this crap going on about Donna Murphy's absences or Idina Menzel's lack of respect for fans... I would just like to take the time to post a POSITIVE message for once about someone who is deserving of our attention.

Alice Ripley is what being a pro is all about. Last night, sick as a DOG, Alice still showed up for her gig at the Red Lion. She had been really sick the day before at Broadway Unplugged. Did she call in? No. She used the LAST of her voice to give us an amazing performance (probably one of the best of the evening). Did she run away from the stage door afterwards? No. She graciously came out and spoke to every single person who approached her. Not only did she SPEAK to them, she took the time to listen to them, too. And I'm talking SICK... it wasn't just a little cold... it was on the verge of laryngitis.

Last night she showed up and kept apologizing. She even attempted to sing until it got to the point she realized she would damage her voice if she continued. THAT, my friends, is dedication. What else did she do? She still talked to people, even when it got to the point she had to write notes to everyone.

I think her behavior in this given situation proves what a true class act is. Her professionalism is something for young performers to emulate. You go girl, you rock! :)

Let's take this opportunity to discuss performers who have shown true professionalism in specific circumstances. Let's hear some positive reinforcement, folks. Enough with the focusing on the negative.
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#1
Posted: 9/29/04 at 1:56pm
Bless you, Daisy!

I think we just spent a year watching one of the best - Hugh Jackman.
NYadgal Profile PhotoNYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#2
Posted: 9/29/04 at 1:57pm
I know I spent every moment I could! re: A TRUE class act.

And, yes, Daisy - kudos to Alice!
"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#3
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:01pm
I spent some time working for a beloved Broadway diva who is extremely difficult to work with/be around. However, when it came to her fans, she was a true pro. The night of her first preview of this particular Broadway show, there were 300 people waiting outside for autographs. She would have stayed all night, security finally ushered us to the car after she had signed over 100.

People would leave notes at the stage door saying they had come from other parts of the country to see her, and she would invite them up to her dressing room. She always came out and signed autographs every night, for everyone, even though she was onstage for 95% of the very vocally demanding show.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#4
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:02pm
Hugh IS a class act. I had the privilege of going backstage once when I was at the show and he walked RIGHT over to me and a few friends, shook our hands and introduced himself. Nothing pompous or egotistical about him. Sweet man (and a pretty one... mmm). Definitely fits into the class act category.
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#5
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:04pm
Through the years, I've had some truly beautiful moments with entertainers who were perfectly delightful and happy to connect with other human beings:
Beverly Sills
Van Cliburn
Dolly Parton
Lily Tomlin
Barbara Mandrell
Jason Graae
Liz Calloway
David Ogden Stiers
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#6
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:10pm
I had a great experience with Ms. Sills. Total class act. Real lady. Also in that genre, Regina Resnik.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
KMF_NYC Profile PhotoKMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#7
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:15pm
it is good to know there are calss acts out there -- I have been very lucky to have had geat experiences with some of the "divas" of musical theater...my interactions as a fan with Patti LuPone and Betty Buckley have been nothing but positive -- they were both gracious, talked to me, seemed interested in listening and very down to earth -- I have never worked with or for them and just shrug off the rumors or "I know someone who..." and like to think of them and others as professionals striving for the best possible performance, each and every time.
"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie
Updated On: 9/29/04 at 02:15 PM
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#8
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:16pm
KMF, it's for that reason that I shrug it off when people on this board assume that because their favorite stars are nice to them at the stage door, they're nice people in general. Not true. They're professionals catering to their public.
Broadwayboobs Profile PhotoBroadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#9
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:17pm
KMF...I feel the way about Bernadette Peters. She's been nothing but gracious everytime I see her around fans.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#10
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:19pm
I've had nothing but pleasant interaction with Bernadette, and I didn't meet her as a fan, so she didn't have to be nice to me.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#11
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:20pm
Updated On: 9/29/04 at 02:20 PM
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#12
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:20pm
But that's not to say that in most cases they ARE actually nice people, not just catering to their public. I'm always skeptical given their JOB is to 'pretend', so sometimes it is hard to differentiate between who's genuine and who's just performing until they reach home. Either way, if they're being nice, that's all that matters, no matter what their motivation is.
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#13
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:21pm
You're absolutely right, Daisy.
KMF_NYC Profile PhotoKMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#14
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:27pm
I think you always need to appreciate your fans and show it -- but I don't agree that an actor needs to be on all the time. You should treat people with respect -- if you are not going to sign autographs, that's ok, just be respectful of those who tried and those who tried should not get all bent out of shape -- we seem to forget these are people with lives outside the theater or craft.... perhaps they NEED to get into the car because their spouse, lover, child is sick or they just have a splitting headache...your ticket to the show does not guarantee you an audience AFTER the show....

OK -- I guess I should stop now
"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#15
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:29pm
We're agreeing with that, KMF - we're saying on the off-night when you do have something pressing to get to, that you just say that graciously to your fans and then hop in your car. People understand that.
Broadwayboobs Profile PhotoBroadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#16
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:32pm
KMF...I think they should come to my house and do my laundry for what I pay to see a show. re: A TRUE class act.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#17
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:38pm
I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! (all caps means you are yelling it!)
I have received several nice thank you notes from stars I've written to to compliment their performances and it always does my heart good to see how kind they can be. Some have even been very lengthy. Off the top of my head, I can recall receiving notes from the following:
Julie Andrews
Carolee Carmello
Stephen Sondheim
Tommy Tune
Liz Torres
Tyne Daly
all of them were wonderfully gracious and took the time to write some very thoughtful things to me. You gotta love performers who, even once they are big names, can still take the time to acknowledge the people who made them names - their public.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#18
Posted: 9/29/04 at 3:14pm
Updated On: 9/29/04 at 03:14 PM
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#19
Posted: 9/29/04 at 3:16pm
redhot didn't say he didn't, Rodney.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#20
Posted: 9/29/04 at 3:17pm
ha ha ha ha ha ha!
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#21
Posted: 9/29/04 at 3:49pm
uh - but no - I didn't (yuck)...but I'd be happy to play her son in a movie sometime.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
kissmycookie Profile Photokissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#22
Posted: 9/29/04 at 3:56pm
be careful of papercuts
Ebonic_Singer Profile PhotoEbonic_Singer Profile Photo
Ebonic_Singer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#23
Posted: 9/29/04 at 4:06pm
Shoshana Bean is one of the sweetest people I've ever met. She's so nice!
Marquise Profile PhotoMarquise Profile Photo
Marquise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A TRUE class act.#24
Posted: 9/29/04 at 7:17pm
RodneyK wrote:

"If I received an actual note from Julie Andrews I would have to get naked and have sex with it."

ewwwww....of all people Julie Andrews?!!!!
Updated On: 9/29/04 at 07:17 PM