Bette M

Oh-goodness
Swing
Swing
Bette M#0
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:48pm
Is Bette Midler one of those singers who has tons of gay fans,
when she's conservative and hates them? I hope not.
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#1
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:50pm
No, darling. Bette loves her gay fans and fully recognizes us as the ones who turned her into a star.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Oh-goodness
Swing
Swing
re: Bette M#2
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:52pm
Hurrah!
I was just reading reviews of Amazon of her Rosemary Clooney
CD, and one of the reviewers called her a homophobe, so I got
worried.
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#3
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:54pm
I'm pretty sure I know what that was about. She made a statement on Larry King about gay marriage that she came back and said it came out COMPLETELY wrong.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#4
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:54pm
I stood in the huge gay dance club of Houston, Rich's, to watch her perform. She said to us (this was the year of Shakespeare in Love and Elizabeth) she said (and I paraphrase): this year, everyone is playing Queen Elizabeth except for me. Well, I figure if you can't play a Queen, you may as well play to a hundred queens.

re: Bette M
Updated On: 9/28/04 at 08:54 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#5
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:56pm
I'll second the thought that she is NOT against the boys who got her where she is. Just ask Mr. Shaiman, Mr. Villanch or Ms. Manilow.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#6
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:57pm
and those boys that did only GOD knows what in front of her at the bathhouses of her early days...
Iris Chacon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#7
Posted: 9/28/04 at 9:15pm
Just a note; When she has played here in California; seats were always made available to raise mony for many aids charitys. I saw that Larry King interview. She said nothing wrong.
Kiss it baby. Kiss it now!
Updated On: 9/28/04 at 09:15 PM
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#8
Posted: 9/28/04 at 9:19pm
It maybe didn't bother you, but it upset MANY people, including myself. Her later statement cleared up the unintentional comments.
Iris Chacon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#9
Posted: 9/28/04 at 9:22pm
Sorry it upset you. It didn't bother me at all. ( we are both refering to her statement on gay marriage right?) I understood what she was saying. And then later when she clarified I had to stop and realize that maybe people had taken it the wrong way.
The Grovers Corners Yenta
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#10
Posted: 9/28/04 at 9:22pm
What is it about people such as Bette Midler and Judy Garland that atrract gay audiences ? Please enlighten me.
"Friends are the people you chose as family."....Me.
Iris Chacon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#11
Posted: 9/28/04 at 9:23pm
I forgot to add that I love your Icon JRB.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Iris Chacon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#13
Posted: 9/28/04 at 9:25pm
Grovers;

They are fantastic entertainers. And gay audiences have great taste. but might I add that both those entertainers attract a huge amount of straight audiences. We are just more vocal in our admiration.
Updated On: 9/28/04 at 09:25 PM
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#14
Posted: 9/29/04 at 9:26am
I've always thought that gays found Judy Garland attractive because of her vulnerability. The fact that she could be so close to tears all the time with that little shakey break in her voice, and you realized as you grew up, that she suffered so much in her life and was still able to rise above it all and always put on a good show.
That's my personal opinion about her, anyway. As for Bette - I think its her ability to be so bawdy and outrageous and say exactly what you always wanted to say but were too afraid to. And her bombastic style.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#15
Posted: 9/29/04 at 9:33am
There does seem to be something about 'bigger than life' that attracts us. And I've always noticed that most gay icons seemed to be outside the mainstream norm - and their talent lifts them above that judgement. It's also worth noting that these women weren't willing to compromise themselves to 'fit in' - that's an important statement to gay people. Besides which, simply embracing their gay fans is a large part of it, I'm sure.
Iris Chacon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#16
Posted: 9/29/04 at 1:01pm
I just want to add that her "Kiss My Brass" tour is brilliant. If she comes anywhere near you on this her second leg of hr tour; GO! Also; to you college students.. she has said on two talk shows that she is giving seats to the local colleges as her way of bringing in the young people. So give a call to your colleges events person and get yourself a ticket.
Iris Chacon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#17
Posted: 9/29/04 at 1:57pm
Bump
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#18
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:06pm
Sitting front row center for KISS MY BRASS will forever be one of the greatest experiences of my young queer life. When she sang "Wind Beneath My Wings", she looked down and extended her hand out TO ME at the end. I was in tears. Sobbing. I have goosebumps thinking about it right now.

They were filming it and I asked the cameraman if it was going to be released and he said she was thinking about it depending on how she looked on film. re: Bette M
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#19
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:10pm
Bette singing 'Stay With Me' live taught me most I would ever need to know about how to 'act' a song.

Trivia - my beautiful partner was in the audience at the Wiltern in LA when they filmed the concert sequences for the Rose. He said she was perfect with the audience, entertaining them between takes - and ALWAYS ready with full energy when it was time to film, even when they had to redo stuff a few times because of technical malfunctions.
Iris Chacon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#20
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:59pm
I happen to be of the opinion that she is the best live performer there is.
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#21
Posted: 9/29/04 at 3:00pm
She gives one hell of a show. She's said she knows how much her tickets go for and she's going to make damn sure you get your money's worth.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#22
Posted: 9/29/04 at 3:02pm
BUT does she sign at the stage door?? re: Bette M
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#23
Posted: 9/29/04 at 3:04pm
She certanly does.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bette M#24
Posted: 9/29/04 at 3:05pm
YAY BETTE!!!
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson