Page: 1

Miramax may delay the release of Proof

popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Miramax may delay the release of Proof#0
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:21pm
What is up with that? They may delay it until the Cannes Film Festival in May of next year, but "will evaluate the situation and do what is best for the film." Given that they currently plan to release it on the most prestigious weekend of the year, what could they POSSIBLY gain by delaying its release until the start of summer, where it would get trampled by so many bigger movies?
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#1
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:24pm
Is that the play that the chick from Fast Times at Ridgemont high was in?

I meant to see it, but didn't get aroudn to it.

Is she gonna be in the movie?
kissmycookie Profile Photokissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#2
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:26pm
That would be disappointing. Proof was going to be the intellectual counterpoint to the guilty pleasure that the POTP movie was going to serve...
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#3
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:28pm
It would be very disappointing, especially as the UK release had been set for a month after its US debut. But hopefully Miramax will come to their senses.

And Rodney, I am not even dignifying that with a response.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#4
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:45pm
Well, they could POSSIBLY gain an Oscar depending on what they think the other big movies this year are going to be compared to next year's possible slate.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#5
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:55pm
WHAT? That's honest question!

What's her name... dimmit! (gotta go check imdb.com) Jennifer Jason Leigh! That's her name!

Wasn't she in "proof"?

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#6
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:56pm
Ugh. Yes, she took over the role from Mary Louise Parker. Her original start date was Sept 11th 2001.......
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#7
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:56pm
It was Mary Louise Parker who did the play - and Ms. Paltrow is doing the movie.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#8
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:57pm
I had no idea that Ms. Leigh had done that.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#9
Posted: 9/28/04 at 12:59pm
OK. so I'm not crazy.

Glad to hear Gweneth is doing the movie. I still haven't forgiven her for naming her daughter Apple.
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#10
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:05pm
Jennifer Jason Leigh took over Parker's place and she was very good. She had a different take on the role that was very refreshing.

Paltrow also did the show in London so she's very familiar with that character as well.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
kissmycookie Profile Photokissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#11
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:06pm
Releasing the movie in May puts it at the start of the summer movie bonanza. To keep it in Oscar spotlight would be to release it in November/December.
MargoChanning Profile PhotoMargoChanning Profile Photo
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#12
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:20pm
I liked Leigh's performance, though, she's always struck me as a bit unhinged so the character's madness was never really in doubt with her in the role. Same with Heche. Parker was fantastic though.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#13
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:23pm
That's exactly why I loved Leigh in the role and it's the same reason I thought she was an incredible Sally in CABARET. She played it so much darker than anybody else had or did after.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#14
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:28pm
Jennifer Jason Leigh is the only Broadway or London actress I missed in the role of Catherine, and I am just gutted because I love worship and adore her.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#15
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:30pm
I LOVE that term - 'gutted' - almost as much (but not quite) as 'gobsmacked.'
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#16
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:36pm
I thought Leigh made a terrific Sally -- the character really made sense with her combination of crazed energy and vulnerability.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#17
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:37pm
And that's something no other actress ever brought to it.
Well, except for Brooke Shields.
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#18
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:40pm
Brooke also brought her distinctive foghorn of a voice, Matt, don't forget that.
Marquise Profile PhotoMarquise Profile Photo
Marquise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#19
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:43pm
"foghorn of a voice"..that cracked me up. i like jenifer jason leigh she's very underrated. anyone else see her in "EXIT TO BROOKLYN"?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#20
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:44pm
"To keep it in Oscar spotlight would be to release it in November/December."

The best Oscar timing I've seen yet was Chicago. I t was released in LA (and maybe NY) on Christmas Day. The OScar rules state the movie must run for seven consecutive days in LA county during said year, so that's the origin of the Christmas opening date. Chicago wasn't released widely until AFTER the nominations were announced.
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#21
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:50pm
Tra-la-la in Last Exit to Brooklyn -- I had a friend who loved and identified with that character (a little too much if you ask me). Hard to forget that scene in the back of the car with the men all lined up to do .......
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Miramax may delay the release of Proof#22
Posted: 9/28/04 at 1:53pm
What's so incredible is that compared to the book, the movie is a fairy tale. Especially the scene in the back of the car.