Kerry Provides Unscripted Answer on AIDS

Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Kerry Provides Unscripted Answer on AIDS#0
Posted: 9/25/04 at 10:54am
During a campaign speech by Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry at Temple University in Pennsylvania on Friday, an audience member heckled Kerry, asking him to address the issue of AIDS. Kerry responded:

"This is not in my speech, but I'm going to answer that gentleman's question, because it's a perfect segue for where I find myself. Several years ago, three or four years ago, I joined with Sen. Bill Frist in a bipartisan effort and we cochaired the effort on AIDS, because AIDS is the great moral challenge and the great pandemic across this globe. We've got 4 million people, 5 million people have died of it. We've got 40 million people infected, and it's moving. It's not a question of Africa. It's a question of South Asia, India, China, Southeast Asia, the Caribbean, all across the world--and it destroys human infrastructure. We laid out a comprehensive approach that dealt with treatment, dealt with prevention, dealt with retroantiviral drugs that can help prevent the passage from mother to child, dealt with creating the human infrastructure so we could stand up and lead. And we called and...we passed with Jesse Helms's support, who cosponsored it. We passed it in the Senate, but the ideological resistance of this administration has stopped it. The president has stood up and said he's going to provide $15 billion, and guess what--only a few hundred million have been released, only $200 million to the Global Fund. The Global Fund has no confidence in America. America is losing its moral authority because we don't step up on issues like AIDS. I will. I will lead America on these issues."

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
jacobtsf Profile Photojacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good for him

If this were Bush all you would see would be incoherent mumbling and a change of topic.
David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile PhotoZola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matt, thanks for posting this. The backstory here is that Kerry was heckled by a protester to speak about AIDS. He stopped his prepared remarks, answered the heckler, who then gave him a standing ovation for this answer.

When Bush (or his henchmen) are heckled like this, the protesters get arrested, cuffed and detained.
Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not to mention that Bush cannot go "off issue" and and address another issue spontaneously. Watch Bush when someone asks him a question....he's very adept at not answering what has been asked, and steering his answer back to something that has been pre-scripted. He'll do the same thing in the debates...pay attention, and you'll see what I mean.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know exactly what you mean
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Are you kidding? Bush can barely go ON issue.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
mattio,
that si why he needs that big sign behind him that reminds him of the topic he is SUPPOSSED to be talking about.
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL BG2
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If Bush had even responded, it would have been along the lines of:

Well...uh...ya know...AIDS--that's a very bad thing and...uh...we need to do stop it...uh...evil doers spread it...and we need to stop the evil doers. Uh...people keep seeing images on their TV screens...uh...and...uh...we need to stop it.
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry JRB but that's inaccurate. Your response is WAY too eloquent and open-minded for Bush.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Provides Unscripted Answer on AIDS#10
Posted: 9/25/04 at 12:28pm
Check out this video of Bush being asked about something he obviously knows nothing about.
I so respect Kerry for answering the question. It shows that he is listening and responding to the people and not just spewing forth his pre-written rhetoric.
Bush Babble
PEACE.
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Provides Unscripted Answer on AIDS#11
Posted: 9/25/04 at 12:31pm
I'm addicted to that video. I can't stop watching it. That's the funniest thing I've seen in a while.
GaLiNdaFied Profile PhotoGaLiNdaFied Profile Photo
GaLiNdaFied
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Provides Unscripted Answer on AIDS#12
Posted: 9/25/04 at 12:36pm
Hahaha Sueleen that was great I watched it 4 times re: Kerry Provides Unscripted Answer on AIDS
"Someone please tell me- when the hell did gravity become the enemy? How has an essential force of nature, something that makes it possible for life to even exist on this planet, come to deserve the scorn and hatred of every teenage girl with no head voice?"- Broadway Matt
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yep, he co-sponsored it, but didn't see it as important enough to vote on as he left before it got passed that night.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is that indeed true, papa, or was that just pulled out of thin air like most GOP criticism of Kerry?
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
unless the congressional record is lying, jrb, senator kerry's last recorded vote came at 11:18 pm (#00179) on may 15th, 2003 and the voice vote which finally passed hr 1298 did not come until after final amendments were voted on at 1:22am may 16th, 2003.

while the air in the senate chamber is thin, i don't think they're falsifying records.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Updated On: 9/25/04 at 01:47 PM
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tell me something GOOD about George Bush's actions toward lesbians and gays and People with AIDS. Something that will make me want to vote for him.

Because as far as I'm concerned, his records on national security, the economy and civil liberties are abysmal

Maybe if you can tell me something GOOD about his attitude toward gays and lesbians, I'll change my vote from Kerry to Bush.

Oh, and I'll be sure to share your GOOD information with the Log Cabin Republicans, who in a rare display of backbone, voted to withhold their endorsement of Bush.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Senate version passed by unanimous consent...therefore there was NO ROLL CALL. Maybe that's why Sen. Kerry has no recorded vote....just like everyone else???
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ahh, flitty, that's good, but why was he not there for the 4 votes on amendements to the bill that preceded that "voice vote" which as defined by the senate rules is: "a vote in which the presiding officer states the question, then asks those in favor and against to say 'yea' or 'nay,' respectively, and announces the result according to his or her judgment. the names or numbers of senators voting on each side are not recorded." he bagged on votes 00180-00183. did he leave and come back? or had he already left so as to be able to make it to iowa for the afscme democratic candidate forum on may 16th where he unveiled his health care proposal that morning, i.e. a few hours later?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Updated On: 9/25/04 at 05:33 PM
broadwaystar2b Profile Photobroadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
*snaps for Kerry* re: kerry provides unscripted answer on aids
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tell me one good reason why a lesbian or gay voter should vote for George Bush. One. It can't be domestic security, civil liberties, the economy or the way he's conducted the war.

One good reason for a lesbian or gay man to vote for Bush.

One.
Updated On: 9/25/04 at 06:43 PM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
it can't be domestic security, civil liberties, the econimy or the way he's conducted the war.

do you read this stuff either before or after you type it? those issues i guess don't matter to glbt voters? i'm gonna go with, "george has better ties." the kind you wear. seriously, pal, this one's the best yet.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It can't be those things because he's screwed them up so badly.

I don't wear ties. So I guess I'll stick with the better candiate: John Kerry.
Updated On: 9/25/04 at 07:07 PM
TheGirlinTheFrock Profile PhotoTheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
did Bush say "sovergieninity"? is that a word?
Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"
Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile PhotoZola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OK, I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!

Papa, I'm sorry, what are you talking about? You are WAY out of your depth on this. And, your ignorance of the way the Senate works is huge. Passing a bill on unanimous consent -- or by voice -- means there are no recorded votes. You talk about votes on amendments to the bill -- do you even know what they were about? All were friendly amendments and the sponsors submitted them knowing they would not be passed: the bill had come out of the Foreign Relations Committee with the explicit understanding of all Senators that all amendments would be rejected in order to get the bill done. (That's why a Senate bill has a House number: they took the Hyde bill from the House and marked it up to get it done more quickly in the Senate.) On the floor, amendments had been filed by these great Kerry "foes": Senators Kennedy, Clinton, Durbin, Leahy, Lautenberg, Feingold, Feinstein, Boxer, Biden and Dodd. There was no battle, papa. But nice try.

More to the point, you seem to ignore this fact: a Durbin amendment was rejected by a vote of 48 - 52. Last time I checked that adds up to 100: Kerry was there. A Clinton amendment was rejected by a voice vote. A Dorgan amendment was ruled out of order by the chair. Kennedy, Feinstein, Boxer and Dodd amendments were all rejected by lopsided margins and in each case, Kerry voted for them. A Biden amendment was the only one passed -- and it was accepted by voice. (Flit's right: no recorded vote.) The rest of the amendments were withdrawn. I love how you "know" that Kerry "didn't care enough" to stick around for the votes. Who the hell are you to put voice to his motivations? Did he call you and let you know?

But here's the kicker, which you don't seem to understand: Kerry's AIDS bill -- the one he refered to in his speech -- was passed in 2000. He wrote it and convinced Senator Frist and Senator HELMS to join him -- and it is the largest single response to the global AIDS epidemic in the history of our country. The 2003 bill was simply a reauthorization of that underlying legislation.

You really need to learn something before you open your mouth on this. All your little congressional record searches are nice and they might fool some of the people but they're not going to fool all the people.

So, criticize him all you want about his philosophy, but SHUT UP when you don't know what you're talking about.

Papa and his ilk always want to turn real issues around to make it seem that Kerry has not done enough in order to mask the fact that we lack leadership in the White House. That's the real issue here. This president has promised $15 billion to fight AIDS and so far has only come up with $300 million -- and tied all that aid to abstinence and faith-based approaches. This Administration denied 20 government researchers approval to attend the International AIDS conference in Bangkok because they worked on male-to-male HIV transmission. An undersecretary of Health in this administration called AIDS last year "the gay plague" and called homosexuality "a deathstyle" because of AIDS. Kerry was there, my friend, but where was George?

I would be happy to elaborate on Kerry's record on AIDS to anyone interested.
Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.
Updated On: 9/25/04 at 08:03 PM