Death of a child :(

NYCbabe3789 Profile PhotoNYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Death of a child :(#0
Posted: 9/23/04 at 6:32pm
Earlier this week a new student at my high school was hit by a car while walking to the bus stop in the morning. I was about 20 feet away when it happened. I saw all the police cars and ambulances as the bus was trying to leave, but I didn't find out what had happened until I got to school and they made an announcement. He died yesterday afternoon in the hospital.

It's amazing how much you can be affected by the death of some one you barely knew. I'm really going to try not to take life for granted anymore, and definately make a point of telling each of my friends and family members how much I love them. Something like this could happen to anyone, at any time. Imagine getting up in the morning to go about your daily routine, and suddenly everything you have is over. I can only imagine what his parents are going through. He was only 15.

Sorry to vent out like this, but I needed to write about it where I knew people would understand.
ponine24601
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#1
Posted: 9/23/04 at 6:34pm
oh my gosh. i'm so sorry. that's absolutely horrible. god bless his soul.
"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#2
Posted: 9/23/04 at 6:35pm
We all need reminders how precious and fragile life really is. I'm sorry for the trauma that this has caused you and those around you - and certainly my heart goes out to the family and friends of that young man.

Your response is ennobling, and may it bring comfort and peace to you and those you love.
Updated On: 9/23/04 at 06:35 PM
NoDayButToday2 Profile PhotoNoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#3
Posted: 9/23/04 at 6:38pm
"It's amazing how much you can be affected by the death of some one you barely knew. I'm really going to try not to take life for granted anymore, and definately make a point of telling each of my friends and family members how much I love them. Something like this could happen to anyone, at any time. Imagine getting up in the morning to go about your daily routine, and suddenly everything you have is over."

That is so true NYCbabe... and I'll definately keep the boy's family in my thoughts
aspiringguy715 Profile Photoaspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#4
Posted: 9/23/04 at 6:44pm
Something similar happened at my school last year. A guy in my grade was out on a boat in the Long Island Sound with his twin brother and a friend. The water was rough and the boat capsized. Being a cold day in October, they were wearing sweat pants and sweat shirts which weighed them down. The one twin was smaller (fraternal) and couldn't keep treading water and didn't make it to shore. He drowned. It was probably the worst school day ever, and the hardest funeral/wake I've had to go to. I was good friends with his twin, and the twin came to school the next day. It'll be a year this October.

Life is too precious, cherish every moment.
Joel: Nope. Osidius, right there, swoop and cross.
Clementine: Shut the fuck up!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
ponine24601
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#5
Posted: 9/23/04 at 6:54pm
oh geeze. i'm so sorry aspiringuy. this is making me feel really depressed.
"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#6
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:01pm
NYCbabe.... that was one of the most honest and well-written summaries of what happened and how it has affected you that I've ever read. And you're totally right about how the death of someone you barely know can have a deep effect. Let the lessons you learn from this tragedy be a tribute to him.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
aspiringguy715 Profile Photoaspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#7
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:01pm
Don't be depressed. Think of it as an example of how we should live our lives: to the fullest and cherish every moment. Tell those you love how you feel at any chance you can get. You never know what will come, so value every second.
Joel: Nope. Osidius, right there, swoop and cross.
Clementine: Shut the fuck up!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
ponine24601
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#8
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:05pm
yeah i agree. whenever an actor or person dies i always feel so upset even though i don't know them very well. there's just something about death that gets to you and stabs you in the heart.
NYCbabe3789 Profile PhotoNYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#9
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:09pm
Thank you all for your kind words...they truly mean a lot. This boy was new in the neighborhood and only started school here a few weeks ago, so he didn't know many people. I think his parents would be really touched if they knew how many people have learned so much from him.

And I'm very sorry about your friend, aspiringuy. It's terrible to know anyone who has died, but I can't imagine it happening to some one who was that close. I will keep him and his family in my thoughts and prayers, as well as those of the boy at my school. I think that the death of a kid is one of the saddest things in the world.
Updated On: 9/23/04 at 07:09 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#10
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:46pm
That's why that situation in Russia pretty much sent me over the edge.
lovettespies Profile Photolovettespies Profile Photo
lovettespies
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Death of a child :(#11
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:49pm
The reason I haven't been on in a while is a friend of mine was diagnossed with brain cancer two years ago. She kept fighting and made the most of her life, making everyone around her happy. She was an incredibly strong person, but she passed away on Tuesday only 16 years old. All of the people that knew her will remeber her for her strength and her optimism, and we all miss her already.
Keep the peace, take care of each other, and may you find your promised land. -TJST
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Death of a child :(#12
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:51pm
lovettespies - deepest sympathies, dear heart - she was lucky to have a friend to help her through it all.
lovettespies Profile Photolovettespies Profile Photo
lovettespies
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Death of a child :(#13
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:54pm
Thanks DGrant
Keep the peace, take care of each other, and may you find your promised land. -TJST
Liam Profile PhotoLiam Profile Photo
Liam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#14
Posted: 9/23/04 at 8:01pm
a kid at my local hight school killed him self and he was some one evry one knew and liked his best friend found him

and the kicker is his dad is a health teacher in the school teachimg about soiside and wornings
thirdrowcenter Profile Photothirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#15
Posted: 9/23/04 at 8:12pm
These stories are heartbreaking. The poor parents who lose a child. Tragic.
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#16
Posted: 9/23/04 at 8:18pm
"soiside"

???

re: Death of a child :(
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#17
Posted: 9/23/04 at 8:19pm
I haven't quite figured out what the deal is with Liam's spelling - maybe it's a second language?
BroadwayMonkey Profile PhotoBroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#18
Posted: 9/23/04 at 9:31pm
My high school has, on average, the most deaths per year.

And NYC, I'm so sorry.

Liam's spelling- I didn't think it was humanly possible to spell so badly, but it's true.
Real men are tenors.
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#19
Posted: 9/23/04 at 9:34pm
NYCbabe3789, that is a tragic situation- my eyes have been opened as well.

A senior girl at my high school (in my grade) was driving home with her boyfriend from visiting relatives two days before school started again- their car got out of control for an unknown reason and they flew over the median and a truck plowed into her car and she was killed instantly. When it's someone who walked in the same hallways, smiled at you, and held doors open to you- anything, and you know that you'll never see them again, it just become more tragic.

She was 17. She HAD a career, she had college, she was probably so excited just to be driving and she wanted to help her boyfriend out. He survived, and he must be regretting it- life is too short and precious.

But as we think about it, I think that her death was meant to be, in the fact that she accomplished her mission on earth and it was time to join God in Heaven. God bless her and anyone else who dies at such a young age.
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#20
Posted: 9/23/04 at 10:01pm
I had two friends with cancer during high school. One has been in remission from her leukemia for 3 years now. The other died of brain cancer a little over a year ago. He was a good person- amazingly smart (an Ivy Leaguer), a prankster, a big Simpsons fan. I'd known him since second grade.

I could talk about wasted potential, about a life cut off too soon, but what's the use of stating the obvious? The most overwhelming feeling that I have about it is the wrongness of it all. People my age shouldn't be eaten from the inside out, shouldn't be buried by their parents. But if the world was ruled by shoulds, things would be a whole lot different, huh?
Rose_MacShane Profile PhotoRose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#21
Posted: 9/24/04 at 12:51am
My senior year of high school saw the deaths of four students, all in car accidents. One was killed when another driver crossed the median and hit him head-on. He was a junior. The other three were in a car going way too fast (at least 70 in a 40 MPH zone) and the driver lost control in a turn and was hit from both sides. The driver was a sophomore and the deceased were all freshmen.
To everyone who has shared their own stories of loss, I want you to know that you're in my thoughts, and I'm so sorry for your losses.
http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/
watchME
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Death of a child :(#22
Posted: 9/24/04 at 1:03am
This reminds me of an excercise done in one of my acting classes recently...describing a low(or high) in your life...in the end you ended up telling someone else's personal story. But, what was interesting, was seeing how people consoled eachother, by re-living their story with them...I doubt any of this makes sense. I'm so sorry for everyone's losses. My older sister was killed in an accident, and I understand that grief is a life-long burden...Anyway, thanks for your honesty and willingness to share, guys.
Guillermo Ugarte Profile PhotoGuillermo Ugarte Profile Photo
Guillermo Ugarte
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Death of a child :(#23
Posted: 9/24/04 at 8:46am
There can be nothing more devastating than the loss of a child or young person in a family or circle of friends.

Gaining insight into the cycles of grieving for a child is important to support the family. There is an excellent book entitled 'And the Passenger was Death' that was written by someone who lost a child. 'Remembering: The Death of a Child' ia also worth reading.

There are many books on grieving, some of them worthwhile. If you or someone else chooses to give one to a person who has lost a loved one, it may be wise not to give them a book they need to read cover to cover, as you often lose your focus and clarity during this time. 'Healing After Loss' is an excellent choice as it has very short musings on grief, how others may treat you and how you may feel from day to day.

My condolences on the loss in your community.

"Always smile at your enemies. It will keep them on their toes"
NYadgal Profile PhotoNYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Death of a child :(#24
Posted: 9/24/04 at 8:56am
At the memorial service on 9/11 Mayor Bloomberg said that if a child loses a parent he is called an orphan.
If a husband or wife loses a spouse that person is a widow (widower).

But, there are no words to describe a parent losing a child.

It's unimagineable.
"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."