MargoChanning Profile PhotoMargoChanning Profile Photo
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#3
Posted: 9/22/04 at 8:36pm

"Your dirty pillows are showin'"

"They're called breasts, mama."
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#4
Posted: 9/22/04 at 8:45pm
I liked her in "The Grass Harp" as well.
MusicMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#5
Posted: 9/22/04 at 8:49pm

The female lead in the original television production of DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES, the most credible performance of an alcoholic I've ever seen. Ms. Piper is also blazing in THE HUSTLER.
Kristie-K2 Profile PhotoKristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#6
Posted: 9/22/04 at 8:51pm
OMG....She was fabulous as Mrs.White in Carrie....She reminded me of one of my Ex-Mother-in-laws.....She should have gotten the OSCAR!!!!!
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#7
Posted: 9/22/04 at 8:53pm
We saw Ms. Laurie last year in Morning's at Seven - it was delightful.
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#8
Posted: 9/22/04 at 9:42pm
She was also wonderful as Larry Kramer's mother in "The Destiny of Me" (which might be Kramer's best play) opposite John Cameron Mitchell and Peter Frechette.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#9
Posted: 9/22/04 at 9:44pm
Also loved her in Carrie. She scared the heck out of me!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#10
Posted: 9/22/04 at 9:46pm
Margo - for my money, Kramer's best is "Just Say No" - it seemed his acerbicness had found its true voice re: Piper Laurie
Type_A_Tiff Profile PhotoType_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#11
Posted: 9/22/04 at 10:00pm
I second "Tim". (DGrant, how'd you get a copy? I had to find it from a hardcore Mel Gibson fan, but I didn't think it was very widely available!)
"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#12
Posted: 9/22/04 at 10:01pm
Catherine in "Twin Peaks"
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#13
Posted: 9/22/04 at 10:03pm
Type - I've had it for many years. I was really disturbed by the alterations they made to the book (which is my favorite love story ever written) but I really liked their two performances. It's not their fault what they did to the end.
Broadwayboobs Profile PhotoBroadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#14
Posted: 9/22/04 at 10:04pm
"with the smell of whisky on his breath..and I liked it..I liked it" - she had some of the best lines in "Carrie".
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Type_A_Tiff Profile PhotoType_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#15
Posted: 9/22/04 at 10:07pm
DGrant - Did you see the remake with Candice Bergen?
"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#16
Posted: 9/22/04 at 10:09pm
I never saw "Just Say No," but I remember reading it and being impressed with the writing (though I wondered whether it might be too stridently political in performance). "The Destiny of Me" was such a gorgeous, richly sentimental, fully-accomplished memory play which succeeded as pure piece of writing in ways that "Normal Heart" never did. It managed to couch its politics organically in character without ever resorting to the sloganeering and agit-prop and score-settling that I've always felt ultimatly undermined "Normal Heart" as a work of theatre (though it, of course, is effective as a call to arms and as a piece of political art).

Kramer always wanted to be taken seriously as a writer and artist and always felt that critiques of "Normal Heart" were often more critiques of him more than of the play itself. I think he achieved his goal with "The Destiny of Me" in that it is a powerful, technically proficient work which is important simply as an accomplished piece of writing rather than a Kramer political manifesto.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#17
Posted: 9/22/04 at 10:15pm
I absolutely agree with you, Margo - it is a beautifully written piece - because of the autobiographical nature, perhaps? I just ultimately saw him as a political writer, hence the reason that 'Letter's From The Hollocaust' is still my favorite work of his (or works, I suppose.) The reason I felt he found his real triumph in 'Just Say No' is because it WAS so political, and yet made perfect use of the old dramatic form of melodrama - which only a true queen could have written.

Type - No, I had no idea that there had been another filmed version of 'Tim'.
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#18
Posted: 9/22/04 at 10:26pm
Boobs -- My friends and I have quoted that line more times over the years than I could possibly count,

"Then he took me. He took me, with the stink of filthy roadhouse whiskey on his breath, and I liked it. I liked it! With all that dirty touching of his hands all over me. I should've given you to God when you were born, but I was weak and backsliding, and now the devil has come home. We'll pray."
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#19
Posted: 9/23/04 at 9:07am
Eve was weak! Say it Carrie! Say It!

I pray you find Jesus.....
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#20
Posted: 9/23/04 at 9:15am
Brava, Margo, for so asatuely reminding us of the many treasures in DESTINY. It was at the Lortell, if I recall (probably still the de Lys back then...) and yes, Ms. Laurie was wonderful, and the play seemed Kramer's long-delayed masterwork. Supporting your contention, I honestly believe it was best viewed as a stand-alone story, in tone so wildly different than NORMAL HEART. Yet it had to be reviewed as a "sequel," which oddly enough kept critics from seeing it as a full, organic work. If NORMAL HEART is more ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE, then DESTINY is Kramer's LONG DAYS JOURNEY, to a point. And I remembe thinking that he used a version of his family story as Neil Simon used his in his trilogy.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#21
Posted: 9/23/04 at 9:16am
Brava, Margo, for so asatuely reminding us of the many treasures in DESTINY. It was at the Lortell, if I recall (probably still the de Lys back then...) and yes, Ms. Laurie was wonderful, and the play seemed Kramer's long-delayed masterwork. Supporting your contention, I honestly believe it was best viewed as a stand-alone story, in tone so wildly different than NORMAL HEART. Yet it had to be reviewed as a "sequel," which oddly enough kept critics from seeing it as a full, organic work. If NORMAL HEART is more ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE, then DESTINY is Kramer's LONG DAYS JOURNEY, to a point. And I remembe thinking that he used a version of his family story as Neil Simon used his in his trilogy.

A separate thought on CARRIE: Does anyone else find this film more sad -- truly tragic -- than either scary or campy? Maybe it's my age, but when I see it now -- and I can barely get through it --, the story's intertwined portrayal of cruelty and family abuse so powerfully overshadow the telekenisis and "revenge" mode. Carrie's victory is so pyrhrric, because she perishes so pitifully. It's not much fun, the last half hour, and watching Margaret go after her daughter is just too disturbing -- because of dePalma's hand on the material, and the stunning work of Spacek and Laurie. I think the film isn't really horror per se, and when you go back and revisit the King book, his first (and most modest/leanest) you see a portrait of extreme bullying and familial dysfunction more than a "scary" tale of revenge.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 9/23/04 at 09:16 AM
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Piper Laurie#22
Posted: 9/23/04 at 9:18am
"THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU!!!!"
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson