Help! Sore throat remedy?

HeartinNYC Profile PhotoHeartinNYC Profile Photo
HeartinNYC
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Help! Sore throat remedy?#0
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:11pm
I'm not an actor, but have to deliver a presentation at work tomorrow and I have developed an absolutely horrendous sore throat and headcold. Does anyone have a good fix?? Thanks! *cough*
Neither a borrower nor a lender be...unless that's mine in the first place.
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help! Sore throat remedy?#1
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:18pm
Gargle with warm salt water. Avoid dairy. Chicken soup might help, too.
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Help! Sore throat remedy?#2
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:20pm
Zinc
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#3
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:20pm
2 parts whiskey, 1 part honey, 1 part lemon juice...mix and heat in a water bath and sip while hot.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#4
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:23pm
Ginger tea works, too. And it's yummy. :) Well, if you have ginger lying around the house...
NoDayButToday2 Profile PhotoNoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#5
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:36pm
it may not be the best tasting but gargling with warm salt water really does work. See the reason that your throat is sore to begin with is because the cells are inflamed and carrying more water. If you gargle with warm salt water, the salt helps carry the water elsewhere, and the warmth of the water helps the cells 'open up' to reduce the inflamation

hope this helped re: help!  sore throat remedy?
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#6
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:39pm
Wow........paging Dr. Noday. Paging Dr. Noday. re: help!  sore throat remedy?
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
NoDayButToday2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#7
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:41pm
lol.. nah im no doctor. It's just one of the few things I learned in science that actually stuck with me re: help!  sore throat remedy?
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#8
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:43pm
Osmosis, spider. :)
NoDayButToday2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#9
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:44pm
yep. I just figured I wouldnt get too technical because this is a Broadway board and most people here would wather not get a science lesson from me re: help!  sore throat remedy?
The Grovers Corners Yenta
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#10
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:46pm
I melt about 3 or 4 Halls eucolyptus drops in a cup of very hot tea. Then sip.
"Friends are the people you chose as family."....Me.
Updated On: 9/21/04 at 08:46 PM
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#11
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:47pm
I know what happens. I was just being stupid (not hard to do, huh?)
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#12
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:49pm
Psst...I went to a science high school. The jargon just comes spilling out sometimes. :P
HeartinNYC
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: help! sore throat remedy?#13
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:54pm
You guys are wonderful! Thanks so much!!
NoDayButToday2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#14
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:16pm
anytime re: help!  sore throat remedy?
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: help! sore throat remedy?#15
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:27pm
1) Hot water with honey, cayenne pepper, and lemon.

2) Get powdered egg whites (they sell them at the grocery store for making meringues), mix up the equivilent of one egg white, mix it in with the juice of a lemon.

Then add a teaspoon of honey and 3 drops (no more) of glycerin (any drug store will have it). Glycerin is not meant to be taken internally in large doses so get an eye dropper and be specific. Beat the mixture completely and then take a teaspoon every 2-3 hours.

Both taste awful but they work.
Guillermo Ugarte Profile PhotoGuillermo Ugarte Profile Photo
Guillermo Ugarte
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Salt vs. Other Remedies#16
Posted: 9/22/04 at 9:06am
Salt works as temporary relief for a sore throat because it causes dehydration. It draws out fluid. Typically, a sore throat is swollen and inflamed because of an infection and there is usually swelling associated with the inflammation. The salt draws out the fluid and reduces the swelling. Gargling with salt doesn't cure the infection.

If you are thinking of using this remedy to clear your throat for singing, be careful. The warm water and salt feels good, but too much salt will dry out and harm the mucosa in your throat. Gargle in moderation and use it for temporary relief only.

If you have a few days before your presentation or show, get some zinc and Coryza Forte from the local health food store. These will support healing and your immune system.

Many singers use the remedy mentioned by Mattio. And many of us still use real eggs instead of powdered. In spite of the press on salmonella only 2.3 million out of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, are contaminated with salmonella. So 0.003% of eggs are infected or only 1 in every 30,000 eggs.
"Always smile at your enemies. It will keep them on their toes"
touchmeinthemorning Profile Phototouchmeinthemorning Profile Photo
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Salt vs. Other Remedies#17
Posted: 9/22/04 at 10:47am
I always do this:

heat up cranberry juice with slices of ginger root. add cinnamon and cayan pepper. Sip it, and enjoy.

When I was on the JCS tour, we had this wonderful drink waiting in the wings for all the singers. It was the only thing that allowed me to not let me U/S go on. It worked for me and my throat. Find your own, though. Each throat is different.

Also, your throat mucosa is much too strong to be harmed by gargling salt water. Your throat will not be harmed by it. However, singing unhealthily over a long period of time could harm just about anything in your throat. But, don't be worried, our bodies are amazing at healing themselves.
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
SamIAm Profile PhotoSamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Salt vs. Other Remedies#18
Posted: 9/22/04 at 11:24am
Touchme: what urgarte is saying is true. I worked in the medical profession for many years and am also a singer. If you overuse the salt gargle remedy it dries out the mucous membranes in your throat and over time will make it feel even more sore.

It is a great temporary fix but salt is salt and it DRIES THINGS OUT...including your body tissue.
"Life is a lesson in humility"
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Salt vs. Other Remedies#19
Posted: 9/22/04 at 11:29am
sam,

I'm sure that is true, but I don't know anyone who uses it enough to cause damage. Who do you know that gargles with salt water every day for 2 years (which is what most doctors believe you would need for any damage to occur)? There was an article in the AJM about 3 years ago on this subject.
SamIAm Profile PhotoSamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Salt vs. Other Remedies#20
Posted: 9/22/04 at 1:53pm
It really depends on your body. I've seen people have problems with a dry throat and soreness after a week and it is not uncommon for someone fighting a throat infection to gargle each day with salt water for a week.

I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't use it at all...both ugarte and I said use it for temporary relief and don't overuse it...and since we don't know the effects on each person we can only give them a heads up that this may be a problem.
"Life is a lesson in humility"
HeartinNYC
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Salt vs. Other Remedies#21
Posted: 9/22/04 at 2:18pm
Update: I tried the warm salt water a few times over 12 hours, and found it to help tremendously. The pain relief was almost instantaneous! I've been sipping black tea with honey and lemon all day long and notice a big improvement.

So, thank you again, Broadway Medical!
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Salt vs. Other Remedies#22
Posted: 9/22/04 at 2:24pm
just a quick update. the salt water thing drys out if u use a HYPERtonic(high concentrate) solution a low or hypotonic gives much of the benefit w out the problems. in my oncology practice we recommend using sodium bicarb mixed w water at approx i teas spoon per quart & our pts use it unlimitedly (remember isotonic is the goal approx .9 percentage concentration as the bodies on na concentration. ( PS I am @ an oncology conf now so this info IS current!!)
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Salt vs. Other Remedies#23
Posted: 9/22/04 at 2:27pm
thanks for the update, sabre!
EddieVarley Profile PhotoEddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Salt vs. Other Remedies#24
Posted: 9/22/04 at 2:37pm
Salt really does help in healing, Ugarte gives you good advice to follow, and as they stated be cautious as it could dry you out.

Last summer I was performing in Little Shop of Horrors at the Trop in Atlantic City and had a nightmare in dealing with the bad air and non-stop smoking of the gamblers, I used the steam room several times a day,drank TONS of water and kept the zinc and Coryza Forte at the ready. On an unrelated note I did win 700 bucks in the nickel slot room!
Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.