Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes

jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#0
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:14pm
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarschanges.html

Here are some examples of changes. I do not like the one at the end of Jedi AT ALL--Anakin's ghost. Discuss.
Updated On: 9/21/04 at 02:14 PM
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#1
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:15pm
Also, before you go out and get this set, you should know that there are some audio problems with the discs. Lucasfilms is trying to say that they're not a big deal so they won't have to reissue, but aparantely it's enough that a lot of people are quite upset. I would hold off a week or so on getting them until they resolve this.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#2
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:16pm
jrb - it didn't open.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#3
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:18pm
fixed--should have known that other mess was hotmail crap. re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#4
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:18pm
WOW! JRB and I agree on something!

If you do a search on Ebay, you can find DVDs for sale that are the ORIGINAL versions of the movies. Basically, these people have taken the laser disc versions from like ten years ago and copied them to DVD. OF course, George Lucas is screaming copyright violation, but he himself had publicly said that the original versions "no longer exist" if they don't exist, how can he claim copyright on them.

Personally, the thing I hate the most about the "changed" versions in that Greedo, not Han, shoots first.

Cheers,
Updated On: 9/21/04 at 02:18 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#5
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:23pm
jrb - I have to agree. And why didn't they replace Guinness with McGregor if that's the direction they were going?
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#6
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:24pm
Are they F'in serious? The ghost thing is the only part of that, that made me mad. Everything else seemed improved, but the ghost..................ERG!!!!
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#7
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:25pm
your grasp on copyright law is astonishing, Rodney.
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#8
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:26pm
I fully agree with Rodney on this one, guys.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#9
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:27pm
Exactly, spider--I have been so flexible on this whole thing until THAT. I will not buy the DVD of the trilogy until he fixes that--it's such a STUPID ****up! I'm LIVID at his stupidity.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#10
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:27pm
I was merely commenting on the thought process of Lucas.

If he says something doesn't exist anymore, then why would he care if someone wants copy it? If he is never going to release it again, then why would he care? It's not taking money out of his pocket...oh wait it is because people won't by the ruined versions.

EddieVarley Profile PhotoEddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#11
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:30pm
Well part of me is just happy they are out, the "Hayden Ghost" shall be explained in Epi.III, seems a Jedi "freezes" the moment his spirit turns to the "Dark Side"...I'm not quite sure how I feel about that yet, but Jedi as a film has always been uneven for me.

I'm looking forward to watching the "Empire of Dreams" doc, on the extras disc, it's a Star Wars day!
Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#12
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:31pm
Hmmmmm. That MIGHT change my mind. They still need to explain why Qui Gonn didn't evaporate.
popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#13
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:34pm
The main audio issue seems to be on Tarkin's line "you would prefer a target, a military target? Then name the system." which is apparently almost inaudible and sounds like it got that way through the master being damaged. The other sound issues are all remixing and channel flipping that the average joe won't notice. I seriously doubt LucasFilm will recall.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#14
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:39pm
It is his property and he has the right to change as he pleases.

I may not be thrilled either, but come ON, people. If this is the worst thing that's happened to you lately, count your blessings.
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#15
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:51pm
WOW

I was unaware of the ghost being changed to Hayden Chistensen. That's BULLSHAT!

I say once Episode Three is in the can take Lucas out back and shoot him.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#16
Posted: 9/21/04 at 3:23pm
Hmmmm....I can kind of see where they're coming from with Annakin, but I agree it is not the best choice. It seems they want Annakin's ghost to be the image of the Annakin before he changed to the dark side as he was fondly remembered. The problem is, by killing the Emperor, he had already reverted back to the good side, so the elder Annakin was appropriate for the ghost image as well. Or maybe, like some of the other changes, they are trying to more smoothly and consistently tie the two trilogies together to more coherently form one continuous story.

Most likely, I'm reading to much into it and it's just a shameless plug for Episode III.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
jacobtsf Profile Photojacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#17
Posted: 9/21/04 at 4:34pm
I love the STAR WARS movie and all of these changes except for the ghost. I mean come on, that is the worst idea for a change.

Everything else is great though.
David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#18
Posted: 9/21/04 at 4:48pm
Eddie's point is growing on me. (That didn't sound right!) Anyway, I think seeing Episode III will confirm whether or not I feel that replacing Anakin in Jedi is a good idea.
CurtainUp2 Profile PhotoCurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#19
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:57pm
Excerpt of review of 'Star Wars Trilogy' DVD from DVDReview.com:

Ive been following the "Star Wars" controversies for many years now and quite frankly, I dont get it. Im not sure why people would get worked up about whether Greedo or Han Solo shoots first. They are both fictional characters, in a fictional world, in a movie! George Lucas could just as well have decided to have Greedo shoot first in the original version and no one would ever have given it a second thought. This brings me to another point the fact that George Lucas can do with his films however he pleases. These are his films and if he would decide tomorrow to have them entirely destroyed, it is well within his rights as the creator and artist to do so and I would respect that. The incessant tirades about the original versions of the films is truly getting tiresome, if not obnoxious and in my opinion many fans are having this deluded sense of entitlement that just because they like and enjoy these films George Lucas has an obligation towards them and frankly, nothing could be further from the truth. Only George Lucas can and should - decide what he considers to be his vision and if new technology accommodates his original vision especially since hes been driving that technology to that point it would almost be a crime to leave these movie landmarks in the rut of their outdated 70s special effects. It is really that simple as long as you dont forget that these are really only movies made for entertainment, and not a religion or something to run your life around.

I tend to agree.

And... LucasFilm responds to the allegations of audio glitches...

Lucasfilm has issued the following statement claiming the audio issues to be deliberate.
"We are always impressed with how closely fans listen to the many different sound mixes we have made for the Star Wars movies over the years. It is flattering to know that, indeed, the audience is listening. Consequently, each mix comes out differently and any changes that you hear on the all-new Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX tracks on the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set are deliberate creative decisions. We can confirm that there are no technical glitches as reported.".

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela
Updated On: 9/21/04 at 07:57 PM
saddle shoe side kick Profile Photosaddle shoe side kick Profile Photo
saddle shoe side kick
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#20
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:17pm
Ok guys, I am a huge star wars nerd and have been for years. My dad, sister, and I all are. I, personally, am very dissapointed that Lucas won't release the originals and has made stupid changes like he did. Uhg...
"I'm a pretty girl, mama." -Penny Lou Pingleton, Hairspray
"You like football, Ed?" "Yeah..." "Good. Me too." -Chad & 'Ed', All Shook Up
Updated On: 9/21/04 at 08:17 PM
saddle shoe side kick
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#21
why on earth did it post 3 times?
saddle shoe side kick
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#22
why on earth did it post 3 times? sorry.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#23
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:18pm
You might want to go back and revise your little trilogy there! re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes
saddle shoe side kick
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Star Wars Trilogy - 2004 DVD Changes#24
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:20pm
lol. sorry. it was a subconscious want for the original trilogy.