Page: 1

"I'm Flying" - Airline Tips & Questions

CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I'm Flying" - Airline Tips & Questions#0
Posted: 9/21/04 at 11:46am
This Thursday will be the first time I have flown on an airplane in YEARS.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make it as smooth as possible?

Not scared to fly, but scared of missing my flight.

Flying on AMERICAN AIRLINES from NC to CA, connection in Chicago.

How early should we arrive?
How big can we have carry-on luggage be? Don't want to check-in luggage.

Any other helpful tips?

Thanks!
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I fly quite frequently so I can tell you to show up at least an hour beforehand. They tell you to get there two hours a lot, but I find that to just be way to early. Most airlines now will let you carry on 1 carry on and one personal item. I will fill a duffel bag and that fits in the overhead and I'll bring my backpack and that's usually enough for a short trip.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Anything you carry-on has to be in compartment, or on lap, correct? I have a large backpack that will fit everything I need to bring. Its one of those rolling luggage backpacks.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you can slide a bag under the seat in front of you.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I fly often. Mostly in and out of O'Hare (Chicago)

Before you plan on putting your bag under your seat, remember that's our leg room for the next X hours.

Before you approach the security line remove ALL metal (coins, watches, keys, cell phones) from your person and put them in your carry-on bag. I have an outside pocket on my bag I use just for this. Keep only your identification and boarding pass in your hand.

If you remove all other metal, you should be able to keep your belt on unless you wear one of those bladder-armor belt buckles like coyboys do.

Wear any kind of shoe other than sneakers. The TSA (Transportation Security Administration) states that you don't HAVE to take off your shoes, but the people at the security checkpoint might ask you too. The easier it is to take you shoes on and off the better off you are.

You will be required to take off any jackets, blazers, coats, etc. you're wearing and place them in the little rubbermaid bins and put them throught the scanner.

After you've placed all your stuff on the belt, step right in front of the metal detector, make eye contact with the TSA agent who will give you a come-on gesture, step through briskly, he/she will nod, say OK, etc. Go the the far end of the belt and retrieve your stuff.

I wish I had my bag here to measure. It fits perfectly. I'd say it's about 12 inches wide, 24 inches long, and about 10 inches deep. It's a roller bag and it will fit in length-wise in the overhead compartments of most jets. The only problem I've had is with the smaller puddle-jumper jets.

You mention you're stopping in Chicago. Don't leave the secure area while in Chicago or you'll have to go back through security.

Most airports are set-up to where you man go from any gate to any other gate without going through security again. O'Hare is definetly like that.

How long to arrive at the airport? That depends on how big the airport is and the time of day and day of week.

Larger airports are better because they have been quicker to add more security checkpoints. Smaller airports, do not have enough space to add more security checkpoints, so they tend to be worse.

O'Hare at 6am on Monday is a breeze. 15 minutes from front door to the plane. Four hours later... much worse.

I would say plan on walking in the front door of the airport one and a half hours prior to the scheduled departure time.

If you are not checking bags, try to use the airlines ticket atm rather than standing in line at the ticket counter to get your boarding pass.

For United flights you just swipe you credit card to identify yourself and the thing will print your boarding pass.

By the way, the Salt Lake City airport has the MOST sensitive metal detectors in the WORLD. My thin, wire-frame glasses set it off!
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
wowzers! VERY detailed. re: 'I'm Flying' - Airline Tips & Questions
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have flown to Dallas, Denver, Toronto, Nashville, Raleigh and Ohio in the last eight weeks. Rodney's advice is very good. Many overhead compartments are now smaller than they used to be. You will probably need to check a rolling duffle. It won't fit under a seat. I carry a 20" bag and a back pack and was able to carry both on board on all flights. I always arrive 1.5 to 2 hours in advance. Security screening can take forever at certain times of the day. I use e-ticket check in and it only takes minutes as opposed to having to stand in a cue from 30 to 60 minutes. I wear no metal at all, not on shoes, belt, jewelry, etc. It makes it easier. I have had the tin foil wrapper on my Breathsavers set off the machine, so I now make sure that everything is in my backpack.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tin-foil wrapper on the breath-savers... that's worse than my wire frame glasses story... damn!
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Also NOTHING w a blade ie nail clippers a point ie knitting needles. A small pair of tennis style socks to wear if y do have to take off yr shoes & walk any distance ( the carpets are Yuch & the floors v cold & slippery) Lap tops are ok but usually req seperate screening.
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
The Grovers Corners Yenta
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I fly a few times a year on American from Hartford to San Jose via Chicago. One good thing that American does is announce your departing gate before you land in Chicago. Check it out on the terminal map in the airline magazine. This way you will know hat exactly where you are going. Believe me, this helps. Are you a fan of Dunkin Donuts coffee? If so, there is one in the American terminal. I haven't found any Dunkin Donuts in California or at least in the San Jose area, so I have my last fill up in Chicago!
"Friends are the people you chose as family."....Me.
laactress Profile Photolaactress Profile Photo
laactress
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I fly all the time all over the place and O'Hare is one of the biggest airports around and American Airlines is one of the biggest terminals so hopefully you will have enough time to switch planes or you will be RUNNING! Also, where in CA are you flying to? I live in LA and can tell you that LAX is relally easy to get around in. Also I would definitly consider bringing one of those rolling backpacks, it's easy on your back and you can fit lots of stuff in them! I hope that helped a bit! O Yeah and be to the airport about 1 1/2 to 2 hours early that should be PLENTY of time.
It started with a sipmle idea, collecting one paper clip for every life lost, the feelings that connect us...are greater than those that divide us!
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't speak so much for domestic flights since I've only gone on one domestic trip and most of my flights are trans-Atlantic. But airlines usually tell you the size and weight limits they will allow for carry-on luggage. It might be on their web site.
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PM me if you need any more questions answered. I fly about four times per month and know most of the airports and airlines very well.
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Since 9/11 I have done everything possible to minimize what I carry on. In my past 8 or 9 flights, I've been able to clear security with my wallet and a paperback book. This makes getting through security almost painless. No bag to search, no undies to hold up in the air...

If I could change one thing about flying today, it would be the number of people that carry on bags... especially the idiots with huge bags that take up half of a compartment, then necessitating others inconvenience. If you don't think it will fit under the seat, then check it... it'll be easier for you, and me.
Hamlet's father.