Page: 1

voices...

Guido Contini Profile PhotoGuido Contini Profile Photo
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
voices...#0
Posted: 9/20/04 at 5:57pm
Lately I've been obsessing with not-so-well known singers...such as Russell Watson and Peter Cincotti. Is anyone familiar with these guys, or have any others that I might enjoy? I'm trying to get away from my secular music roots, I hear enough of that crap at work. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,

~ GC ~
"Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." CLAYTON HAMILTON, "Theory of the Theatre" "I think theater ought to be theatrical ... you know, shuffling the pack in different ways so that it's -- there's always some kind of ambush involved in the experience. You're being ambushed by an unexpected word, or by an elephant falling out of the cupboard, whatever it is." TOM STOPPARD
touchmeinthemorning Profile Phototouchmeinthemorning Profile Photo
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#1
Posted: 9/20/04 at 6:01pm
Other legit voices:

Andrea Bocelli
Franco Corelli
Josh Groban
Anthony Warlow

Pop voices:

Jason Mraz
Rachelle Farrell (sp?)

I don't know if that's the sort of thing you're looking for or not, but that may help.
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#2
Posted: 9/20/04 at 6:15pm
thanks for those tmitm, I actually own EVERY Andrea Bocelli cd in print, and both of Josh Groban's and Jason Mraz's as well. (yeah, I'm a CD freak...2400 and counting)
"Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." CLAYTON HAMILTON, "Theory of the Theatre" "I think theater ought to be theatrical ... you know, shuffling the pack in different ways so that it's -- there's always some kind of ambush involved in the experience. You're being ambushed by an unexpected word, or by an elephant falling out of the cupboard, whatever it is." TOM STOPPARD
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#3
Posted: 9/20/04 at 6:20pm
OK...then try these on for size:

Michael Buble and Jane Monheit (my favorite new jazz voices)

also, for sort of a more legit sound, try Mario Frangoulis and Joshua Payne.
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#4
Posted: 9/20/04 at 6:25pm
I do also own Michael Buble's album as well...but I love it too. Have you ever heard of Matt Dusk? He's pretty swell for a jazz musician. Or Brian Culbertson if you like jazz with very limited vocals.
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#5
Posted: 9/20/04 at 6:25pm
Matt Dusk I don't know of....I'm off to search for some. =)
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#6
Posted: 9/20/04 at 6:27pm
anything off his album "Two Shots" is splendid..

He's also REALLY handsome
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#7
Posted: 9/20/04 at 6:32pm
Yes, he is a looker.

His sound is very Sinatra (like most of these young ones). But, his sound is a little more lyrical. I dig.
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#8
Posted: 9/20/04 at 6:34pm
yay, I've created another Matt-er. (yes, it's actually one of his underground fan clubs)
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#9
Posted: 9/20/04 at 6:46pm
What are the chances of him loving me? j/k
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#10
Posted: 9/20/04 at 6:47pm
I dunno,....suppose there's only one way to find out eh?
Adoannie925 Profile PhotoAdoannie925 Profile Photo
Adoannie925
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: voices...#11
Posted: 9/20/04 at 8:22pm
I'm pretty sure she's well known in the opera world, but if you like legit voices, have you listened to Natalie Dessay?
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#12
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:42am
No, I haven't...but I'll be sure to. Thanks
midnghtdolphin Profile Photomidnghtdolphin Profile Photo
midnghtdolphin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#13
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:44am
if you want broadway, what about linda eder? (yeah, she's pretty well known, but still... or adam pascal and yes, i know he's really well known too...) go for darren hayes too. he was the lead singer of savage garden before they broke up, but his solo cd's pretty good.
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#14
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:47am
I've actually heard great things about Darren's solo stuff. I met him after a SG show a few years back...he's a hell of a nice guy.
midnghtdolphin Profile Photomidnghtdolphin Profile Photo
midnghtdolphin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#15
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:49am
i have spin his first solo cd, and he just released a new one, but not in the US, so i'm trying to decide if i really want to get it (which i do, but i'm in college and it's like $20 on amazon... and i just ordered adam's new cd, so ya know...) but you should totally check out spin. it's definitely worth it.
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#16
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:53am
I intend to. re: voices...
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#17
Posted: 9/21/04 at 10:39am
Natalie Dessay is great. I got to see her do La Sonnambula a couple weeks ago, and was thoroughly impressed. Her first big aria ends with like a high E, and she did it whiole twirling around in circles with her arms out. Kind of awesome, really. And showy...the way I like my opera singers. =)
Kelliexo90 Profile PhotoKelliexo90 Profile Photo
Kelliexo90
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: voices...#18
Posted: 9/21/04 at 10:53am
I saw Jane Monheit in concert once. I uh..I fell asleep...
What is Broadway? A street? Some say it's a street. Some say it is the best street in the world. Others think its terrible. That's the beauty of it, it's terribly beautiful. Some hate it and don't know why. Others love it and don't know why. That's what makes it so wonderful, it's a mystery.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#19
Posted: 9/21/04 at 10:54am
Try Joss Stone.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
joeyjoe Profile Photojoeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#20
Posted: 9/21/04 at 10:56am
Kellie, Jane Monheit sings Over The Rainbow during the end credits of Sky Captain
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#21
Posted: 9/21/04 at 4:21pm
I love Joss Stone, Rath. I have yet to purchase her album, but I will be soon. There's actually a couple "pop-jazz" artists I'm digging right now too...Jamie Cullum and Toby Lightman. Both very good and put a different spin on the usual jazz/pop sound.
Kelliexo90 Profile PhotoKelliexo90 Profile Photo
Kelliexo90
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: voices...#22
Posted: 9/21/04 at 4:29pm
Kellie, Jane Monheit sings Over The Rainbow during the end credits of Sky Captain

Cool. I haven't seen it. But she did sing "Over The Rainbow" when I saw her last year.

I would suggest Ashley Gearing. She is country but uhh, good singer.
What is Broadway? A street? Some say it's a street. Some say it is the best street in the world. Others think its terrible. That's the beauty of it, it's terribly beautiful. Some hate it and don't know why. Others love it and don't know why. That's what makes it so wonderful, it's a mystery.
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: voices...#23
Posted: 9/21/04 at 4:31pm
don't worry kellie....nothing wrong with a little country here and there.