Yom Kippur

The Grovers Corners Yenta
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yom Kippur#0
Posted: 9/20/04 at 2:23pm
Yom Kippur starts Friday night at sundown. What will you be atoning for? I wish to be forgiven for foul language, eating grapes in the grocery store, not being attentive enough to my mother, and I probably have many more that I will come up with later on. Please share yours.
"Friends are the people you chose as family."....Me.
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#1
Posted: 9/20/04 at 3:29pm
For the sin of being stiff neck- ed.
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#2
Posted: 9/20/04 at 3:30pm
For the sin of spending most of my work day on this board.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#3
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:14pm
Good one Rath! I agree. Also those who dont observe Yom Kippur. please feel free to post here as well. It couldnt hurt
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#4
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:15pm
I don't observe and I posted anyway. I'm presumptuous though and believe everyone always wants to hear what I have to say.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Amneris Profile PhotoAmneris Profile Photo
Amneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#5
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:24pm
I will be atoning for the fact that im jewish..the writers of hairspray are jewish...a few of the producers of HS are jewish.. the house manager is jewish but, i was told I have to work on friday night. My parents are SO not happy right now.
laactress Profile Photolaactress Profile Photo
laactress
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#6
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:45pm
I will be atoning for the fact that I would rather go to my friends show on Friday night then go to Temple! Hey, I can just go on Saturday, right? And for the fact that I just can not fast. I am Jewish and just can't do it. Sorry fellow Jewish members.
It started with a sipmle idea, collecting one paper clip for every life lost, the feelings that connect us...are greater than those that divide us!
touchmeinthemorning Profile Phototouchmeinthemorning Profile Photo
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#7
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:46pm
I will atone for mocking the Jews for Jesus lady.
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#8
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:48pm
I cannot fast because I have diabetes. Yom Kippur is not exactly about fasting. It is about thinking about what you are going to do with your life and where you are going.
CurtainUp Profile PhotoCurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#9
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:12pm
selfishness, laziness
Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#10
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:28pm
I'll be doing a special sort of atoning called "going to see Here Lies Jenny".
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#11
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:50pm
I will be atoning for this:

"Yumm - Kippers - mmmmm" - Homer Simpson
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#12
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:50pm
I am amazed at the fact that some people don not take this very holy day seriously. No one is ever without sin. Perhaps, I need to be less critcal and more tolerant of others.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#13
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:52pm
For seeing NAKED BOYS SINGING! so many times and wishing the cast wore less!
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
thirdrowcenter Profile Photothirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#14
Posted: 9/21/04 at 10:05pm
I try very hard to fast but I cave at about 3:00. I will atone for being so impatient with my mother. She has lost her hearing and it is so hard to communicate with her. She can't see either. I always seem to be screaming at her and I hate myself afterwards. God forgive me for being such a nervous wreck.
ElphieDefiesGravity Profile PhotoElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#15
Posted: 9/21/04 at 10:35pm
I will be atoning for being mean to my sister and disrespectful to my parents and other stuff like that. I should also probably atone for spending too much time on broadwayworld.com, but this is just too good to give up! re: Yom Kippur
I am NOT looking forward to the fast, but here is a tip to make it easier: don't stuff yourself on Friday night, because it will make you hungrier. However, don't starve yourself either. Eat a normal size dinner.
"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#16
Posted: 9/21/04 at 10:39pm
While I am not Jewish, I like the idea of a day set aside to exam your life. I think I would like to atone for not being there for my friends and family as I should have been. You can always try a little harder to be kinder, I think that is what I'llbe working on in the coming year.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
NoDayButToday2 Profile PhotoNoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#17
Posted: 9/21/04 at 11:08pm
I'm not Jewish, but I totaly respect the idea of having a day set aside to set your priorities/goals straight for the next year. One major thing I'm working on is thinking less of myself and more about those around me.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#18
Posted: 9/22/04 at 8:15pm
This thread seems to be sparking some ideas in people. So many regard Yom Kippur as a dreaded and depressing holidays around. Personally, I think it is spiritually uplifting. Please think about it. It is the new year and we start it of by atoning for our sins.
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#19
Posted: 9/22/04 at 8:24pm
I was raised Jewish but I really don't believe in organized religion. In my opinion, a peoples' spiritual beliefs shouldn't be something that's drilled into them when they're young and vulnerable.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#20
Posted: 9/22/04 at 8:32pm
I dont totally agree with you Mattio. I think that Yom Kippur gives a person free reign over what they want to do with their life and what direction they want to go in.
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#21
Posted: 9/22/04 at 8:34pm
Oh it has nothing to do with Yom Kippur or even Judaism in particular. I just think that worship and spiritual belief is something that people should decide on their own.
shesings Profile Photoshesings Profile Photo
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#22
Posted: 9/22/04 at 8:37pm
us catholics just get to feel guilty about stuff all year long! i like that the jewish people only have to do it once a year! it seems smarter!
Updated On: 9/22/04 at 08:37 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Yom Kippur#23
Posted: 9/22/04 at 8:41pm
Shesings.........but we have Jewish mothers that make us feel guilty about many things. All year round!
buddha2 Profile Photobuddha2 Profile Photo
buddha2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Yom Kippur#24
Posted: 9/22/04 at 9:28pm
anyway, whats a good drink for yom kipeee day