Page: 1

CBS comes clean; but who's behind the memos?

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All the conspiracy theories have been dished already, but now that CBS has 'fessed up, to a point ... what's behind all this? The obvious spin -- ravinous Rove-ian rogues put somebody up to it -- seems almost too easy. More critically, what's the shelf-life of this controversy?
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 9/20/04 at 01:11 PM
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Could be yesterday's news. Could be massive chaos. Cable news shows debate (not necessarily because of this scandal) the not so distant future demise of network news. But, could this aid that theory?

papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well, conspiracy theories might not get ya too far when you read what bill burkett (the alleged source) wrote not too long ago...

"i know from your files that we have now reassembled "

http://www.onlinejournal.com/Commentary/082504Burkett/082504burkett.html
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
new rather scandal...#3
Posted: 9/20/04 at 6:08pm

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
CurtainUp2 Profile PhotoCurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
new rather scandal...#4
Posted: 9/20/04 at 7:46pm
The fact that the documents were forged doesn't negate the fact that six months of Dubya's National Guard duty are still unaccounted for. Unfortuneatly, all this brouhaha (just thought of a new word to add to the "Favorite Word" thread) has most likely only served to help our Leader in Thief.
There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
new rather scandal...#5
Posted: 9/20/04 at 8:35pm
yep, curtain, you know what they say about the best intentions...

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
new rather scandal...#6
Posted: 9/20/04 at 9:33pm
Don't Forget: The Scandal Is the President's Military Service--Dring Vietnam and in Iraq--the Rather Issue Is Only a Smokescreen

=====

Dems admit bad documents, but push charges

WASHINGTON, Sept. 20 (UPI) -- Democrats Monday acknowledged some documents it touted in attacking President Bush's U.S. military record were false, but continued to push other evidence.

"Now that we know what's not true, let's focus on the facts," Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe said in a statement regarding CBS's News' apology for broadcasting a Sept. 8 story about Bush's military service based on documents of dubious merit.

"Today we learned that George Bush did not earn enough points to qualify for an honorable discharge and that he has given three different explanations for why he missed his physical," McAuliffe continued in the statement.

"The American people already know that strings were pulled to get President Bush into the Guard; and while in the Guard he missed months of service and was grounded. ... But what we still don't know is why Bush didn't fulfill his duty to his country or why he has continued to lie to the American people about it," he said.

Democrats had used the CBS report in their charges that Bush did not fulfill his duty in the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War.

Copyright 2004 by United Press International.
All rights reserved.

=====

CBS used faulty intelligence and forged documents and ran a story on them. Bush used faulty intelligence and forged documents and went to war on them. Who killed more innocent people?
Dems Push Charges
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
new rather scandal...#7
Posted: 9/20/04 at 11:14pm
oh if only cbs had listened when the wizard told them, "pay no attention to the man with the forged documents, i don't care what max cleland and joe lockhart say, run away, run away." oh it's gonna be a long few weeks, aunt gussie!

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm curious, MamaLovesMooshu, why do YOU think Bush stopped showing up for Guard duty. Why do YOU think he missed his physical?
Rose_MacShane Profile PhotoRose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My theory is the documents are real but the administration sent their hired goons out and threatened to break some thumbs if CBS didn't resract their statements.
http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
smells like desperation#10
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:15am
oh punky, are you really dan rather? and rose, be careful whaat you say, don't you know the "goons" are listening?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Goons and Thugs#11
Posted: 9/21/04 at 10:09am
Aw shaddup.

There's only one "goon" listening here and he thinks he can bully people. But he can't because we're onto him.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
demonize thine enemy#12
Posted: 9/21/04 at 10:44am
oh, punky, you have to work on your self esteem issues, no one thinks you're a goon or a thug, just misguided and maybe a bit addled.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
demonize thine enemy#13
Posted: 9/21/04 at 11:06am
The problem with this whole "six months missing" thing is this: I was in the military for ten years. The only thing that is recorded on a day to day basis is who is on leave (vacation), who is missing, etc. So a year might go by before your name shows up on a muster report. Does that mean you weren't there?
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
demonize thine enemy#14
Posted: 9/21/04 at 11:56am
I'm sure you were serving your country honorably, but George Bush wasn't there. He was partying on massive amounts of cocaine.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
demonize thine enemy#15
Posted: 9/21/04 at 11:59am
punky you act as if cocaine is a bad thing. what'd gw do? steal an 8-ball from you? snort the pile instead of doing a line on your mirror?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
demonize thine enemy#16
Posted: 9/21/04 at 12:01pm
papa--are you going to justify cocaine now?

Clinton was given hell for a joint and you are going to justify cocaine in the party that gave us "Just Say No"?
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
demonize thine enemy#17
Posted: 9/21/04 at 12:05pm
omg, jrb, i'll include a signal when i'm goading for goading's sake from now on since you've obviously lost any perspective.

how about i include *wink, wink*? that work for ya?

*shaking head*

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
demonize thine enemy#18
Posted: 9/21/04 at 12:06pm
really? you were being sarcastic? really? it's so hard to tell from you.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bush's "Lost" Year: 1972#19
Posted: 9/21/04 at 1:38pm
For those who missed the Times article yesterday, see link.

Highlights:

"A wider examination of his life in 1972, based on dozens of interviews and other documents released by the White House over the years, yields a portrait of a young man like many other young men of privilege in that turbulent time - entitled, unanchored and safe from combat, bouncing from a National Guard slot made possible by his family's prominence to a political job arranged through his father."

" Mr. Allison's widow, Linda, who volunteered in the Blount campaign, said she became curious about the young Mr. Bush's job after noticing his coming into the office late and leaving early. "I asked Jimmy, 'What does Georgie do?' ' Mrs. Allison, 73, said in an interview, repeating the account she had given to Salon, the online publication. "He just said George had called him and told him that Georgie was having some difficulties in Houston. Big George thought it would be beneficial to the family and George Jr. for him to come to Alabama to work on the campaign with Jimmy."

Moving to Alabama meant taking a temporary leave from his Texas unit; Guard officials say it was not unusual for civilian officers to take jobs away from their home states. Mr. Bush did not wait to line up a spot with an Alabama unit before arriving in Montgomery in mid-May.

Mr. Bush first tried to join the 9921 Air Reserve Squadron in Montgomery, which was classified as a "standby reserve unit." Unlike his unit in Texas, the Alabama unit had no planes and its members were neither paid nor required to attend monthly drills.

In July, though, senior Guard officials rejected Mr. Bush's transfer, saying he had to continue with a "ready reserve unit," which requires monthly attendance. In that same period - the precise timing is not clear - he did something that brought his dwindling flying ambitions to a close: he failed to take the annual physical exam required of all pilots.

In his 1999 book, "A Charge to Keep," Mr. Bush did not mention the missed physical or the suspension. "I was almost finished with my commitment in the Air National Guard," he wrote, "and was no longer flying because the F-102 jet I had trained in was being replaced by a different fighter." In fact, when he missed his physical he had almost two years left in the Guard.

Later, an aide to Mr. Bush explained that he had missed his physical because he was waiting to get examined by his personal physician. But pilots were required to be examined by military doctors.

More recently the White House has said that he did not take the physical because Alabama units were not flying the F-102. But his second application to transfer to Alabama - after the rejected transfer in July - was filed in September 1972, at least two months after he had missed his physical.

Whatever the reason, on Sept. 5, Mr. Bush was notified that he was suspended from flying "for failure to accomplish annual medical examination."

The months in Montgomery were part of what Mr. Bush has described as his "nomadic" years, when he "kind of floated and saw a lot of life." No one remembers him worrying about his Guard status - or, for that matter, much of anything else
George Bush in '72: Unanchored in Turbulent Time
Rose_MacShane Profile PhotoRose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bush's 'Lost' Year: 1972#20
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:17pm
Papa, that's why I don't give my name and other particulars out over the internet. Bush's 'Lost' Year: 1972
http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bush's 'Lost' Year: 1972#21
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:18pm
I'm always offering my particulars over the internet. Bush's 'Lost' Year: 1972