Page: 1

Jane Olivor

KMF_NYC Profile PhotoKMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jane Olivor#0
Posted: 9/20/04 at 12:28am
Does anyone else simply love her voice as much as I do? I am sitting her elistening to the Chasing Rainbows recording...it is so beautiful (and NO, I have not just broken up with someone) -- I just love,love love great love ballads
"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie
Cyndy Profile PhotoCyndy Profile Photo
Cyndy
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jane Olivor#1
Posted: 9/20/04 at 12:35am
I absolutely LOVE Jane Olivor...unfortunately all my recordings of her are on vinyl!! Been a fan for a looooong time. Suppose I should get caught up though and get something that I can actually play. Very glad that she's performing again.
"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." Henry Miller
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jane Olivor#2
Posted: 9/20/04 at 12:40am
I adore her...Stay the Night...luscious...She's an underappreciated artist.
KMF_NYC Profile PhotoKMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jane Olivor#3
Posted: 9/20/04 at 12:43am
that's next in que...
"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jane Olivor#4
Posted: 9/20/04 at 9:07am
Gorgeous voice.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Broadwayboobs Profile PhotoBroadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jane Olivor#5
Posted: 9/20/04 at 9:19am
LOVE her !!!! Have all her albums on vinyl, but now i have my 2 favorites on CD..."First Night" and "Chasing Rainbows". I saw her years ago at The Garden State Arts Center...her voice with a sunset, who could ask for anything more?
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
rlbgbc Profile Photorlbgbc Profile Photo
rlbgbc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jane Olivor#6
Posted: 9/20/04 at 9:44am
I knew this girl, Deborah Kelman, who paid BIG BUCKS to have Jane Olivor's arrangement of "Some Enchanted Evening" transcribed from the record to a piano chart. Considered it her signature tune. She could sing -- but she was a little psycho. I'm free-associating here, bear with me. Ray Walker knows her.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jane Olivor#7
Posted: 9/20/04 at 1:02pm
I was a mega fan, circa 1978. All the albums, then saw her at Carnegie Hall. I was crazy about "Solitaire" and "You Want to Be Loved" and "Morning Noon and Nightime" and "You Are..." to name but a few off the top o'my head. Replaaced my scratched albums when the CDS came out. But there's much speculation about why she left the biz so abruptly. Trying to remember ... at Carenegie I recall how inaccessible she was as a performed -- if my memory serves, she sang about 50 minutes, and did maybe one encore. No sense of making the concert an event. She didn't connnect as well with the audience as she connects with us in our homes, via recordings. And yet, on the live album, she sounds fairly engaged. So go figure. I've heard from friends who actually worked with/around her, that she was at best erratic, adoring most of all the perfection possible in the studio (a la Streisand, to whom she was oft compared back then, vocally) and perhaps wasn't really in love with performing.

The voice is big and unique, with those French chanteuse flourishes -- and she should've had a shot at the Celion Dion gigs -- you know, deserving her own TITANTIC theme to garner a far bigger audience. Though she sold records, she was never really played widely on the radio.

The recordings hold up awfully well. When I'm in a real retro mood, I put her on, and the late, great Nancy LaMott. Sometimes, that kind of sheer emotionalism, a bit studied though it may be, is just too lacking in current artists.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 9/20/04 at 01:02 PM