Page: 1

He's a Lady - The Drag Competition

millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He's a Lady - The Drag Competition#0
Posted: 9/18/04 at 7:33pm
Anyone hear of this new reality series on TBS? I forgot when they said it was going to air, but they said it was from the makers of "Mrs. Doubtfire," which made me think of Harvey Fierstein. Men will compete and dress up as ladies, and they will see who is most lady-like.
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 9/18/04 at 07:33 PM
FosseBoi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: He's a Lady - The Drag Competition#1
Posted: 9/18/04 at 10:25pm
OH MY GOD! Are they straight or are they real drags? If their real drags then it probably wont be as funny as if they used straight guys. I cant wate for this!LOL!re: He's a Lady - The Drag Competition
"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line
NoDayButToday2 Profile PhotoNoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: He's a Lady - The Drag Competition#2
Posted: 9/18/04 at 10:31pm
Hmmmmm... Sounds a little corny... But I will check it out before I decide to bash it. I am pleased with the fact that the producers are willing to air something so 'edgy' though...
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: He's a Lady - The Drag Competition#3
Posted: 9/18/04 at 10:33pm
I don't think they are real drags. The commercial didn't say much. They showed normal guys...but I think they were putting on makeup or something.
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: He's a Lady - The Drag Competition#4
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:03pm
yes - TV has definately hit rock bottom - what a waste of time.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: He's a Lady - The Drag Competition#5
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:24pm
I should put her back up - I just a lil needed a break.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
TxTwoStep Profile PhotoTxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: He's a Lady - The Drag Competition#6
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:25pm
yeah, and THE FRONTRUNNER still isn't a film, all these years later after various options being taken out, and folks like Streisand and Paul Newman and Robert Redford interested. But there are multiple incarnations of LA CAGE and variations on PARTNERS. Oy.

The print promo on the show i saw said the men were enlisted thinking they would be on some other type of reality show, then shown their new home, called "The Doll House." If that had been me, i would never have stayed, no matter what the prize money. But those willing to go on TV for just the excitement and fame might have little taste. The trend to introduce conflict by "surprise twists" is definitely pushing the taste level lower exponentially.

They are supposedly to live as much like women as possible, which may mean more than dressing in drag. There may be some lowbrow humor in it, but i fear the whole thing might be more sexist or misogynist than whimsical. What hath MARS/VENUS wrought?

Of course, the only way to find out is to watch it. And if you hate most of what TV is doing these days, the only constructive thing to do is support the shows you do like---letting the advertisers know, writing in to save critically successful but audience challenged shows, alerting media that takes letters to the editor seriously, etcetera.
Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."
Mythus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: He's a Lady - The Drag Competition#7
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:46pm
I'd rather watch a show about a gay men who dresses in drag. Actually, I'd watch a show like that over anything. Something about men in drag...I don't know, but it's great.
TxTwoStep Profile PhotoTxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: He's a Lady - The Drag Competition#8
Posted: 9/20/04 at 4:52pm
to each his own, but again posting somewhere like here about TV is preaching to the choir. Instead, try the forums on the network websites, where at least the suits might lurk to test "reaction." Just a thought.
Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: He's a Lady - The Drag Competition#9
Posted: 9/20/04 at 8:08pm
What exactly constitutes living like a woman? Do they get artificially induced menstrual cramps or what?

I'm offended and I've never heard of this show outside this thread.
Mythus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: He's a Lady - The Drag Competition#10
Posted: 9/20/04 at 9:03pm
I think it's just a big conspiracy. They're trying to turn these guys into gay men.