Page: 1

Toronto Film Fest

sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Toronto Film Fest#0
Posted: 9/11/04 at 8:45am
So I am going to try to attend a few industry screenings. One of the sub themes this year is films about theatre or of theatre productions. Being Julia was the 1st one . It is based on a Somerset Maugham novel cld "Theatre". Sadly I cannot recommend it. The story is about the time in the 30's when there were still actor /managers (Jeremy Irons) who is married to his aging leading lady Julia ( Annette Benning) She's bored & unhappy & has a fling w a golddigging young American who uses her to help his girlfriend advance her career. It gets very "All About Eve" here but Julia triumphs cutting her rival to shreads on stage . Beautifully photographed , lovely costumes it was shot in Hungary to get "period" feel. But there is nothing to the film no real conflict resolution. Benning does a passible English accent but so what?
Micheal Gambon does a nice extended cameo as the ghost of her mentor who advises her but on the whole most of the supporting characters are really just extended cameos. A total waste of talent. Hoping to see Stage Beauty next about the Restoration period. The story is about the last English actor to play a woman & the 1st woman to play a woman on stage. Should be interesting!
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
Updated On: 9/11/04 at 08:45 AM
judy_in_disguise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Toronto Film Fest#1
Posted: 9/11/04 at 10:30am
thanks Sabrelady! :)
I was supposed to volunteer a few nights at the film festival but couldn't get the time off from my other job. There's always next year.....
BlueWizard Profile PhotoBlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Toronto Film Fest#2
Posted: 9/11/04 at 10:49am
If any of you are going to a screening at the Isabel Bader Theatre, drop by and say hello - I live on campus at Victoria College at U of T, where the theatre is located.

I was lucky enough to meet Ian McKellen last year at the Bader theatre when they screened Emile. Yay for perks of living on campus!
BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Toronto Film Fest#3
Posted: 9/11/04 at 11:51am
OHMYGAWDD!!!! BlueWizard!! I am a Vic alum!!( & a Marg Ad girl) & actually I will be doing 1 shift in the aft/eve of Tues @ the Bader theatre. (sdon't know what til I get there!) Come By me!!
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
Updated On: 9/11/04 at 11:51 AM
BlueWizard Profile PhotoBlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Toronto Film Fest#4
Posted: 9/11/04 at 6:52pm
My god, you're kidding!! Small world, truly. I was a MargAd boy for 2 years!! (Best years of my life - I love MargAd!) Now I'm in South House. Yay Vic!

I'll PM you!
BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 9/11/04 at 06:52 PM