Page: 1

Now it's Ivan

South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Now it's Ivan#0
Posted: 9/9/04 at 2:33pm
I can't believe it! We just got our power, telephone and cable back after Frances now Ivan has the potential of hitting us, and this time much harder.

Have you heard what it did to Grenada? 90% of the housing has been damaged there.
Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
bmeonbway2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Now it's Ivan#1
Posted: 9/9/04 at 2:36pm
I'm very anxious. We will have to evacuate again, but I don't know where we should book a hotel. It looks like it will go through the center of the state! Any ideas? We have a hotel booked in Northwest Broward, but that's because it's close to my parents.
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Now it's Ivan#2
Posted: 9/9/04 at 2:54pm
Now it's a category 5 and that's the worst!!
bmeonbway2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Now it's Ivan#3
Posted: 9/9/04 at 2:57pm
Yes, but the last update I heard was that it will decrease in strength to a 4... regardless, that can wreak horrific damage. Frances was a 1 and we are still rebuilding- many areas of Palm Beach are still without power.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Now it's Ivan#4
Posted: 9/9/04 at 2:57pm
stay safe you guys. :-/
bmeonbway2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Now it's Ivan#5
Posted: 9/9/04 at 3:09pm
We're trying to.... right now watches have been issued up through Cuba. They really don't know where it will go, which is normal since nature is impossible to predict. From the model they have on the news now, it looks as it will follow a similar path to Charley. The fun never ends in Florida!

For those of you in Florida, make sure to fill up your cars with gasoline before they run out again! I went earlier and they were already getting crowded.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Now it's Ivan#6
Posted: 9/9/04 at 3:10pm
I have an aunt who lives in Florida, about 90 miles from palm beach. I have been watching the news updates on MSNBC.
South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Now it's Ivan#7
Posted: 9/9/04 at 3:21pm
I have to say, I am so sick of watching the weather channel. After this hurricane season I may not turn it on again til next year.
Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
CurtainUp2 Profile PhotoCurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Now it's Ivan#8
Posted: 9/9/04 at 3:46pm
What's the latest? When and where in Florida is it supposed to hit? I have friends in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Stay safe all!
There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela
bmeonbway2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Now it's Ivan#9
Posted: 9/9/04 at 4:16pm
They may know more after the 5pm advisory. Ugh.. the University just sent out a mass email that they will possibly be closed on Monday. This is in Coral Gables, which is about 45 miles from Fort Lauderdale. With Hurricane Andrew, Miami was devestated, but Fort Lauderdale was relatively unscathed. We are hoping it turns... which makes me feel horrible knowing I'm wishing harm on other people, so... I hope it dissipates into the ocean and turns into a mild rainstorm while turing away from Florida.
Updated On: 9/9/04 at 04:16 PM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Now it's Ivan#10
Posted: 9/9/04 at 4:19pm
I know you hate the weather channel Marc, but where would we be without it?
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Now it's Ivan#11
Posted: 9/9/04 at 6:11pm
A close friend of mine is a 'sector manager' for FEMA, and is, of course, in Florida right now. I just got a message from her that included this update:

"More damages than what can be shown on TV or weather channel, which ususally stays in one or two locations. Most people are still with out power, and water and ice are critical in this 90 degree weather. The hotel we are at is one of few up and running. Most businesses still closed because of no power.

It's a mess, and certainly don't need another hurricane. So send up some prayers for all the people down here. So many elderly....scary."

Please have good thoughts for everyone down there just trying to get through.
Updated On: 9/9/04 at 06:11 PM
bmeonbway2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Now it's Ivan#12
Posted: 9/9/04 at 6:15pm
It's very true.....Announcements were made on the radio alerting Palm Beach residents to locations with ice and hot food (thanks to the Red Cross). We are fine here, but our hearts go out to those who have been left without material possessions.
N0tThatGirl213 Profile PhotoN0tThatGirl213 Profile Photo
N0tThatGirl213
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Now it's Ivan#13
Posted: 9/10/04 at 6:57pm
Ok well it looks...a little better. I feel *really* bad for the people in Sanford. They're expecting seven foot floodwaters by next week. It looks like the ceiling in my parents' bedroom is gonna fall in...but...the whole room basically has to be knocked down and rebuilt anyway thanks to the tree.

I just love this. After Charley, all my teachers were like "Oh, you've just been through such awful trauma. Let's have a week with no tests or homework."

After Frances it was "We've just missed three days of school. I'll expect you to have all your makeup work tomorrow. Oh and you know that test we missed? That's tomorrow too." In every class.

Now it's "We'll probably be missing school for Ivan next week. Here's all your assignments. However many days we miss, you have to hand the work in the day we get back or it's an instant zero."

Cuz you know, during a hurricane we actually have the *time*, *energy* and *resources* to be doing homework...::sigh::
"A little humility wouldn't hurt." --Ellie, Constantine-Hellblazer, "Dangerous Habits"
Princess MimiChica Profile PhotoPrincess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Now it's Ivan#14
Posted: 9/10/04 at 7:28pm
This is unfrigginbelievable!! I am SO SICK OF HURRICANES!! My parents are freaking out, they want me to get the hell out of Orlando NOW since school will probably be closed...ugh
N0tThatGirl213
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Now it's Ivan#15
Posted: 9/10/04 at 7:30pm
I think Orlando's gonna be okay...::crosses fingers and hopes she hasn't just jinxed herself::

Edit: someone just forwarded this to me...hope you enjoy it.

Ivan's Latest Track...sort of
"A little humility wouldn't hurt." --Ellie, Constantine-Hellblazer, "Dangerous Habits"
Updated On: 9/10/04 at 07:30 PM
N0tThatGirl213
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Now it's Ivan#16
Posted: 9/10/04 at 8:44pm
My history teacher says his theory on the hurricanes is that this is nature's way of punishing us for letting Bush get ahead in the polls.

I think we should change the name to hurri-up-and-wait-canes...ugh.
N0tThatGirl213
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Now it's Ivan#17
Posted: 9/15/04 at 6:23am
If you're in the panhandle, my thoughts are with you today...